Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Friday Five!  (Read 410628 times)

• Liked: 6110
Re: Friday Five!
« Reply #7365 on: October 25, 2019, 08:30:30 AM »
Chinook

This reminds me, three Chinooks flew RIGHT over my house a few days ago.. it was really quite dramatic!

5.  Ordered a new warm winter coat, with a snood, for my hound, and it's arriving today...can't wait to try it on him!

Looking forward to seeing Jimmy model his new outfit!  :D

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #7366 on: October 25, 2019, 10:06:50 AM »
This reminds me, three Chinooks flew RIGHT over my house a few days ago.. it was really quite dramatic!

I had a helicopter buzz the trees outside my window a week or two ago... It was so loud I thought it was landing on my house, and I looked out the window to see the treetops thrashing.  I Googled it, and it was this: https://www.westernpower.co.uk/business-services/helicopter-unit/about-heli-unit  They were inspecting the lines that run from the utility pole at the road along the boundary of our property back to the house behind us (where the crazy neighbours live).

Anyway, my five!

1.  My husband has yet another three day weekend!  *grin*  Those eighteen months of poo are a distant memory, now... I can't believe there was ever a time when he was gone for, like, 80% of the week.  Now he gets bonus days and long weekends all the time!  (I do wish he could just retire, though.)

2.  My sister received her birthday present (the box I posted about a few weeks ago), and she loved it!  We also tucked some old fashioned British sweets inside (Parma Violets, Fruit Salad & Black Jack, and Chocolate Limes), and she loved those, too.  Gift-giving success.  :)

3.  We're watching something on eBay that ends this weekend.  My husband said if we win it, we will go to Yandles (we would have to collect the item, and it's down in that area).  I've been trying to persuade him to go there since I discovered the place in 2017.  I want the item, but I really hope we win it so I can finally go look at all the pretty wood!

4.  We started Minecrafting again.  We'd made a minigame in 1.8 (Java) that we're now trying to streamline (and make functional) for Bedrock Edition.  We have some functionality restored, but we're hitting little snags with things that aren't in Bedrock yet (like target selectors in title text... we're puzzling how to announce the winner of a round).  Anyway, the fun of it is figuring out solutions to problems, so we'll muddle on.  Yay!  I'm making add-ons!

5.  Noms!  It's Friday before a three-day weekend, and I am going out to do the grocery shopping in a bit (the forecast says it should be a bit less rainy and yuck out around 2pm, so I'm allowing myself to be lazy and wait for that).  Egg nog, cheese platter, and all the delicious things are happening tonight, and all weekend long!... unless we get to go to Yandle's, in which case, that's a day spent.  But win-win... Yandle's!
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #7367 on: October 25, 2019, 11:12:13 AM »
Happy Friday!

1.) Have a second interview next week for the job I have been headhunted for. Good to have options! :)

2.) Snow has fallen already in the Highlands!! :o

3.) Life is getting crazy busy now, diary is filling up like mad through the end of the year. Musicians start Christmas stuff in late November and there are just a lot of other things on! [smiley=sleeping2.gif]

4.) Wonder if we will get any guisers on Thursday? Won’t matter anyways, as I have band practise and my husband won’t actually play along ::)

5.) Clocks go back this weekend and blurgh, so dark already, so going to be worse! [smiley=sick.gif]
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #7368 on: October 25, 2019, 11:59:22 AM »
2.) Snow has fallen already in the Highlands!! :o
5.) Clocks go back this weekend and blurgh, so dark already, so going to be worse! [smiley=sick.gif]

Snow already!?!

Ooh, is that this weekend?  I guess it doesn't matter which shift my husband is on next week.  He'll be home at dark from now going forward.  :(  Buuuuut, that does mean it's the holiday season, and that means we'll be in the mood for egg nog more often.  And Amazon had a minimum quantity of two on the booze I bought, so we're ready!  :)

Good luck with your interview!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #7369 on: October 25, 2019, 04:09:19 PM »
FRIDAY!  FRIDAY!  FRIDAY!

