Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Friday Five!  (Read 410672 times)

• Liked: 1260
Re: Friday Five!
« Reply #7095 on: June 21, 2019, 09:22:04 PM »
So pleased to hear about Sobe!!

PB - agreed it looks cooler for sure Haha just didn't know if there was any different in taste

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 114
« Reply #7096 on: June 21, 2019, 11:25:54 PM »
Yay Sobe-kitty!

1.  Billy Joel tomorrow.  Woop woop! (Not KFD's date. )

2.  Received the results of my sleep study today in the form of a rather short letter from my consultant.  "Obstructive sleep apnoea of moderate severity" and CPAP it is, then!

3.  Getting along soooo well with my driving.  My confidence has shot up leaps and bounds since going with my new instructor.  She is just the coolest cucumber and has the patience of a saint!

4.  Ordered this gorgeous phone case a couple of weeks ago.  Have been waiting all this time for it to make its way from China and it turns out they sent a case for a different phone.  I was most disappointed.  Luckily getting a refund was a breeze, so I've tried again.  Fingers crossed!  (If anybody's in the market for a Galaxy S9 case, get in touch!)

5.  Met up with some friends this evening for drinks.  We've not seen them for a while, so it was good to catch up.

Bonus:  SGDQ starts on Sunday!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #7097 on: June 22, 2019, 08:47:56 AM »
Great news on your good driving instructor fit!  That does make a world of difference.

I hope you acclimate to CPAP quickly and easily and it fulfills the quality of life promises it makes.  Most people I've known to get it have ended up with so much more energy that they felt like a new person.

Have fun at Billy Joel!
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #7098 on: June 28, 2019, 09:39:20 AM »
FRIDAY!  FRIDAY!  FRIDAY!

1.  Sobe is doing so good now that the medicine has worked it's way out of his system.  He's back to purring non-stop and has his energy back.  I still think I'm going to get blood work done in the next week or two just for peace of mind.

2.  Our photographer hasn't gotten our final photos to us yet (I also haven't paid her yet).  She got our "gallery" out the same day as the photos but is stacked with it being wedding season.  I'm so eager to get them though!

3.  I finally slept last night.  I haven't been sleeping well AT ALL for a couple of weeks now.  But I went to bed before 11 and my husband took the kids this morning so I could sleep until 8:15 (an hour later than normal).  Seriously, I feel like a new woman.

4.  This weekend we are hiring a carpet cleaner.  We live a Rock and Roll lifestyle!  We are also going to go to our local "pick your own" farm and pick veggies.  We love doing that.

5.  I'm going to try to see if there is an outdoor cinema on this weekend and hopefully see something!  Yippee for good weather!!

• Liked: 104
« Reply #7099 on: June 28, 2019, 09:46:34 AM »
So much good news KF! Glad to hear he’s improved and sounds like a happy cat again :)

1. I’m about to pick up my parents from Edinburgh airport! They’ll be here for about 2 weeks and I’m so excited to see them. Last time they were in Scotland, it was November so I’m glad they’ll get to experience the summer this time around.

2. The weather yesterday was gorgeous - I sat outside at my MILs and we had dinner and a glass of wine. I’m loving all the sunshine!

3. I traveled down to Glasgow yesterday (had to transfer in Inverness and Perth) and it was the smoothest train journey of all time. So satisfying when travel works perfectly. Plus traveling through the Cairngorms under bright blue skies was incredible.

4. I moved over 6 months ago yesterday!! I know everyone says this but it really did fly by.

5. Today is my husband’s last day of work before the summer holidays! I’m very much looking forward to all the fun summer plans we have while he’s off work.
Spouse visa received: 30 November 2018
Arrived in the UK: 27 December 2018

FLR(M)
Application submitted: 4 August 2021 (super priority)
Biometrics: 15 August 2021
Decision: 16 August 2021 - approved!

ILR
Application submitted: 14 December 2023 (super priority)
Biometrics: 17 December 2023
Decision: 18 December 2023 - approved!

