Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Friday Five!  (Read 410852 times)

• Liked: 957
Re: Friday Five!
« Reply #6330 on: November 30, 2018, 11:04:53 AM »
If you ask his dj name I can check the veracity of his statements ;) But work like that can vary by the seasons and they do often have to take entry level work if they need income as its not really a transferable skill and they do tend to need flexible jobs. Most of my friends who are weekend warriors in the music scene work as waiters, cooks, and customer service.

I am still not quite up to posting another Friday Five. Anxiety and depression have been winning, the meds for my stomach actually have them as a side effect but I can't eat anything without them, so that's a wonderful catch 22! And my GP still won't send me to a gastroenterologist, going to try to get the immunologist I see in 2 weeks to put in the referral.

But I did finish shopping for my secret santa, so at least there's that!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #6331 on: November 30, 2018, 11:40:04 AM »
3. My body is functioning properly again in the hormone department. Now to get knocked up.  8)

Excellent news!  Have fun with your "project"!
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #6332 on: November 30, 2018, 11:47:48 AM »
FRIDAY!  FRIDAY!  FRIDAY!

My frown has also been turned upside down this week!  Woo hoo!   :D

1.  Tomorrow is my last day teaching baby ballet.  I am not at all sad!  I feel relief and I know this is the best decision.  While I taught for many, many years, I now know what I need when teaching.  I need (a) for the kids to be old enough to WANT to be in class, (b) evening classes after my kiddos are in bed, and (c) to be allowed to create my own choreography.  Taking my Saturday mornings out to teach lessons that I've learned from a video is something a monkey could do.  I just am not enjoying it.  And that's okay.  Draw a line under it and get my weekends back.

2.  Last weekend I ordered Christmas lights for our house (outdoor).  My husband does love to make things harder than they need to be.  As they are not lights that connect to one another, he consulted with an electrical engineer at work   ::)  We now have industrial cable to rewire the lights to make them a continuous line so we don't have extra wires when they are hung from the house.  THIS IS NOT NORMAL.   ;D  But I know it'll look good when it's done.
We hope to get the exterior and interior decorated this weekend. 

3.  Gin advent calendar starts tomorrow!  But I have my work Christmas party so I'll miss my first night.  TK Maxx came through with an appropriate dress that's comfortable for less than £40.  I still hate that I spent £40 on a dress I didn't want but I'm glad I'll be appropriately dressed.  Seriously, who does black tie?  My first one ever.

4.  Sobe (cat) has another urine sample at the vet.  Fingers crossed his UTI is fully cleared.  If it's not, we'll be back tonight for another shot of antibiotics. 

5.  Loving the 4 year old's school at the moment.  Sent through FOUR different dates for "parent crap" at the holidays yesterday.  And we'll get final dates NEXT Friday for which dates we've been allocated based on interest.  <sigh>  These people don't live in the real world.  I have my first board meeting for the school on Monday and I'm dying for them to ask me my first impression.  I'm happy to tell them their communication and lack of planning SUCK ASS.   ;D

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #6333 on: November 30, 2018, 11:48:42 AM »
1.  OH away to Manchester for beer (yes.), so I've been enjoying having the bed to myself and a clean house.
2.  New guy in work - 30 years old - claims to have trained as a pilot, been a resident DJ in Ibiza, a music producer, and extra in Outlander and various other films/shows... so why are you doing an entry level job in a bank through a temp agency?
3.  Happy St Andrews Day to all of us in bonnie Scotland.
4.  Christmas tree going up tomorrow!
5.  Think I might start looking for a new job in the new year.  I need a change.  I made a change not that long ago, but it's proving not to have been a change for the better!  :-X

Oh man!! PLEASE tell us his name so we can give him a google! LOL   With you on the job thing :( Happy St. Andrew's Day friends up north! :)

Nan - I think everybody is slowly dropping like flies here with illnesses :( Hoping you can fight it off.

No real exciting Friday Five to share....