1.  My parents arrived this morning.  First time they have visited in 2 years.  Going to Kew Gardens tomorrow night for a double date without the kiddos.  Will be nice to get to *talk* to them and not have kids interrupting.  Will also be great the other 9 nights for my parents to really get to know my kids.  When we were there in February, you guys know my boy was in the hospital and really really ill.  So they didn't get to see his mischievous personality. 

2.  Hired a car for while they are here.  A minivan.  I feel like a proper mom.  They also said no matter what, if any damage, it's a deductible of £1,150.  I am now the proud owner of a third party insurance annual cover for hire cars for the grand price of £43.

3.  The £30 a jar mustard (you buy it on tap) that we currently have at work is going off in a month and they aren't having another event before then.  So they gave us permission to crack open the £4,500 main container and take home what we want in our own containers.  Works perfectly for me as we are having gammon for dinner tonight.   :D

4.  I'm also being headhunted.  Mixed views.  My work is soooo messed up in sooooo many ways.  But I've got some great traction.  Granted, this place is super backwards and not flexible.  So I definitely need to consider it.  Past first stage.  Second stage likely next week.

5.  I was pleased that my dad declared that Sobe looked fat and well when he arrived.  After having not seen him in person in 2 years, really nice to hear that my dad thinks he looks great.  I've been having a lot of bad dreams lately where I lose him.  I know the time will come sooner rather than later, but still want may more years with him.  Love that big boy kitty cat!

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #7370 on: October 25, 2019, 04:29:39 PM »

1.  My parents arrived this morning.  First time they have visited in 2 years.  Going to Kew Gardens tomorrow night for a double date without the kiddos.  Will be nice to get to *talk* to them and not have kids interrupting.  Will also be great the other 9 nights for my parents to really get to know my kids.  When we were there in February, you guys know my boy was in the hospital and really really ill.  So they didn't get to see his mischievous personality. 

2.  Hired a car for while they are here.  A minivan.  I feel like a proper mom.  They also said no matter what, if any damage, it's a deductible of £1,150.  I am now the proud owner of a third party insurance annual cover for hire cars for the grand price of £43.

3.  The £30 a jar mustard (you buy it on tap) that we currently have at work is going off in a month and they aren't having another event before then.  So they gave us permission to crack open the £4,500 main container and take home what we want in our own containers.  Works perfectly for me as we are having gammon for dinner tonight.   :D

4.  I'm also being headhunted.  Mixed views.  My work is soooo messed up in sooooo many ways.  But I've got some great traction.  Granted, this place is super backwards and not flexible.  So I definitely need to consider it.  Past first stage.  Second stage likely next week.

5.  I was pleased that my dad declared that Sobe looked fat and well when he arrived.  After having not seen him in person in 2 years, really nice to hear that my dad thinks he looks great.  I've been having a lot of bad dreams lately where I lose him.  I know the time will come sooner rather than later, but still want may more years with him.  Love that big boy kitty cat!

You'll be in our neighouhood then!
Be sure to visit the fantastic vietnamese grocery store at the richmond roundabout, you can park at the swimming pool next to it.  They've got fresh or frozen homemade Thai green curry that is super good but pretty spicey.   Take some home for another meal later.
For dinner, consider Tortilla, the good burrito place opposite the station.  You can order margheritas and sit downstairs where they have proper tables and it's quiet.  Or one of the last Carluccio's to still be open for a quality Italian.  Or the Tapas bar next to the station . 

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #7371 on: October 25, 2019, 04:40:50 PM »
There’s also a fancy French place that we like

« Reply #7372 on: October 25, 2019, 04:49:58 PM »
You'll be in our neighouhood then!
Be sure to visit the fantastic vietnamese grocery store at the richmond roundabout, you can park at the swimming pool next to it.  They've got fresh or frozen homemade Thai green curry that is super good but pretty spicey.   Take some home for another meal later.
For dinner, consider Tortilla, the good burrito place opposite the station.  You can order margheritas and sit downstairs where they have proper tables and it's quiet.  Or one of the last Carluccio's to still be open for a quality Italian.  Or the Tapas bar next to the station . 

