Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Friday Five!  (Read 410563 times)

• Liked: 1327
Re: Friday Five!
« Reply #6975 on: May 17, 2019, 09:26:50 AM »
Happy Friday, everybody!

I'm first, so I'll just jump right in:

1.  My husband works a regular 4-1/2 day week next week.  We don't know how we'll cope.

2.  Last weekend was a 4-day weekend of awesome weather, and we accomplished nothing but mowing the lawn... and that was mostly so we could picnic on it (cheese platter with port in the garden is eminently better than cheese platter with port in the lounge!).

3.  This weekend's forecast doesn't look as nice, so we'll probably get the dust extraction system's cabinet built instead.  Ho hum.

4.  I'm supposed to be in the shower right now so that at 10am I can be checking to see if my neighbor is in because we haven't seen her in months and it's good to keep up friendly connections.  Then I'm going to Aldi to see if I can liberate some more egg custard tarts.  They're our new obsession and it's getting to be pretty obnoxious.  But egg custard tarts, yo!

5.  My budget spreadsheet and Lloyds were in disagreement over £1.24, and this had me distressed for about 24 hours... then I realized it's the difference between an expenditure I forgot to put in (to Paypal for I-don't-remember-what) and an installment on my guitar (zero-interest, establishing UK credit) that hasn't come out yet.  I kept looking for a transaction of the exact amount of the discrepancy, when it was actually the difference of two transactions.  But I found it, and all is right with the world.  My spreadsheet and Lloyds are in agreement again.  Yay!
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #6976 on: May 17, 2019, 10:26:36 AM »
We've been missing you JF! 

1.  Hoping that Plague 2019 is over in our house.  It took everyone out in some form or another.  Also took out our friend's house who is girl's BFF and boy's classmate at nursery.  We don't know where it originated but it was awful!

2.  BUSY weekend to try to make up for last weekend's lost weekend.  Haircut has been rescheduled for tomorrow.  To try to perk the girl up after being wiped out for the best part of a week, I'm planning to take her to see the Paw Patrol movie in the cinema (send booze!).  Also need to get lots of errands run. 

3.  Sunday is booked out at the last minute as the cousin from Australia got a cheap flight home - she lands today so we'll be in Bicester all day Sunday.  Can't wait!

4.  Monday night we have a date night to see Burn the Floor with a Meet & Greet with Kevin Clifton (Strictly guy).  One of my Christmas gifts from my husband.

5.  The skip is STILL IN THE DRIVEWAY.  Was supposed to be collected two weeks ago.  To say we want it gone is an understatement.

Bonus - I'm down a stone!  Just over 4 weeks until family photos and hoping to lose another stone by then if I stay being really good.  Date night = sparkling water!   ;D

• Liked: 114
« Reply #6977 on: May 17, 2019, 10:30:41 AM »
Happy Friday, all!

It's always nice when a spreadsheet discrepancy is found, JFK.  Such a good feeling!

1. I am on my way to this week's second interview.  Getting closer to knowing Andover bus routes like the back of my hand.

2. Have another interview for a different company next week.  The recruiter bagged that for me in a day - must be a new record!

3. Wednesday's interview went pretty well, and this company would be my first choice, every time, hands down.  The interviewers are concerned about my getting to work, though, which is a valid concern and may well be the nail in my coffin.  Trying to remain hopeful, however.

4. Had a lovely chat with yet another recruiter yesterday - the first video chat I've had with one so far!  She is from Sydney, and we reminisced about the sun.  Hoping I find a job soon because really I just want to be her friend. I imagine there would be some kind of conflict of interest otherwise.

5. Can't really think of a #5 today, so happy Friday!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 676
« Reply #6978 on: May 17, 2019, 08:16:20 PM »
Friday.

1) I'm tired. We took a one-day tour yesterday and saw some lovely gardens. Unfortunately, hay-fever being what it is...  ::) Had fun, though.

2) The fishies are all still alive. The five gallon tank has "crashed" and I'm having hell keeping the ammonia levels down. Have been doing big water changes every day, have put the "safe" chems in, and  it's still high. I think I need to do another water change tonight. The big tank is doing ok, and is on-course as expected. Not ready to move more fish into yet, but it's gurgling away.

3) Still nothing from the immigration lawyer, but I'm too tired to deal with it today. Will phone them Monday.

4) The oven repair guy (for the dead oven from before Easter?) came on Wednesday and "fixed" it. Daughter used it on Thursday and it promptly burned the beejezus out of a cake - she had it set for 180c and it went up past 210c.... nastygram to the landlord, and a new oven is due to be delivered on Monday.

5)  Apparently Washington State is going to institute a one-payer healthcare system. Will have to keep an eye on that. We do not want to have to leave, but if the Daughter doesn't get funding for a PhD here and can't work due to her status for three more years, there's no reason for her to stay here - especially when after Brexit she would not have the same opportunities to work in the EU as pre-Brexit and post-doctorate. It might be time to look at the EU for other opportunities for her.  Going "home" is, as always, the last resort. But we're doing the preliminary research on it, just in case.

That would make me very sad, really. But then again, there are days when being in the state of not knowing precisely all the ins-and-outs and always having to do extra research just because we haven't lived here all our lives and, so, don't know how "things work"... sometimes I think I'd just like to be able to know what to expect, instead of everything being a crapshoot every single day. Ah, well. Life would be boring then, wouldn't it?  ;)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 08:19:40 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 585
« Reply #6979 on: May 24, 2019, 08:20:33 AM »
Quite a lot has been happening in my world...

1.  For a hundred different reasons, I have moved out of my partner's flat and into one of my own.  Most people freak when i say this, but we are still together, still love each other, still want to be a couple... we just don't want to live together.  We're going to make it work!

2.  My new flat is in the same block as former UKY poster 'Brenzie'... remember her?  :)  I've met her and she's really nice, as is her hubby, who very kindly put up a curtain pole for me.  Nice neighbours!

3.  Part of the reason for my move is that i desperately wanted a dog, and my partner didn't want the commitment.  So now that I'm settled in, I contacted the greyhound rescue i volunteer for, and they're arranging a home check, possibly for next week.  If I pass that, and there's no reason why i shouldn't... next step is a hound of my own to love and look after!  [smiley=smitten.gif]

4.  New flat is only a mile from my work, near a park and a canal towpath for walkies.  Also recently discovered this place, which is only a couple of miles away!! https://runfreedogfields.co.uk/locations/

5.  **ICICLE WORKS TONIGHT!!!**  Bought the tickets 14 months ago, and the day is finally here to see my **THROB** live onstage, in the flesh, once again.  YAAAYYYY... so excited!

« Reply #6980 on: May 24, 2019, 08:37:14 AM »
It's Friday again!

Albatross!  I am not sure how to say my words of encouragement,  but I hope you and your partner have found a way to enjoy each other's company on your own terms.  Good luck on the home check!

My five:

1.  Bank holiday weekend!  My husband has today off, works a half-day tomorrow, but otherwise has a slightly-interrupted four-day weekend.

2.  Already today we've read the news and moaned about the state of "news" reporting and young people these days.  Then we giggled about how we're old people, and I congratulated myself on making it to this stage of life, against all odds.  Now we're going to have coffee and contemplate potatoes, eggs, and toast.

3.  On Tuesday, we were looking at flooring options online and my husband tried to search eBay for Brazilian slate tiles to compare bargain eBay prices to a retailer's offer price.  He only entered the first word before accidentally starting the search.  He hastily let me know that this was not his intended search, and I couldn't stop laughing at his reaction to the unexpected result.

4.  I have half of his birthday present in hand (well, in a box between my side of the bed and my nightstand), and the rest of it has been ordered from America.  It needs to be here by the 9th of June.  Fingers crossed!

5.  I voted as a European/UK citizen!  And then I learned we don't get to hear anything at all until all of the other EU countries' polls have closed Sunday night.  I wanted to watch the returns... :(   But, still, I voted in a non-US election!

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #6981 on: May 24, 2019, 09:01:55 AM »
Albatross - I think it's great that you guys are doing what works best for you both so that you don't have to compromise your wants/needs while also not going your separate ways :) Congrats on the new place! (and obviously you'll need to post dog pics when the time comes hah)

JF - Congrats on your first vote! WOO! :D

My Friday 5:

1. Going to Wales for the weekend and staying with my SIL. Really excited because one of the breweries I really like is based nearby to her so we're going to be going to that for sure AND we've just managed to book in "brunch" (if you can call 4:30PM brunch LOL) at a place called Dirty Martini. You get bottomless prosecco and/or beer and "all you can drink" martinis (they only give you 1 martini at a time but there's no limit).

2. Dad's back spots turned out just to be old arthritis blood sacks and not any spinal cancer! Obviously we aren't "happy" about the liver spots still but I am SO relieved that it's not spinal and it doesn't appear to be anywhere else at the moment. He had a biopsy yesterday and we are pretty positive it's definitely cancer (so surgery will be needed) but we won't know anymore until next week.

3. Amsterdam was amazing. The food was amazing. The museums were amazing. THE BOAT RIDES WERE AMAZING. We found out our flight back was accidentally booked for June 19th on the day we were leaving so we had to pay to change it to the correct date and I'm now questioning why I bothered...I should've just stayed there on permanent holiday lol.

4. Got tickets for the "pre-event" before the baseball game in London called London Yards. It's being held at the Old Truman Brewery on Brick Lane and it sounds like it's going to be similar to if you were walking around the streets outside Fenway. Street food, activities, music, beer.... Was free so I had to register for them first thing but thankfully managed to get them for us.

5. Not leaving for Wales until tomorrow morning so I still get Pizza Friday :)
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #6982 on: May 24, 2019, 09:10:27 AM »
JF - Congrats on your first vote! WOO! :D

5. Not leaving for Wales until tomorrow morning so I still get Pizza Friday :)

Thanks, KoD!  And yay for pizza Friday!  I made up some pizza dough for this weekend yesterday.  It's just chillin' in the 'fridge in hopes that tomorrow afternoon is the nice day that was forecasted.  Have fun with your SIL!  I want to know how much the AYCD martini costs.  And is it different styles, or the same kind all evening?  Glad your dad's spinal spots are not bad.  Hopefully the liver one will be benign and/or easily contained.

• Liked: 676
« Reply #6983 on: May 24, 2019, 09:24:20 AM »
Friday again?   :)

1) We canned six pints of the Daughter's special caramelized leek dal yesterday to see how it would take to canning. One jar did not seal, so we tried it. Delicious, with a texture very much like Tex-Mex refried beans. It will serve that purpose, I think, in a lot of our cooking in the future, although it's nice just on its own. So nice to have my canner here - we can take advantage of sales on chicken (which I did earlier in the week - replenished the stock of plain chicken that we use to make a quick curry - and other items). Also nice when we are really too tired to go to a lot of trouble to make something complicated, like the dal. Can now just open a jar and heat it up.  ;D

2) Starting a new walking group today. We'll see how that goes. I was having to come home and immediately take a nap after doing the walks with the last one, so I've opted for the "less strenuous" group that goes today. (I hadn't realized we were doing five miles.)

3) Still waiting to hear from the Uni on the Daughter's petition to determine residency for next year. She has found a funded program to apply for that would start this year, so she's applying for it. The stipend would pay the international fees, so it's doable. The competition will be fierce, so there's no sense that she'll actually get it, but at least she's eligible to apply for it. She is due to attend a conference next month that has several senior people who work in allied fields attending and should have the chance to socialize a bit. She will be letting it known she's looking for a place to study and one of her supervisors from the Uni here will be introducing her around.

4) The Daughter seems to be feeling better. She is sending off her driving license paperwork to get her provisional license, and since I paid for the online training for a year she can start the theory and hazard training now. So she's doing "stuff" again instead of moping. Can't say as I blame her for feeling down - she was trapped. Says she is very much looking forward to when she can quit her job. (She really hates it.) I've told her she can quit at any time, she doesn't need to be working for the money, but she needs that degree of independence and says nobody else will hire her. Once Brexit goes through (assuming it does) we're under UK rules and not EU rules anymore. EU rules say she can work just the same as a local. Brexit rules would force her out of the country if she does. So... still waiting to hear, as is everyone, what's happening with Brexit. We are assuming it will be a "hard" one, it's just a matter of when.

5) Was looking at houses in New England. It is always a shock when I realize we could afford to live there. It was so horrifically expensive to live in SoCal that even with the $500 a month property taxes in NE, we could still have a nice little house in the country with a yard for a garden, etc.  Unfortunately, medical care (or the lack/expense of) and the current political climate in the USA mean it really would be a last resort, to move back there.  We're starting French classes next month. If for no other reason than we'd like to be able to visit and not have to be quite as much the unintelligible tourists are we are now. And it's on the list of places we'd go if we have to leave here. Have the urge to travel. Wanted to go to Amsterdam, but see in the news that they don't really want more tourists as they have too many. Maybe Bruges  at Christmas, instead. Anyway, I've got the wanderlust bad now that the weather is nicer.  8)  Maybe I'll go exploring, on the Megabus.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 09:57:21 AM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #6984 on: May 24, 2019, 09:49:33 AM »
Quite a lot has been happening in my world...

1.  For a hundred different reasons, I have moved out of my partner's flat and into one of my own.  Most people freak when i say this, but we are still together, still love each other, still want to be a couple... we just don't want to live together.  We're going to make it work!

2.  My new flat is in the same block as former UKY poster 'Brenzie'... remember her?  :)  I've met her and she's really nice, as is her hubby, who very kindly put up a curtain pole for me.  Nice neighbours!

3.  Part of the reason for my move is that i desperately wanted a dog, and my partner didn't want the commitment.  So now that I'm settled in, I contacted the greyhound rescue i volunteer for, and they're arranging a home check, possibly for next week.  If I pass that, and there's no reason why i shouldn't... next step is a hound of my own to love and look after!  [smiley=smitten.gif]

4.  New flat is only a mile from my work, near a park and a canal towpath for walkies.  Also recently discovered this place, which is only a couple of miles away!! https://runfreedogfields.co.uk/locations/

5.  **ICICLE WORKS TONIGHT!!!**  Bought the tickets 14 months ago, and the day is finally here to see my **THROB** live onstage, in the flesh, once again.  YAAAYYYY... so excited!

Love this!!!  :D  I know how much you've missed having a dog!  [smiley=smitten.gif]

• Liked: 585
« Reply #6985 on: May 24, 2019, 10:03:03 AM »
Albatross - I think it's great that you guys are doing what works best for you both so that you don't have to compromise your wants/needs while also not going your separate ways :) Congrats on the new place! (and obviously you'll need to post dog pics when the time comes hah)

Thank you!
I think we've done the right thing, as if i'd stayed in Helensburgh any longer I know I would have grown resentful.
We're off on a date to the Icicle Works gig tonight, and he will spend his first night in my new flat.  Sunday we will do a bit of day-drinking together, just like we used to in the old days before I moved in with him.  Should be nice!

1. Going to Wales for the weekend and staying with my SIL. Really excited because one of the breweries I really like is based nearby to her so we're going to be going to that for sure

Please tell me it's Tiny Rebel!!!  [smiley=heart.gif]

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #6986 on: May 24, 2019, 10:15:37 AM »
A doggie for Albatross  [smiley=heart.gif]
Yay for voting JFKimberly!  [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
That's much better news than you had feared x0Kiss0fDeath. Hopefully there are some good ways to help your Dad. [smiley=clover2.gif]  (If you're going to Tiny Rebel Brewery ,I'm jealous!)
Nan, just one thought, re: New England- Massachusetts has MassHealth (health insurance for all), which has been such a blessing for so many folks I know.   ^-^

Friday!!

1.) More frickin rain all weekend. Garden is loving it, but I have got much more to do in said garden!  [smiley=daisy.gif]

2.) Brass band had a concert last night which went really well.   [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

3.) House needs a good cleaning this weekend. Uggh.  :-X

4.) Looking to get some new chooks to keep my last one company. She's doing well, thank goodness.   [smiley=smitten.gif]

5.) I haven't made beer in a while. I think I need to rectify that.   [smiley=devilish.gif]
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #6987 on: May 24, 2019, 11:00:17 AM »
My Friday Five this week:

1. Finally made it back from Italy on Wednesday evening, after being delayed 24 hours when my flight was cancelled due to Italian airport strikes on Tuesday. It wasn't all bad though, as I got an extra day in Rome with a couple of my friends who were also delayed, and a free night in the Hilton :).

2. Geek hat on now: the reason I was in Rome is because I was attending 2 TV/film conventions, which are run back-to-back by the same company (Wed to Sun, with a concert in the city Monday night). The first con has guests from multiple shows/films and the second is a Supernatural convention. One of the guests at the first one was Sebastian Stan, who I think was totally out of his comfort zone as he had to take the stage by himself for panels, when he's only ever been on stage for interviews/panels with all of his cast-mates before!

3. Unfortunately, my trip was slightly marred by family drama... my brother is getting married in a few months, and he and his fiancee want a 'non-traditional' wedding, which apparently means they would rather hang out with their friends instead of including their families in the event... so basically my parents and I are being shoved aside for the sake of their friends. They're putting my parents on a separate table to them, along with one godparent, and putting me on a table with cousins I barely know (and an aunt I don't get on with)... oh and they've given away the hotel rooms they booked for us in the wedding B&B to their friends as well, so we've had to book into a Premier Inn a few miles away! Needless to say we are not happy about it at all :(.

4. To make matters worse, my brother and his fiancee are coming to stay this weekend (I'm still at my parents' before going back to work next week), and we're going out for a meal on Sunday for my birthday (which isn't until next week)... so who knows how that will go!

5. Looking to something more positive though, it's now only 3 weeks until I fly to LA... Disneyland, here I come :).

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #6988 on: May 24, 2019, 11:16:14 AM »
Thanks, KoD!  And yay for pizza Friday!  I made up some pizza dough for this weekend yesterday.  It's just chillin' in the 'fridge in hopes that tomorrow afternoon is the nice day that was forecasted.  Have fun with your SIL!  I want to know how much the AYCD martini costs.  And is it different styles, or the same kind all evening?  Glad your dad's spinal spots are not bad.  Hopefully the liver one will be benign and/or easily contained.

It's £30 per person but, in fairness, I can drink a LOT of prosecco....I've been training for this my last 5+ years in the UK haha  You get food as well. My SIL went before and said it's not a massive amount of food but it's good enough to be a good accompanying snack (so we just need to have a good sized breakfast or lunch) and it should be fine. She said she took the niece last time and they got absolutely smashed. I have high hopes. Apologies in advance for any buzzed messages you may receive (mostly joking). They are all different kinds. Look up "Dirty Martini" in Cardiff and you should be able to see the menus. Think the "bottomless" ones are a set martini menu but there are definitely options. Will be worth it to try it out I think. I'm actually quite excited!

Nan - RE affordability in New England - it is definitely cheaper than CA, but just remember to take into consideration cost of living. Obviously it depends on where in New England you are, but I think sometimes one cost can seem so dramatically different and more affordable than the other coast....until you're there and the cost of living pretty much balances it out but it does have some other positives (but then, I'm biased LOL)

Thank you!
I think we've done the right thing, as if i'd stayed in Helensburgh any longer I know I would have grown resentful.
We're off on a date to the Icicle Works gig tonight, and he will spend his first night in my new flat.  Sunday we will do a bit of day-drinking together, just like we used to in the old days before I moved in with him.  Should be nice!

Honestly, that could be really positive as well as it means you can also both decorate things and have them the way YOU like them without needing to compromise. I can totally see all the positives here! Have fun on your date!! :D

Please tell me it's Tiny Rebel!!!  [smiley=heart.gif]

It ONE HUNDRED PERCENT is Tiny Rebel! hahahah :D I will probably leave with SO much beer to take back with us and we've already got almost a whole fridge full of beer....and a mini fridge...we need to start actually drinking them not just buying all the interesting beers when we see them! lol

Thanks PB. We are hoping that the "ways forward" will be relatively easy in comparison to what they could be. Also, he's strong mentally and physically so we're pretty optimistic! Yes, it is Tiny Rebel! haha My SIL live so close to it, she goes all the time and we're SO jealous every time she goes and sends us pics so she's taking us this time! Please make some delicious beer (and tell me how to do it) and send me some! I have always wanted to brew my own beer... I have friends back in the US that do it and are quite serious about it and they make some AMAZING flavours! I'm always jealous.

Ksand - YAY to LA! (and the weather/delicious food). BOOOO to the family drama :( Did you get to see much of Rome or was it mostly the con? Sorry you had delayed flights back but happy you got extra time on hols! :D
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #6989 on: May 24, 2019, 11:45:29 AM »
Ksand - YAY to LA! (and the weather/delicious food). BOOOO to the family drama :( Did you get to see much of Rome or was it mostly the con? Sorry you had delayed flights back but happy you got extra time on hols! :D

Thanks :). Yeah, we went into the city for dinner on Thursday and Sunday nights, then spend Monday and Tuesday in Rome as well (the con was held in the Hilton, so we checked out of there Monday morning to stay in the city that night, and then I had to check back in again on Tuesday night :P) :).

Sponsored Links