Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Friday Five!  (Read 410169 times)

• Liked: 957
Re: Friday Five!
« Reply #7305 on: September 13, 2019, 03:05:30 PM »

I love the idea of doing Tai Chi... I would need a very patient and understanding leader, though, as I have range of motion issues and really bad balance.  But it looks so cool when a group all do it together.

I read that and my eyes went up to my little octopus-in-a-top-hat and I smiled.  I love him!

That's why I like making little guys. So glad you appreciate him!

For tai chi, this is a learning class for a very slow style made specifically for arthritis and fall prevention. It's by a guy named Paul Lam in Australia. So we are learning a couple of the moves each week and building up to the full sequence. It's all about moving in ways that are safe for you, vs pushing at all. I'm still in a lot of pain from it, but I know over time it will be good. :)

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #7306 on: September 13, 2019, 03:22:47 PM »

That's why I like making little guys. So glad you appreciate him!

For tai chi, this is a learning class for a very slow style made specifically for arthritis and fall prevention. It's by a guy named Paul Lam in Australia. So we are learning a couple of the moves each week and building up to the full sequence. It's all about moving in ways that are safe for you, vs pushing at all. I'm still in a lot of pain from it, but I know over time it will be good. :)

Fall prevention is the reason it would be good for me.  As I said, I have very poor balance (my left vestibular nerve was severed during surgery in 2002).  I saw an article a couple of weeks ago about the importance of balance as we age, and here I've been bumping into walls since I was in my 20s.  I can't ride bike (or scooters or anything on two wheels where my feet don't touch the ground) anymore.  It's kind of sad.  So I'm starting at a disadvantage and getting older every day.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 239
« Reply #7307 on: September 13, 2019, 05:35:52 PM »
1. I start my job Tuesday (yay money!!!)
2. My driving lessons are good but I don't think I'll be ready for my test soon enough. I want to take it now lol.
3. I've had the luckiest Friday the 13th with not working in a hospital anymore 👍 I'm officially down 10 lbs since starting keto. 💁
4. Our kitty's 1 year gotcha day is Sunday. We shall spoil him properly.
5. I just had halloumi and pepperoni for supper and it was so good!
UK Spouse Visa (Priority)
Approved: 1 May 2018

FLR(M) Standard
Approved: 16 June 2021

ILR (SET M) Super Priority
Approved: 29 August 2023

« Reply #7308 on: September 13, 2019, 06:12:41 PM »
1. I start my job Tuesday (yay money!!!)
2. My driving lessons are good but I don't think I'll be ready for my test soon enough. I want to take it now lol.
3. I've had the luckiest Friday the 13th with not working in a hospital anymore 👍 I'm officially down 10 lbs since starting keto. 💁
4. Our kitty's 1 year gotcha day is Sunday. We shall spoil him properly.
5. I just had halloumi and pepperoni for supper and it was so good!

Ooh, grilled halloumi is something I wish I'd known about forever!  It's amazing!  How is it with pepperoni?  Isn't that salt overload?  We have it with tomatoes as a first course when we barbecue.

Congrats on the weight loss!  Do you feel a difference in energy levels?

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #7309 on: September 13, 2019, 07:07:22 PM »
1.  Life is insane since we returned from holiday, 7 business days ago.  I’ve been putting together a full recession plan.  So fun to name who needs to be cut as numbers drop....   ::)

2.  We did book a cruise for my 40th next August!  My parents are coming too. 

3.  My parents come over in October and I’m taking them to see Hamilton again.  I’m looking forward to seeing it again!

4.  I’m unwell with a bit of a chest cold, mostly a sore throat but my chest hurts too.

5.  Wishing the manic nature of work would slow down but think that’s highly unlikely!  I’m checking in when I can.  And I’m missing ksand!

• Liked: 239
« Reply #7310 on: September 13, 2019, 08:35:14 PM »
Ooh, grilled halloumi is something I wish I'd known about forever!  It's amazing!  How is it with pepperoni?  Isn't that salt overload?  We have it with tomatoes as a first course when we barbecue.

Congrats on the weight loss!  Do you feel a difference in energy levels?

I just ate about 30 grams with about 6 pieces of pepperoni so I didn't notice it being salty. I'm venturing out since starting keto so it's a good snack. I tried halloumi for the first time last week at Mandi's lol. I cook eat pepperoni every day. So good.