« Reply #7100 on: June 28, 2019, 11:08:41 AM »
You guys!  Your fives are both so happy and uplifting!  Except maybe KF's carpet cleaning... boring, but at least you're not doing the work yourself!  Have a fantastic time with your parents, Elee!

My Five:

1.  KF and KoD, this is for you:  I've been on a social media and news blackout this week, so no Facebook, no news sites, nothing.  UKYankee is a forum, so it was permitted, but most of my other tabs got closed last weekend.   As Simon and/or Garfunkel wrote/sang: "I get the news I need on the weather report."

2.  My husband's string of constant long weekends and weeks off is wrapping up.  We'll still have the occasional 3- and 4-day weekends about once or twice a month, but it won't be like it has been the past few months.  That means you guys will see more of me, so silver lining!

3.  Yesterday.  Well, Wednesday, too.  Two absolutely gorgeous days in a row.  We did workshopping and barbecuing on Wednesday, and more barbecuing yesterday when my husband came home from work, and it was glorious!  We keep talking about the outdoor kitchen we're going to build, and most of the time I think, "Why?"  But this week answered that question.  Even if it's only for a couple of days a year, it'll be worth it.

4.  Some days I get really impatient for our house to be done so we can just live in it and have guests and enjoy life.  Other days, I'm all, "Life is grand!  I know this isn't ideal, but it's good enough!" and I bask in the awesomeness that is House and Garden and Workshop.  When the sun is shining, it's a basking kind of day.  :)

5.  I have been assigned my semi-final opponent for the Mensa Mastermind tournament I entered at the start of the year.  If I win the next round, I play in the final at Birmingham in October.  That would be awkward, as it means my husband would have to go to Birmingham with me for this thing, and he will go kicking and screaming.  As my husband said rather hopefully at the start of all this, maybe I'll lose.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #7101 on: June 28, 2019, 11:20:04 AM »
Happy Friday!

Yay for good sleep KFDancer. 
elee27 ,enjoy your parents! Are you taking them back up to Moray or are you hanging around the central belt?  (You live near Elgin, right? Not too far from me). 
jfkimberly, I agree, all is better when the sun is shining!

1.) Brass band night out tonight.  Gonna be a blazer.   [smiley=mad.gif]

2.) I managed to move my appointment with my personal trainer from 9am tomorrow morning ,to  1pm tomorrow. Because of number 1.   :P

3.)  Sun!!  70F and sunny yesterday and life was grand. Despite being stuck inside at work.    [smiley=daisy.gif]

4.)  Unrealistic deadlines. I love it.   ::)

5.) Supposed to be quite rainy Sunday, but I need to clean the spare bedrooms, as my sister and husband come in a few weeks for a visit and we use them more as dumping grounds, rather than spare bedrooms.  The small bedroom, I've been using a musical room, but it's still a tip too.   [smiley=guitarist.gif]
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #7102 on: June 28, 2019, 12:01:02 PM »
Have a great time tonight, PB!  And visitors!  I'm still working on getting my sister and her husband over to visit.  Mind you, I haven't been working too hard at it because we can't really entertain here.  But I'd still like to see her, and have someone from my old life get a glimpse of my new life, such as it is.

• Liked: 104
« Reply #7103 on: June 28, 2019, 04:27:46 PM »
elee27 ,enjoy your parents! Are you taking them back up to Moray or are you hanging around the central belt?  (You live near Elgin, right? Not too far from me). 

Yep, near Elgin! We’re spending most of the trip in the central belt but are heading up to Moray mid to late next week for a few days, then over to an Airbnb near Loch Ness for a few days after that. My mom wants to see Nessie. ;D😂 We didn’t get to see any of the countryside the first time they visited so I’m looking forward to sharing that with them.
Spouse visa received: 30 November 2018
Arrived in the UK: 27 December 2018

FLR(M)
Application submitted: 4 August 2021 (super priority)
Biometrics: 15 August 2021
Decision: 16 August 2021 - approved!

ILR
Application submitted: 14 December 2023 (super priority)
Biometrics: 17 December 2023
Decision: 18 December 2023 - approved!

• Liked: 676
« Reply #7104 on: June 28, 2019, 05:06:53 PM »
Good weather for it!  You've got a breeze today and clear blue skies.  ;D
Yea about Sobe!!

Friday Five:

1) We got back late yesterday. Spent the first part of yesterday hiking in the woods. It was lovely, and much cooler under the trees. Had a late lunch at the little inn at Cairndow, then back to Glasgow. (Nice meal at the inn, btw.)  Had spent the night at Brambles in Inveraray - can highly recommend both the hotel and the restaurant of that name. Exceptionally good breakfast came with the room, as well.  (photo of the loch attached) The only downsides to the trip were that it was absolutely still most of the two days we were there, only the barest hint of a breeze at the top of the hills, and it got a bit warm in the sun. Also that the CityLink bus was 40 minutes late picking us up at Cairndow to come home - no real shade at the bus stop - and when we phoned them they were going to check to see where the bus was and phone us back. They never called back.   >:(   Anyway, we used the Boots DEET bug spray around our ankles, no crawlies. Thankfully, there were not a lot of midges. Daughter got one bite, and understands the "itch" factor thing now. We saw them landing on me, but they just kind of would walk around and then leave again. I guess I'm not tasty to midges? (Lucky Me!)

2) Got back home to find out I'd left the tea kettle on the burner, and the burner switched on. Thankfully no damage to the house, or the hob. And, probably, really not the kettle, other than superficial paint damage. But it's time to get one that turns itself off.  My days are so much like each other that mentally I'm slowing down and my memory isn't what it ought to be. So, time to adjust. Too bad, really. I really liked that kettle - bright red with a cheerful whistle. That I obviously no longer hear very well.

3) The Daughter got turned down for the latest funded PhD slot she wanted. It went to someone who had work experience. Which she cannot get here, as she cannot work professionally until 2022. Says she sees the writing on the wall now, and that it's time she really pursues her doctorate elsewhere. Her master's here was so watered down that it won't count as a master's in the States, so she'll probably have to start a master's program there and then transition into a PhD program. The plan is that I'll stay here and she'll travel to wherever it is. If it looks like she'll get through the degree and likes the place, and it's suitable, I will follow on at some point later on, if I like it there. If I don't like it, I'll be staying here. She won't be starting anything until fall 2020 at the earliest, and that assumes they give her a good aid package. If so, I will drop her off at the airport and head to the Job Center, and take anything I can get for a year while she's away. After a year I will cease employment and apply for full settled status (doable, when you retire), which she will then get as well. That will give her up to five years to finish her education abroad and still be able to come home (here) again to live and work, if she chooses. If she doesn't get accepted to a program for 2020, I'll do the same anyway - Job Center and any job they can send me to. Then she can work starting the following year. Assuming Brexit hasn't made things so miserable that we'd be better off back in the USA.

4) I have more jalepeno and other hot peppers ripening than I know what to do with. Will need to investigate how to preserve them, other than drying, as I don't really have any place to add more strings of drying peppers! I hadn't expected peppers to do so well here!  Must be the fish-tank water....

5) Found a home for six of the baby cory fish. Need to find a home for four more babies. Also need to buy a small algae-eater, as the algae is threatening to overtake the big tank. But at least all the corys are happy and doing well. Rambo has gotten big enough that he's readily visible and comes to the front of the tank when he sees us (to be fed).  ;D  And Big Bertha and the Boys seem to not feel the need to continue to spawn. (Thank Gawd.)

« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 05:22:03 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 585
« Reply #7105 on: July 05, 2019, 06:49:44 AM »
Friday Five? Don't mind if i do!
1. Today is going to feel like the longest day ever, because...
>drum roll<
2.  Tomorrow I am going to the Greyhound Trust kennel to collect my very own retired racing greyhound, that I have adopted!!!
3.  Some of you know how long I have been waiting for this day, and the amount of bollocks I've had to go through to get to this stage.
4.  His name is Jimmy, he is 5 years old, and he's a beautiful black laddie who slightly resembles a fruitbat round the eyes...LOL  ;D
5.  My life/lifestyle is going to be very different from tomorrow onward, and i couldn't be happier!

Hope you all have a fab day!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #7106 on: July 05, 2019, 07:02:49 AM »
>drum roll<
2.  Tomorrow I am going to the Greyhound Trust kennel to collect my very own retired racing greyhound, that I have adopted!!!
3.  Some of you know how long I have been waiting for this day, and the amount of bollocks I've had to go through to get to this stage.
4.  His name is Jimmy, he is 5 years old, and he's a beautiful black laddie who slightly resembles a fruitbat round the eyes...LOL  ;D
5.  My life/lifestyle is going to be very different from tomorrow onward, and i couldn't be happier!

Awesome!!!  :D Huge congratulations, Albatross!!!  :D.

« Reply #7107 on: July 05, 2019, 08:53:00 AM »
>drum roll<

BEST FRIDAY FIVE EVER!!!!!!

Welcome to the UKY family Jimmy!

Albatross - we REQUIRE photos.  We aren't just a cat board.  We love dogs too!

« Reply #7108 on: July 05, 2019, 09:08:37 AM »
Yay!  Happy Jimmy's Homecoming Day tomorrow!  So exciting!  :)

My five are not as exciting... :P

1. As I said in LMH, we got a new planer/thicknesser for the workshop.  We uncrate it tomorrow.  Okay, this is a little bit exciting.  But it's not a new member of the family exciting.

2.  I cut aluminium sheet yesterday, and it went much better than the first time I tried to cut aluminium.  I might be good at it by the time I've cut all the pieces I need.  Here's a pic of my latest attempt (attached).  It's 130mm wide by 295mm long, and the circle is exactly 100mm diameter.

3.  The weather has been fantastic this week.  My husband has had to work through it.  I, on the other hand, have been doing some serious garden relaxation time.  Oh, and some light tree pruning and weed pulling.  And workshop working.  But mostly garden relaxing.

4.  A few nights ago, my husband and I had the dreaded "what's for dinner" conversation that ultimately resulted in our standard go-to blackened chicken.  So two nights ago, to avoid this situation, I decided to start a chilli a couple of hours before he was due home from work.  Problem is, I am chilli-challenged.  I can't seem to make it taste like chilli.  So he came home, and he was all, "Oh, noms!"  And I was all, "Weeelllllllll....."  So he tries it and agrees.  It's not good.  I asked him to fix it and he wasn't sure it could be fixed.  So we're sitting in the lounge, discussing the debacle in the utili-kitchen, when I use the word "chilli" to refer to it, and he looks at me in what-I-mistook-for-mock surprise and said in what-I-mistook-for-a-sarcastic-tone, "Oh! That's meant to be chilli?!"  When he then got up and returned to the utili-kitchen to try to adjust the flavour balance, I realized he genuinely didn't know what it was meant to be.  And that is how chilli-challenged I am.   ::)

5.  Last night, we had the dreaded "what's for dinner?" conversation.

« Reply #7109 on: July 05, 2019, 09:15:14 AM »
FRIDAY!  FRIDAY!  FRIDAY!!!

1.  Tomorrow night I see STEVIE WONDER and LIONEL RICHIE in concert!

2.  The tickets were free from work!  I'll also get to check out some of our live marketing campaigns at the festival (BST in Hyde Park).

3.  My brother has a photo on Facebook and he is wearing neon green crocs.  People, I can't believe we are related sometimes.

4.  Attended my first sports day for my daughter this week.  It was very cute and I was a proud mama!

5.  Hotdogs for dinner tonight!

Sponsored Links