1. Was my birthday yesterday so I got to go to 5 Guys (and husband was down to try to get it back to ours to eat it as well so I could eat in my jammies). Was SO good but definitely over-ate and felt it this morning LOL

2. Was meant to go to a friend's son's gig tomorrow night in Reading, but the show got cancelled/postponed because some of the other bands were "messing around the promoter". Just means my Saturday night is back to being open! WOO! (positive thing because there is just so much going on in the next month period). I will be trying to get a game of squash in on Sunday though...I need to start being active again vs the winter "sofa slug" thing because it's not a good look for me.

3. Not so motivated to work today (I'm normally not but I'm even less motivated than usual LOL). Really do need to get on looking for a new job.

4. Going to try to finish up all my Christmas shopping so I can be completely sorted and just enjoy the next few weeks! I'm nearly done, just a few small bits and bobs to get.

5. Just tried the "Buttermilk Chicken and Chili Mayo" flavoured crisps I got at Tesco and they are preeeetttyyy good. Makes me think about how we live in a pretty great time for crisp flavours hahah
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #6334 on: November 30, 2018, 11:49:31 AM »
Albatross, I call BS on the pilot thing.  Maybe he has a recreational light aircraft license but nothing more than that I suspect.

Kristie, great news about the hormones and fingers crossed that reset is what you need to conceive.  If nothing else, enjoy the practice.   ;D

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #6335 on: November 30, 2018, 11:52:30 AM »
KF! Post pics when the lights are up!!

We are holding off doing lights and stuff until we're in a place we plan to stay long term... In positive house news, we have a house viewing on Saturday (meaning we'll be cleaning tonight/tomorrow morning for them to probably cancel lol) so another viewing is another step closer to being able to move...though I'm not getting my hopes up anymore lol
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 585
« Reply #6336 on: November 30, 2018, 01:55:06 PM »
Albatross, I call BS on the pilot thing.  Maybe he has a recreational light aircraft license but nothing more than that I suspect.

Haha, oh please... I call BS on ALL of it, apart from maybe the 'extra' thing, as I know quite a few folk who do that.
Oh, and he never turned up for work today, so that's him either on a shoogly peg, or out the door, depending on the reason.  My boss has very low tolerance with temps!  We'll see if he's back on Monday....

• Liked: 114
« Reply #6337 on: November 30, 2018, 05:46:43 PM »
TGI-freakin'-F.

1.  As I type this, Dave and I are headed out to see Patent Pending (for the second time this week ) and Bowling for Soup.  Will be good to see my boys again.  We saw Patent Pending on Sunday and it was a brilliant show, so honestly looking forward to seeing them again tonight!

2.  I am not an inherently violent person, but I've spent most of yesterday and today wanting to punch my supervisor in the face.  It's tiring.  And this all stems from anger at the fact that she had the balls to tell me I "need to be more proactive" in my management of people, but couldn't tell me what to do in order to facilitate that when I asked for further feedback.  I was managing a team of people at the ripe old age of 21, and this is her first supervisory role, AND IT SHOWS.  Sorrynotsorry.

3.  My driving theory test is tomorrow.  I've set the bar low and resigned myself to the fact that I'm probably going to fail.  Not because I haven't been able to retain the information, but just because I haven't spent the time practicing that I should have - something I heard constantly as a child/teen.  "You'd do so great if you only applied yourself..."  But who knows?  Maybe I'll get lucky and pass.  I'm fairly confident on the theory but I haven't quite worked out the hazard perception "sweet spot" so my results are fairly inconsistent.

4.  We picked Bird up yesterday!  She is so pretty and red and sparkly and has that new car smell.  Her reg is finally up on the database today so we can get insurance and I can go out and practice tomorrow!  Gonna crack open my Prosecco from the dealership tomorrow as it's been such a long week.

5.  Hoping my secret santa gift gets here soon so I can wrap it all up and send it off.  Time is ticking!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 239
« Reply #6338 on: November 30, 2018, 05:48:49 PM »
@heyjay good luck on your theory! Mine's the 18th. And I feel the same way
UK Spouse Visa (Priority)
Approved: 1 May 2018

FLR(M) Standard
Approved: 16 June 2021

ILR (SET M) Super Priority
Approved: 29 August 2023

• Liked: 114
« Reply #6339 on: November 30, 2018, 05:51:24 PM »
@heyjay good luck on your theory! Mine's the 18th. And I feel the same way
Thanks!  I'm gonna need it.

At least you still have time to correct things!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #6340 on: November 30, 2018, 05:55:37 PM »
Haha, oh please... I call BS on ALL of it, apart from maybe the 'extra' thing, as I know quite a few folk who do that.

I think everyone in Glasgow was an extra in World War Z...  ;D

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #6341 on: November 30, 2018, 05:57:01 PM »
Bonus: Wrens are adorable little tiny birds, aren't they?

Yesss! Did your wren come back?  :D

• Liked: 239
« Reply #6342 on: November 30, 2018, 05:57:42 PM »
Thanks!  I'm gonna need it.

At least you still have time to correct things!

You'll have to update on how it goes  :D
UK Spouse Visa (Priority)
Approved: 1 May 2018

FLR(M) Standard
Approved: 16 June 2021

ILR (SET M) Super Priority
Approved: 29 August 2023

• Liked: 676
« Reply #6343 on: November 30, 2018, 07:50:28 PM »

Nan, I might need an update after the daughter's guests have gone... let us know how it goes! :)

3.  My sister spent $70 on postage to send me a souvenir from Afghanistan.  It's a replica of what's called "t-wall"... great big cast concrete wall segments that are craned into place to form a thick wall around the base.  I don't know how big the real ones are, but the lump of concrete that she posted to me is about a foot tall, I think, and much thicker than I expected.

Bonus: Wrens are adorable little tiny birds, aren't they?

They are great birds!

CONGRATULATIONS on your citizenship! Woo!

What an interesting souvineer.  8)  Where exactly are you going to keep it?

#5 - awwwwwww! ;D

The Daughter's dinner. The tree is up but we need more lights, so we didn't put the ornaments on it yet. She went out and bought candles to decorate the table and got out her "company" coffee set that's been packed away.

She was doing the turkey and the basics, and they were to each bring a dish to share. Twelve (might have been 14) were invited and said they were coming. By 2pm today she'd had cancellations from four by text message. By 4pm a few more dropped out, same way. So, it's now after 7:00pm. The dinner was set for 6:30pm. The Daughter is sitting out in the living room with one, count 'em one, guest. Apparently two more are coming soon, but are delayed by other obligations. We haven't heard from the others.

You know, that hits me as just plain rude.

Whatever. We have a turkey and food for 12 out there, as I added a few things (potatoes and corn) to the menu when the number of "incoming" dishes began to diminish. Menu:

Roasted Heritage Bronze turkey with apple, sage, and onion stuffing
Garlic smashed King Edward red skinned potatoes
Black Pepper gravy
Warmed pickled beets
Sweet corn in butter sauce
Black Olives
Vlassic Kosher Dill Pickles
Homemade Cornbread
Yankee Cornbread (Jiffy)
Homemade Shortnin' Bread
The guest brought sweet potatoes with marshmallows. :)

Homemade pumpkin pie in a butter crust with spiced whipped cream
Homemade cinnamon applesauce, warmed

Elderflower Presse
Hazlenut chocolate coffee
Mint Magic (Celestial Seasonings) tea
Various other Twinnings teas

The homemade cranberry sauce didn't get made because when the Daughter went to get gingerbeer to make it with, all she could find was brands that had either aspertame or sucralose in them. We'll try again and just can it in the canner for future use. We might string a package of the cranberries to hang on the tree, too.

On the good side, she is able to use our dishes and cutlery, and not have to serve her guest(s) on paper plates. And also, I now don't have to cook for several days. [I've got a recipe for potato bombs (you make a crust from leftover mashed potatoes, and stuff it with bacon, green onion, and cheese, then deep fry them until they are golden brown) that I've been wanting to try.] And there will be a rediculous amount of turkey soup canned.

But really!    >:(   

« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 12:42:06 AM by Nan D. »

« Reply #6344 on: November 30, 2018, 07:53:00 PM »
I’m so sorry Nan.  I would love to pretend like this isn’t common but sadly it is.   :-\\\\. I thoughts Scots were better about not flaking though. 

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab