Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Friday Five!  (Read 410711 times)

• Liked: 1260
Re: Friday Five!
« Reply #6945 on: May 05, 2019, 12:48:56 PM »
5. I’m getting excited for the new Veronica Mars revival miniseries which is released on Hulu in late July :). Oh, as season 4 of Lucifer is released in Netflix on the day I arrive home :).

I saw a trailer for it and and it does look pretty good!

Have a safe flight back ksand (sounds like it can't be soon enough with the toilet situation! lol) and congrats on the progress with your challenge!

My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #6946 on: May 05, 2019, 12:57:22 PM »

3) I ordered a "thing" on Etsy, against my better judgement. It is a 1960s folding office kind of piece of furniture. It folds up into a big box. (See photos.)  The description was that it was in good shape, some marks. The guy could arrange delivery. So, I bought it - kind of a gamble. We heard nothing for a few weeks, then Thursday evening after 6pm we got a call that the guy who was going to deliver it -- at 7:00am the next morning! He'd driven it up from England.  :o  Wow, nice notice there!  Fortunately I was going to be up and home anyway. The driver was to call before he started out from the town up here in Scotland that he was over-nighting in. I got us both up at 6:00 so we'd be functional if he showed up at 7:00. Eight o'clock came and went, and then at about 8:30 the door buzzer rang. The guy was outside. No warning phone call. And blocking the lane that several of our neighbors needed to use to get their cars out to get their kids to school. Words were exchanged between him and one of the neighbors, and apparently the English bloke threatened him, etc., etc., etc.  The Daughter was out there apologizing left and right, but really couldn't do much about any of it.  So anyway, the desk/office/box was brought up to our flat, with the Daughter's help because the delivery guy was older than dirt, alone, and it was heavy.  He was paid his delivery fee and sent back to England. The Daughter was upset about it all day.

At first I thought I'd gotten skunked, as I'd paid the vendor in advance, but after moving it to a couple of places in the house and settling on a spot int he hallway I have decided that it's growing on me.  It has little splatters of white paint on the back, and is otherwise not nearly as nice in person as it was shown to be online. (duh.) It was definitely overpriced for the condition it's in.  If I later don't like it I can donate it to charity and just take it off my taxes as a lesson learned about buying things on the internet, but I'm going to try tidying it up first. It does fold down very compactly, and can be locked. So I'll be moving a lot of my computer stuff and correspondence papers (I still write letters with fountain pen and ink, and the Daughter belongs to a letter-writer's guild as well) into it. When we want to use it we can just unlock it and open it up. I need to re-wire the lamp, but that's no big deal - done that lots of times.  What I do need to do, though, is wax it or oil it or something. I don't think oil, as it's teak veneer. Went to Sainsburys and there were only a few options, one of which was Pledge, which I'd been told several years ago wasn't actually good to use on wood.  Can anyone recommend a good brand of furniture wax?  Also, where to get wood putty to try to disguise the few little chips in the veneer on the bottom of the front doors?

Were there no pictures of it on the advert? It looks really cool (even if it's not in the best condition) Really handy that it folds up into a box like that. I wouldn't consider it a lesson to not buy online but definitely ask for closer up photos next time as I imagine paint  splatter and stuff should show up on a close-up photo. Don't be afraid to ask for more photos. If they are hesitant or give you an attitude, that's a good sign to stay away from them. Did they have any reviews on their page for bigger furniture items like this? As that'll be another  thing to look out for (I always make sure to check the worst comments to see what types of complaints they are  - I do take it with a pinch of salt though)
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #6947 on: May 05, 2019, 02:11:47 PM »
I saw a trailer for it and and it does look pretty good!

Yeah, I’m looking forward to it :). I got into the show back in 2016, so it’s great that they’ve made a mini-series now :).

Have a safe flight back ksand (sounds like it can't be soon enough with the toilet situation! lol) and congrats on the progress with your challenge!

I officially finished the challenge this morning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #6948 on: May 05, 2019, 02:45:52 PM »

I officially finished the challenge this morning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well done!

• Liked: 676
« Reply #6949 on: May 05, 2019, 04:53:23 PM »
Were there no pictures of it on the advert? It looks really cool (even if it's not in the best condition) Really handy that it folds up into a box like that. I wouldn't consider it a lesson to not buy online but definitely ask for closer up photos next time as I imagine paint  splatter and stuff should show up on a close-up photo. Don't be afraid to ask for more photos. If they are hesitant or give you an attitude, that's a good sign to stay away from them. Did they have any reviews on their page for bigger furniture items like this? As that'll be another  thing to look out for (I always make sure to check the worst comments to see what types of complaints they are  - I do take it with a pinch of salt though)

Yeah, but like I said, it didn't look as good "in person" as it did online. There were no photos of the back of the item at all - I should have asked for some. It's sitting up against a wall now so that side doesn't show. There are quite a lot of splatters, and they're not tiny, so it's not as if they wouldn't have shown up in a photo. There was just no photo.  ::)   If I'm careful I might be able to get them off, but it's not urgent right now. There were a few reviews, all good. But I'd have no way to know if they were real or faked. Communication with the guy was very spotty throughout, which didn't help me feel very comfortable. And the delivery was a fiasco. But it got here - thankfully, we had decided to postpone going out of town until next week! I had at the last minute put off booking our bus tickets to check on something else, and right after that is when the guy phoned to let us know he was coming the very next morning!  ::)

In looking at other people selling the same model, in slightly better condition, I did get a very good buy on it. It's going for like £345 on another site, and I got it for waaaaaayyyy less than that.  ;D  It is kind of a cool thing, really.  It is a "Newcraft Home Office", and English (according to the tag in it).

It's now out in the hallway right near the router. So I can put my laptop in there and it'll get a good signal, unlike in the rest of the house and when the Daughter needs to be online while I'm online she can be using it there. (I might see if I can get an Ethernet cord into it, too.)  And it does have a large pull-out drawer under the desktop (which is red leather with gold scroll-work around the edges) that also locks. So it'd be a real safe place to keep cash in the house, I'd guess. And passports. As long as we don't lose the skeleton key to the whole thing!  ;D  The lamp is toast, so I'm going to re-wire it to have a multiple outlet plug inside the unit, so a lamp can be on the same time the laptop is plugged in. There's already a hole in the back where the factory ran the cable in for the broken lamp, so that's really easy to do. Assuming I can get the parts.  (Some days I really miss Radio Shack.)

Still hoping someone can recommend a furniture polish for it. I'd read years ago that Pledge was actually not good for old wood, and this is veneer so I can't oil it too much.  I'm completely unfamiliar with the brands over here, but I'm thinking a good buffing with a good quality wax would make that  look a lot better. Same with something to conserve the leather desktop. Murphy Oil Soap maybe? (If it's available here.)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 04:56:11 PM by Nan D. »

« Reply #6950 on: May 05, 2019, 05:26:00 PM »
Yeah, but like I said, it didn't look as good "in person" as it did online. There were no photos of the back of the item at all - I should have asked for some. It's sitting up against a wall now so that side doesn't show. There are quite a lot of splatters, and they're not tiny, so it's not as if they wouldn't have shown up in a photo. There was just no photo.  ::)   If I'm careful I might be able to get them off, but it's not urgent right now. There were a few reviews, all good. But I'd have no way to know if they were real or faked. Communication with the guy was very spotty throughout, which didn't help me feel very comfortable. And the delivery was a fiasco. But it got here - thankfully, we had decided to postpone going out of town until next week! I had at the last minute put off booking our bus tickets to check on something else, and right after that is when the guy phoned to let us know he was coming the very next morning!  ::)

Have you thought about raising a complaint with them to say that they never listed the splatters on the listing and you didn't know until it was physically there with you? Perhaps nothing will come of it but perhaps they will issue you at least a partial refund as a good will gesture? Don't ask, don't get and all that :)

Yeah, would strongly suggest next time not avoiding shopping online but definitely ask for more photos as it seems like they clearly tried to hide that by not posting the photos from that particular angle. Definitely good thing that you were in when he rang (that is cheeky that they told you the last minute when it'd be there).

Instead of just polishing it, have you thought about sanding it and refinishing it yourself? Would definitely get rid of the markings as much as possible. Can't help with the polish as I don't have much that requires it (we've held off on buying anything nice until we know we're in a home we won't be moving from again for a long, long time) and the stuff we do have I tend to just use whatever looks okay at Sainsbury's in the cleaning aisle as I've not really needed to investigate for a piece of furniture I've loved enough.
My, how time flies....

« Reply #6951 on: May 05, 2019, 06:06:13 PM »
Have you thought about raising a complaint with them to say that they never listed the splatters on the listing and you didn't know until it was physically there with you? Perhaps nothing will come of it but perhaps they will issue you at least a partial refund as a good will gesture? Don't ask, don't get and all that :)

Yeah, would strongly suggest next time not avoiding shopping online but definitely ask for more photos as it seems like they clearly tried to hide that by not posting the photos from that particular angle. Definitely good thing that you were in when he rang (that is cheeky that they told you the last minute when it'd be there).

Instead of just polishing it, have you thought about sanding it and refinishing it yourself? Would definitely get rid of the markings as much as possible. Can't help with the polish as I don't have much that requires it (we've held off on buying anything nice until we know we're in a home we won't be moving from again for a long, long time) and the stuff we do have I tend to just use whatever looks okay at Sainsbury's in the cleaning aisle as I've not really needed to investigate for a piece of furniture I've loved enough.

He actually hasn't answered the Daughter's emails.  :(    She's sent a couple. Haven't heard diddly from him since we were told the item would be delivered "in a couple of weeks" and then the old gent showed up (who wasn't the vendor). I'm good with just letting it go - I don't need the added stress and the Daughter would get really obsessive about it if I mentioned it. (She handled the transaction for me.)

It's just veneer - I don't think sanding it would be a very good idea, although I might do that to the back if it's the only way to get the paint off it.  I went out a bit ago and bought a can of "Lord Sheratons Furniture Caretaker Polish" as it was the only one that didn't seem to have things that were bad for aquatic life in it. Will test it out on a small spot (probably the back!) and see how it goes. ;D

« Reply #6952 on: May 05, 2019, 06:14:04 PM »
Would definitely be leaving feedback that just said "item wasn't as described and have had difficulty getting in contact with the seller" or something along those lines as that might pressure the seller to respond AND potentially save somebody else from the headache of dealing with this person. At least you got a bargain though :D

My, how time flies....

« Reply #6953 on: May 05, 2019, 07:14:24 PM »
Yeah, the Daughter was going to handle that. She's not one to suffer quietly. ;D

Just tried the spray wax. Boy, does it help! Not sure how long that's going to last, but it definitely improves the look. Hopefully it'll preserve the finish longterm. Smells kinda strong, but I've got the windows in the bathrooms at each end of the flat open and a good breeze going through, so it should air out well enough soon.  ;D

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #6954 on: May 07, 2019, 06:18:18 PM »
2.) I've been revising for a professional exam I am taking next week. And I shall be spending my weekend doing so.  Uggh.  [smiley=book.gif]

I passed!!  Whee! That sucked so much.  5 hour exam, full of all kinds of engineering stuff. The pass rate is usually 65% and goodness knows how many of them are actually second, third time takers.  But I passed.  Relief. 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 768
« Reply #6955 on: May 07, 2019, 06:21:52 PM »
I passed!!  Whee! That sucked so much.  5 hour exam, full of all kinds of engineering stuff. The pass rate is usually 65% and goodness knows how many of them are actually second, third time takers.  But I passed.  Relief.
Awesome!! Congratulations!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #6956 on: May 07, 2019, 06:41:35 PM »
Thank you!
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #6957 on: May 07, 2019, 06:52:12 PM »

Congratulations PB!!!  Now you can relax! :D

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #6958 on: May 07, 2019, 06:54:29 PM »
Thanks. I went straight to the pub. HAHA  ;D
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #6959 on: May 07, 2019, 08:01:52 PM »
Thanks. I went straight to the pub. HAHA  ;D

Boom!  Well done!  So proud of you!

Sponsored Links