I don't as much now but when I started, I noticed a ramp up in energy. I can stay up until 10! Lolol.
UK Spouse Visa (Priority)
Approved: 1 May 2018

FLR(M) Standard
Approved: 16 June 2021

ILR (SET M) Super Priority
Approved: 29 August 2023

• Liked: 585
« Reply #7311 on: September 20, 2019, 07:04:25 AM »
Morning, pixies!  ;D

1.  It's Friday AND payday for me... woohoo!
2.  Got Jimmy booked in at the self-service dog wash tomorrow... I'm thinking he won't be bothered by this, as they probably got washed at the track fairly often, but...fingers crossed.
3.  OH is coming over tonight - we'll eat spag bol, drink wine (and probably some beer, as he's just back from a week in Belgium and brought some back with him) and cuddle the hound. 
4.  My friend gave me some apples from her tree - I threw them in the slow cooker with butter, cinnamon & sugar till they were nice and soft - and having them on my porridge this morning.
5.  'Adios, loser' to a work colleague who insinuated herself into my real life (not work) social circle, and then proceeded to become a complete ars***** and insult my friends.  I told her that wasn't on, and in a roundabout way let her know that i choose my friends over her, and so now she  has recently stopped speaking to me and de-friended me from FB!  She probably thinks she's hurting me, but I couldn't be more delighted!  Now if only I didn't have to see her every day at work....

« Reply #7312 on: September 20, 2019, 08:51:55 AM »
Woo, Albatross!  Bunch of positives!  Happy Payday Friday!  I did think the start of your #5 meant the not-friend moved away or something,  but getting her out of your social life if a huge step in the right direction.

My Five:

1.  Birthday week kicks off in stages... my husband gets home around 6pm today, and we'll commence with cheese platter.  But...

2. My husband's half-day this week is tomorrow, so there's a little blip in my birthday week opening celebrations.

3.  I have gifts this year.  Like, not just from my husband.  My sister sent me money at the start of the week, and then she also sent some stuff she ordered online.  And my inlaws left a box for me the last time they visited (five weeks ago!) because they didn't expect to see me again before or on my birthday.  And I assume my husband will get me/us something for the house or workshop... or an experience...?

4.  The weather is being  bit of a jerk.  Look at this week we just finished (the one in which my husband was working every day and my birthday did not fall), compared to next week (the one my husband booked off as holiday and in which my birthday does fall).

5.  Coming in from the workshop as my husband got home from work, he says, "Are you doing the shopping tomorrow?"  I then realized he has a week off and we have no food.  "I need to!"  So, I'll be off as soon as I get motivated...
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 08:56:18 AM by jfkimberly »

• Liked: 585
« Reply #7313 on: September 20, 2019, 10:05:48 AM »
  I did think the start of your #5 meant the not-friend moved away or something,  but getting her out of your social life if a huge step in the right direction.

It's so ridiculous.  She dramatically turns her face away from me when she passes by my desk, so that if I dare to say hello to her, she won't see me and can pretend not to hear me.  Like a petulant child.  This creature is 51 years of age, btw!  :o

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #7314 on: September 20, 2019, 11:29:52 AM »
FRIDAY!  FRIDAY!  FRIDAY!

1.  I've had a horrific cold for nearly two weeks now.  Started as a sore throat.  Now moved down into my chest and I have a terrible cough.  Kids are both now sniffling and sneezing.  Praying it's a different strain and not what I have as it's really wiped me out. 

2.  We are ordering pizza for lunch and sitting outside to eat it.  Got to have a little fun every now and then!

3.  My husband painted the "missing" side of the fence we got last summer last weekend.  I suggested hiring someone to finish painting it and miraculously it was painted.  LOL.  Cracks me up.  Whenever I suggest hiring someone, things get done.  Though I was serious about just hiring someone!

4.  I wish the weather would continue like this for many many more weeks to come!

5.  I feel a bit in a rut the last few weeks.  Need some sparkle in my life.  Post holiday blues and this cold are taking its toll. 

• Liked: 674
« Reply #7315 on: September 20, 2019, 11:37:38 AM »
Albatross, sounds like absolutely no loss, there.  ::)
KF I think we have variants of the same thing. I had chalked it up to all the foreign students bringing foreign germs back lately, but....

1) I can breathe again without sounding like the fish filter. My nose has stopped bleeding (from sneezing and blowing it) and seems healed. The outside of my nose, from the tissues. I look like WC Fields, though.

2) The Daughter whipped up a big pot of chicken tortilla soup, and six jars of it are processing in my pressure canner. Later said canner will be processing spaghetti (with meat) sauce and a few jars of potatoes. (They were starting to sprout, have to do something with them, this freezer is ridiculously small!) The Daughter made a really nice tomato sauce from a recipe from a magazine, so we're going to try canning it to see how it takes all that heat. Much cheaper to make your own as long as you can get good tomatoes on sale!

3) Apparently it's going to be lovely here for the next few days. If I had the energy I'd take the Weber kettle grill downstairs and cook the steaks we had the butcher deliver, later today. Not sure I'm up to that. Might have one cooked on a ripping hot cast-iron frying pan, though. New butcher, hope the meat is good. The chicken was fantastic (so hard to find chicken breasts still on the bone and with skin on!). I think the target steaks will be the Popesye ones - I ordered two of several different varieties to see which we prefer. ( But what a weird name!) They look pretty good. Maybe with a baked potato and a green salad.

4) I got so tired of this lame oven that takes forever to heat up and then has temperature swings of up to 30 degrees (in C) that make a shambles of trying to do proper baking that I bought a counter-top one from Lakeland. It heated up in less than 5 minutes and the temp (in the few tests I've done) has not varied more than 10c up or down, although it tends to run a little "hot". But reliably so, so we can adjust the temp we set the unit for to compensate.  As a "new" customer to Lakeland they gave me 10% off and also sent some chopping mats and kitchen tools as gifts, plus a coupon for  £5 off my purchase of £30 if I buy anything in October from them. Delivery was free, too. It has separate controls for the top and bottom heating elements, has a rotisserie unit, and can do conventional or fan cooking. Plus has a "crumbs" tray at the bottom. I'm happy with it, so far. (Made a nice freezer pizza the other day, will have to test it further when I'm feeling better.)

5) I am surprised it took this long, but we are now starting to get "we want to come visit" messages from friends and old co-workers. For the Holidays. After Brexit. Possibly bad timing, there!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 12:02:06 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 424
« Reply #7316 on: September 20, 2019, 12:53:06 PM »
FRIDAY!  FRIDAY!  FRIDAY!

1.  I've had a horrific cold for nearly two weeks now.  Started as a sore throat.  Now moved down into my chest and I have a terrible cough.  Kids are both now sniffling and sneezing.  Praying it's a different strain and not what I have as it's really wiped me out. 

I think we have the same nasty stuff!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #7317 on: September 20, 2019, 01:57:54 PM »
Albatross, hopefully Jimmy is a good boy for his bath.  So many dogs love a bath for all the attention and yours sounds like an attention hound  ;D  ;)
Happy Birthday week JFKimberly!
Sorry about the cold KFDancer, hope you're on the mend soon!
Nan, sounds good about the new oven!

Friday!

1.) Spent Tuesday clearing shrubs and trees from Culloden Battlefield as a team building. Was good to give back   [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

2.) Holy cow, nice weather outside. Nice Indian summer! [smiley=daisy.gif]

3.) Thanks to nice weather and being a Friday, the gym should hopefully be quiet tonight.  I hope ,I hope.  [smiley=clover2.gif]

4.) I'm going to Edinburgh in a few weeks to support a women in brewing beer festival ,called "Brews without Beards" (check it out) and I'm sitting on a panel to encourage more women into homebrewing. Should be awesome.   [smiley=evilgrin.gif]

5.) Hubby has to go away for a funeral early next week (I'm staying home to look after the animals).  Bring on the messy food and food full of dairy. Thinking of 1.) Tacos and 2.) BBQ with a side of mac 'n' cheese  [smiley=chef.gif]
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #7318 on: September 20, 2019, 04:11:16 PM »
I have officially fired my current client.  I'll be there one more week and it's been announced today.  If anyone asks, I am saying "we weren't able to agree on the terms of my next contract renewal " when I really mean"I am so sick of this hipster crap that I demanded a huge rate increase and you can shove your pair programming where the sun don't shine ".  Don't have another contract lined up and don't care.

« Reply #7319 on: September 20, 2019, 04:35:29 PM »
I have officially fired my current client.  I'll be there one more week and it's been announced today.  If anyone asks, I am saying "we weren't able to agree on the terms of my next contract renewal " when I really mean"I am so sick of this hipster crap that I demanded a huge rate increase and you can shove your pair programming where the sun don't shine ".  Don't have another contract lined up and don't care.

If this makes you happy, I like it.  Are you going to start seeking a new vontract elsewhere immediately, or will you take some time off?

Sponsored Links