We are booked into Coori, which is a gluten free restaurant.  And dairy free and nut free.  MAN, we know how to be WILD!!!!!

We have a Carluccio's by us.  I didn't realise they were closing restaurants down.  It's rather new!

May try to stop by the Vietnamese though.  Should be gluten free.  And would be Sunday night's dinner sorted.  ;)

• Liked: 676
« Reply #7373 on: October 25, 2019, 07:20:56 PM »
Friday Five:

1) The Daughter's Halloween Party is going strong out in the living room. She made enough food for a small army, so there should be leftovers for me. Or I might sneak out while they are watching Beetlejuice and get a plate. ;) She made dark chocolate fudge brownies, an apple cider cake that is basically a huge apple-flavored cake donut glazed in boiled-down cider. Tollhouse cookies. Oatmeal and raisin cookies. Three kinds of  mini-quiches, mini-pizza (store-bought), baked cheeses. Popcorn. Three kinds of tea and a big percolator full of Hawaiian coffee.... The house smells ~really~ good. She also got out all the Halloween decorations we brought with us (quite a lot) and they're all up, much to her guests' amusement. :)  There was some cackling at the decal of the witch-on-a-broomstick on the toilet seat cover and they all seem to have gotten silly out there now - there's much laughter.  (The allergy person showed up and all seems well.)  This is good.

2) So, the Daughter was chatting by phone with one of the Universities in the USA this week. For almost a half hour. It's a really good one. (And costs like $60,000+ a year if you are paying cash. For the tuition. Not housing. For an undergrad. Which, thankfully, she is not.   :o  ) She has been encouraged to formally apply. If admitted, she'd have full funding for five years, assuming she was doing well. If selected for the shortlist they will fly her over to meet everyone and give a presentation. The Uni here has suddenly also started to reach out to her to help her with her funding applications.  I'll be remaining here, if she goes to the States, at least for a while (if not permanently) as she'll need to come back here every summer for her research anyway and she won't need me to be providing a place to live over there as they'd give her a living stipend.  It's nice that things are starting to turn around for her, finally. She's more than paid her dues. So fingers are seriously crossed, if it's what she really wants to do. Brexit be damned.

3) The Botanic Gardens have their annual Halloween light show on. They are charging an arm and a leg to get to walk through the gardens in the evenings.  They have various decorations and colored lights set up to shine on the trees. And spooky music. I believe there's also a beer garden. Did I mention spooky music? As in you can hear it several blocks away spooky music? (At least they shut it off before it's tooo late.) Thump thump thump wooooooooooo. Thump thump thump wooooooo.....

4) We took the hamster cage apart today and packed it away. It seems something is missing in the house, without a sentient pet. The fish are great and all that, and somewhat interactive. And the house-spider in the loo is definitely alive.  But it's not the same. I'm on the fence about getting a cat now. We're allowed pets, but if things don't go well or plans change and we have to go home, I don't want to have to deal with shipping a cat overseas and also trying to find a place to live that would take it. It would be really nice to have a cat again, though. I had cats for many years, growing up. And we got the Daughter a kitten when she was quite young that lived with us until it died of old age a few years ago (a week short of age 21). I was quite fond of that cat. Even though it would wake me up at 5:30 every morning, 365 days a year, because I had to get up at that time when we first got it. Persistent thing, too. I couldn't just talk to it, I had to get up, walk to the kitchen, and turn on the coffee maker. I could then go back to bed, but she would keep after me if I didn't go to the kitchen and turn on the blasted coffee maker. Graveley old cat yowl. Would crawl under the bedcovers to continue to yowl if I tried to hide under them. ~sigh~   I miss that cat. She was in the window waiting every day when we got in from work/school. And would purr up a storm. Loved to sit on laps. :) She was a Really Good Cat.  ;D

5) I got myself a one-month subscription to Coasttocoastam.com and am going to download a bunch of the radio show archive tonight. Bigfoot. Aliens. Secret military agendas. Ghost EVPs. Illuminati. Reptiloid Shape-shifters.... It's the Weekly World News of the air. And entertaining. Probably not in the way they intended, but I love it.  ;D  I used to have it on every night when I was trying to get to sleep, at home. It worked like a charm - I rarely made it to the second half of the show.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 09:39:28 AM by Nan D. »

« Reply #7374 on: November 01, 2019, 08:08:51 AM »
It's Friday again!  Already!

1.  All day Wednesday, I kept thinking it was Sunday because my husband had the day off. I'm so confused all the time.  I love this job!

2.  Last week I mentioned an eBay auction we were watching... we won!  £390 for four 80x120cm 1200watt far infrared heating panels!  They were collection only down near Yeovil, but Yandles is also down that way (7 miles from the seller's house), so on Monday we had an amazing day out!  When we arrived at the seller's house with nearly £400 in cash, he was all, "I only expected £60 each for these heaters, so why don't we call it £300?"  Who were we to argue?  :)

3.  Then we went to Yandles... (!!!) ... where we spent £75 of that £90 we had just saved on various types of wood.  Bubinga, ash, walnut, mukwa, panga panga, palmira, olive, ... so much pretty wood!  And now we have to decide how to use it.  I'm picturing at least one tiny olive box with lid, because this wood is beautiful and it wants to be a shiny polished trinket box.

4.  My husband suggested I put off grocery shopping 'til Monday because my GP surgery does flu jabs on Mondays and Wednesdays.  I agreed because it sounded like a good idea.  But now I'm worried we'll starve to death before then.  (Hyperbole.... we have lots of food, it's just not necessarily stuff that goes together.)

5.  Premium bonds draw is tomorrow... good luck, everybody!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 09:04:24 AM by jfkimberly »

• Liked: 104
« Reply #7375 on: November 01, 2019, 09:34:56 AM »
Happy Friday everyone! Hope you all had a nice Halloween - and/or accidentally completely forgot about it, like I did  ;D

1) We went up to Thurso and John O'Groats last week and it was lovely! We had great weather and it was one of the most stunning places I've been. We went to a few beaches along the NC500 west of Thurso, then went to John O'Groats on our way home. PB -- thanks for recommending Stacks! It was a great refuge from the wind and I had a delicious cheesecake there. And we played dominoes. ;D We're hoping to make it to Orkney another time - as it's the off season, the ferries were hardly running. Caithness Horizons has closed btw - the sign out front made it sound like a funding issue that they're trying to resolve. I hope they work something out since I was looking forward to visiting!

2) Failed my driving test yesterday. Boo. Only had 2 minors but made a mistake on a roundabout that cost me. ::) I don't neeeeed my full license since I'm not driving at the moment but I just want to get it over with!

3) I had a really busy October with lots of travel up/down to Glasgow, concerts, and misc things that popped up. I'm looking forward to a quieter November. All we have booked in for the month is some friends coming to visit starting the 29th (and I hope it stays that way)!

4) Still no word on whether I'll still have a job after Christmas - technically, it's maternity cover and my contract ends on December 21st. Really hoping I find out soon because all of our move planning for next summer is dependent on it.

5) I'm taking a Mindfulness class at the local college for the next few weeks, just a leisure course on Wednesday evenings. The first (of eight) weeks was this week and I left feeling kind of meh about it - not a lot of time for discussion and he kept us to a very strict timetable within the 2 hours. We'll see how next week goes.
Spouse visa received: 30 November 2018
Arrived in the UK: 27 December 2018

FLR(M)
Application submitted: 4 August 2021 (super priority)
Biometrics: 15 August 2021
Decision: 16 August 2021 - approved!

ILR
Application submitted: 14 December 2023 (super priority)
Biometrics: 17 December 2023
Decision: 18 December 2023 - approved!

Friday Five!
« Reply #7376 on: November 01, 2019, 09:52:03 AM »

1.  I had Monday, yesterday and today off of work.  Been nice to have time with my parents and kids.  Went to Kew Saturday night for the Chihuly exhibit which was fantastic.  They had small pieces you could buy starting at £6,000 and the woman said they had sold 98 so far!  And they were from molds and not limited editions.  No thank you!  Though I would LOVE to own one of his pieces someday. 

2.  Today we are off to Brooklands Museum to see airplanes and buses.  Hoping to get tickets to the Concorde but they were fully booked online.  It seems they possibly release some on the day... here's hoping!

3.  My mom had a breakdown yesterday and admitted she has had some blood come back indicating kidney disease.  Got my dad to the side and it sounds pretty scary.  But right now everything is based on a blood test.  She sees a specialist on Tuesday and we will hopefully start to find out what we are dealing with.  Good thoughts appreciated.  Right now my dad and I are hoping the blood test was bullshit.  We can hope! 

4.  Fun Halloween last night.  Our house was done up for Halloween.  Probably got 20 trick or treaters.  One group the kids were scared to come up to the house.  LOL.

5.  Sobe turned 19 yesterday!  Photo of him with his lover Humpty attached.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 09:57:49 AM by KFdancer »

• Liked: 676
« Reply #7377 on: November 01, 2019, 09:58:48 AM »
Happy Birthday Sobe!

1) It's raining and miserable-looking outside. I am happily sitting inside with a cup of Hawaiian Hazelnut coffee, thankful that I don't have to go out there. (There's a bus broken down up the road and the driver has made all the passengers get out and stand around in the rain!)

2) Today I have to take down all the Halloween decorations and pack them away. I always hate having to do that.

3) We have a "taker" for many of the "baby" corys - someone who has a good big tank who wants them and understands how to take care of them. So in the next few days I will be trying to catch half a dozen of them to adopt out to their new home. (Thankfully! They are growing well and we really don't have a tank big enough to handle them all when they are full grown.)

4) Sent the Daughter to the shop yesterday to get some fresh fruit and she came back with bananas and said they were 50pence each. Yoiks!

5) A friend in the States sent me a care box. With saltines in it! And country gravy mix. And taco sauce (the good stuff). And several other items. I'm in pig-baby heaven and am going to go make bisquits in a bit so I can have them with some gravy.  ;D  A good way to end the week, I think!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #7378 on: November 01, 2019, 10:08:43 AM »
@KFdancer Those are fantastic pics!!!  ;D

Happy Birthday Sobe.  [smiley=balloon.gif] Here's to many more.

All good vibes to your mom. x

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #7379 on: November 01, 2019, 10:09:02 AM »
Exiting for all the bits of wood JFKimberly!
I'm glad you enjoyed Caithness elee27!
KFDancer, hopefully your Mom will know a lot more once they do some more tests.   Then at least you can know what you're dealing with. Good thoughts!
I bought my husband for his 40th birthday (Last April!) the Concorde simulator experience at Brooklands. We are finally going in March next year!!!  But!, you get to bring a guest to 'fly' too for an extra £20 so, I also get to take part in said Concorde simulator experience.  We are very excited!!  ;D
Enjoy your biscuits and gravy Nan. Yum!!  [smiley=cowboy.gif]

1.) Off to Edinburgh tomorrow to go to the Zoo - We planned to meet friends so we could see the giant lanterns, but my husband didn't actually look at the dates it's available (2 weeks to go) - so, err.... ::)

2.) I'm having so many discussions on job options, wild..........  All good things, but feet are in two canoes!!!  :o

3.) Having to take random days off until the end of the year to use up holidays, so I don't lose them, so I think there will be a lot of beer making in my future!  [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

4.) Getting totally manic until the end of the year and into next year. Diary is totally chukka-blok!  Life of a musician at this time of year can be crazy!!  [smiley=guitarist.gif]

5.) Loved seeing the pictures from my sisters taking their kids Trick or Treating . There are all these big Victorian mansions in my parents neighbourhood (and one is properly haunted, so they say, they've even written books on it!), so they were all spooky and decked out. I remember going through the Haunted Houses as a kid and pooping myself! So fun!  ;D
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab