Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Friday Five!  (Read 410187 times)

• Liked: 4985
Re: Friday Five!
« Reply #7800 on: August 07, 2020, 06:15:23 PM »
Friyay!

1.  Got my new home office all set up.  Been good to have 3 monitors again this week.  Yes, I like 3 monitors. 

2.  Feel like I'm starting to understand more about my new job/company and starting to gain some respect.

3.  One week of work until our motorhome adventure!

4.  Me no likey heat over 26, let alone over 30.  Sorry. 

5.  I need to get my online food shop done for tomorrow's delivery!

Albatross, it's crazy that they've had you in the office and quite naughty.  If the other bank is hiring, that's a good sign.  My company is growing despite COVID.  So it can be "safe".

• Liked: 585
« Reply #7801 on: August 14, 2020, 08:28:08 AM »
Fingers crossed we all have a happy Friday!

1.  My housing situation sucks.  I wish I could find a way to change it.  Last night when I was walking the hound about 10pm, someone water-bombed us from the 14th floor of a tower block.  At least I hope it was water.  :-X 

2.  Got a meeting with my boss at 3, regarding this internal job switch they are trying to push me into that I do NOT want to do.  I suspect that no matter how many meetings we have to discuss it, I really have no choice in the matter, apart from seeking employment elsewhere.

3.  F*ck you, Covid and what you've done to the live music industry.

4.   I am so struggling to think of anything positive to add to this list!  OH and I were out for a beer earlier this week and we both sat there at the table lamenting at how much we have each equally screwed up our lives, and how it's too late to really fix anything, with him in his mid-60's and me in my late 50's.  I just wish we could wind the clock back about 20 years.

5.  Something positive!  This place has erupted with brambles!!  I think I may do some foraging this weekend.

5a.... I just thought of another positive... I ordered a new collar for Jimmy last night.... it's black with orange and yellow FLAMES on it!!  Hot rod!  ;D

• Liked: 674
« Reply #7802 on: August 14, 2020, 08:55:57 AM »
Albatross - I don't remember if you are living with OH or not. But if between you you could get up the cash, my apartment will be vacant soon and there is at least one (possibly more) also vacant in the building. No problems with pets. The buildings have lifts. Nice area for the dog out back (fenced). On transportation, but a good way from Clydebank which could be a problem for you.  I have not seen them advertised online yet, but eventually they will. And if happens before we got into our place, they'll market at one price, and then slowly lower the price as it doesn't rent. We got in here for £250 a month less than the rent we first saw advertised.  The flats are large - three bedrooms - so a roomie isn't out of the question.  That is just intolerable about the waterbomb. UGH!

You can never look back. All you will do is lament the things that if you'd just been able to do differently....

Yea for flames!

Take care.

« Reply #7803 on: August 14, 2020, 09:53:29 AM »
Albatross - I don't remember if you are living with OH or not. But if between you you could get up the cash, my apartment will be vacant soon and there is at least one (possibly more) also vacant in the building. No problems with pets. The buildings have lifts. Nice area for the dog out back (fenced). On transportation, but a good way from Clydebank which could be a problem for you.  I have not seen them advertised online yet, but eventually they will. And if happens before we got into our place, they'll market at one price, and then slowly lower the price as it doesn't rent. We got in here for £250 a month less than the rent we first saw advertised.  The flats are large - three bedrooms - so a roomie isn't out of the question.  That is just intolerable about the waterbomb. UGH!

You can never look back. All you will do is lament the things that if you'd just been able to do differently....

Yea for flames!

Take care.

Aww, thanks for that Nan... It does sound like a great flat, and I know and like the area, but I'm pretty sure it will be WELL outwith my price range!  Thanks anyway, though.   :)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #7804 on: August 14, 2020, 10:06:38 AM »
3.  F*ck you, Covid and what you've done to the live music industry.

My daily mantra!!!

Happy Friday!

1.) I'm on holiday for a week , after this day finishes and I can't wait!!!   [smiley=daisy.gif]

2.) 'Tis the season of block, unfriend ,and unfollow on Facebook! [smiley=bomb.gif] [smiley=smash.gif]

3.) Need to bottle up the American Pale Ale I made last week [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

4.) I hope I can continue working from home for the longer term. Lovin' it. [smiley=computer.gif]

5.) Listening to the Bill & Ted Face the Music Soundtrack album. It's pretty epic.  [smiley=guitarist.gif]
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 768
« Reply #7805 on: August 14, 2020, 12:25:26 PM »
My Friday Five.

See photo. Just received my delivery from the Welsh Mangalitza Pork farm. All these beautiful items came from a 3.5 year old Mangalitza pig. Pasture raised in beautiful Wales. Lovingly cared for by a husband and wife team. It has only left the farm once to go to the abattoir. (and then back to the farmfor butchery.)

I am in awe of these beautiful offerings and I will celebrate each dish I make with them.

1) Bacon

2) Various spiced sausages. No fillers or binders. Just pork and seasoning. This is super important to me because I don't eat wheat, rice, potatoes or sugar and many sausages use fillers made from such items.

3) lard

4) Pork sausage meat wrapped in caul fat.  No fillers or binders.

5) Sausages wrapped in bacon. Again,  no fillers or binders.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 957
« Reply #7806 on: August 14, 2020, 12:44:27 PM »
Every day is blending together at this point, but yay! Friday!

1. I ordered a big pack of flatbreads in our last bread order so today is pizza for lunch. And that means leftover pizza for breakfast tomorrow because I can't eat an entire pizza all at once. (Husband would happily help, but I like leftovers.)

2. I've been making the effort to start retraining a bit to try and move in a slightly different direction career wise. I love what I did in the states, but "comparable roles" here just don't seem to exist outside of contractors, and I'm really not comfortable with trying to sort out the taxes of being a contractor. I want a job with specific tasks and problem solving that I can do from home, so I'm looking more towards dev ops since that can still include data ops. *fingers crossed*

3. I'm so glad we had a portable AC this past week. It was on almost non stop but we could sleep and I was able to breathe. I was definitely worried and thinking about all the elderly folks and people recovering from covid without it :(

4. One of my friends is finally getting a much needed surgery that was deemed urgent in September last year. Gotta love the NHS. I am praying it helps solve many of her health issues, even if it will take some time to bounce back from.

5. I miss music, but I'm still grateful for the live streams so musicians are doing. El Hornet, the dj from Pendulum, has been going through his non-electronic music on Thursdays and its honestly been a ray of sunshine for me. So many old punk/ska/metal records. This week included old Japanese 7" records. Things you'd probably never hear outside of someone who has been to Japan and gone crate digging for years.

• Liked: 674
« Reply #7807 on: August 14, 2020, 01:01:29 PM »
For once I'm actually aware it's Friday.

1) We hiked to the Maryhill Tesco early today and bought an air mattress to sleep on. The movers come several days before our flight (hopefully!, knocking on wood) and I didn't want to pay for a hotel. So a £5 air mattress serves the purpose. Got a few other goodies (chorizo, cheese, crackers) to eat while the weather is hot. (Hot. Hah.)

2) On the way back we stopped at a little cafe (Elois?) next to Opal Moon on Queen Margaret Drive. The food is fantastic. Ate at a table outside the front door, since it was early enough that there wasn't much foot traffic on the sidewalk. Wish I'd known that place was there earlier! I think that with the half-price food M-W and this place (as well as Non Viet) and some nibbles from the shops, we're good on having all the pots/pans/dishes packed.

3) Almost everything that can be packed is now packed. A lady from the local SNP Councillor's office is going to come by in a few days to pick up all the canned and dry goods we have left and take them to the food bank for us. We're happy she'll do it, and she seems thrilled to be able to, so it's a win-win. Maybe she can take the microwave, too. We forgot to send that to the Princess of Wales Hospice.

4) I am tired. We've done a lot, and there's not a lot (other than cleaning and that's, relatively speaking, not all that strenuous) left to do. I am still sad to leave.

5) All this seems so anticlimactic. I was supposed to be living out my "golden years" here. So all the work I put into making that happen: government permissions, moves, feathering of nests, etc., is wasted.  Oh, well. I had fun anyway. :)

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #7808 on: August 14, 2020, 08:07:03 PM »
Yesterday we were supposed to be leaving for almost two weeks in France.  The quarantine announcement would have hit just after we had arrived .  We saw the signs and cancelled the trip, but now we've got tons of time here in the UK. 

Tomorrow is going to be one night near Felixistowe because we have run out of other things places to visit, and then later in the week we've got a few days in a Ait B n B somewhere I'm not even sure.  At this point, we've just got to get out of the house.  Every single place is full everywhere. 

I'm very sad to see Nan going.

Who the hell drops water out of 14th floor window?  Don't worry Albatross, Karma will certainly strike back for you. 

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #7809 on: August 14, 2020, 10:08:19 PM »
Albatross, those kinds of things make me so mad!

1.  I'm so glad we aren't attempting abroad this year.  We will also stay in the UK between Christmas & New Years (we usually go to Spain).  And we won't be going to Florida in February as we just don't see things improving.  And if they do, everyone will scramble to book at once and prices will skyrocket.

2.  I bought tickets to see Dita Von Teese next year.  I am OUT OF MY MIND excited.  I've wanted to see her for a good 20 years.  My husband has no idea who she is but he is going to be very happy!

3.  Last day of work today before holiday.  My old boss always brought up some drama and had me in tears right before my holidays (literally every time).  New boss was amazing, assuring there will be no dramas, and asked all the questions and showed interest in what we are doing.   Ahhh, a positive work environment!

4.  We pick up the motorhome tomorrow.  Fingers crossed we can handle driving it, like it, and that it's DRY the next couple of weeks.  I don't need sun, I don't want hot, but dry would be fantastic.   I will happily bundle up and wear layers.

5.  Hoping we do a good job of avoiding others on our England and Wales adventure.  We do not want to add to the stats!!!

« Reply #7810 on: August 17, 2020, 09:04:49 AM »
3.  Last day of work today before holiday.  My old boss always brought up some drama and had me in tears right before my holidays (literally every time).  New boss was amazing, assuring there will be no dramas, and asked all the questions and showed interest in what we are doing.   Ahhh, a positive work environment!

4.  We pick up the motorhome tomorrow.  Fingers crossed we can handle driving it, like it, and that it's DRY the next couple of weeks.  I don't need sun, I don't want hot, but dry would be fantastic.   I will happily bundle up and wear layers.

5.  Hoping we do a good job of avoiding others on our England and Wales adventure.  We do not want to add to the stats!!!

Hope you guys have a fab holiday!
If you enjoy it, maybe you can come to Bonnie Jockoland next time!  ;D

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #7811 on: August 21, 2020, 08:58:36 PM »
Happy Friday!

1.) Been on staycation holiday this week. Been so nice to not be at work! [smiley=joker.gif]

2.) Been lucky with the weather, everything has turned out different than forecast!   [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

3.) Been oot and aboot all over the Highlands. Long drives, at times, but haven’t run into too many people where we have been,so pretty awesome!   O0

4.) I love living up here and feel so amazing. 12 and 3/4 years here and I still feel so damn lucky! [smiley=heart.gif] [smiley=clover2.gif] [smiley=heart.gif]

5.) Errr, we did go to one place and it was all blocked off by the cops and we heard actual gunshots. That was a bit scary.... Trying to scan newspapers to see what happened.  [smiley=help.gif]
You're stuck with me!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #7812 on: August 28, 2020, 08:27:05 AM »
Happy Friday!!

1.) Miserable weather this morning.  Blech.  :-\\\\

2.) I woke up feeling hungover, even though no alcohol was consumed.  ???

3.) I am venturing to town tomorrow on a quest for a used refrigerator or freezer.  I'm still working on trying to make a kegerator. Lockdowns have really dampened this with supplies and finding equipment, etc.  [smiley=smart.gif]

4.) I need to clean out the chicken coop. Always a fun task.  :-X

5.) Better get some more coffee, I have meetings for the rest of the day!!  [smiley=sleeping2.gif]
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 104
« Reply #7813 on: August 28, 2020, 08:32:56 AM »
Happy Friday!

• Very very grey and rainy today. Looking forward to a quiet night in already!
  • Been dog sitting for a friend this week and have loved having a dog around the house. ;D She’s a very energetic puppy but sooo sweet.
  • Trying to get used to my husband being away during the day since schools reopened. I didn’t realise how much I’d miss having him around all day. :(
  • Work shows no sign of slowing down, just busy busy busy every day. I enjoy it and find it interesting but am definitely ready for the weekend. 😴
  • A few weeks ago I started watching 90 Day Fiancé: The Other Way since I needed something mindless to watch and relax (I normally love dramas). My husband is now VERY into it and we have so much fun watching it. Did not expect that!!
Spouse visa received: 30 November 2018
Arrived in the UK: 27 December 2018

FLR(M)
Application submitted: 4 August 2021 (super priority)
Biometrics: 15 August 2021
Decision: 16 August 2021 - approved!

ILR
Application submitted: 14 December 2023 (super priority)
Biometrics: 17 December 2023
Decision: 18 December 2023 - approved!

• Liked: 957
« Reply #7814 on: August 28, 2020, 12:08:31 PM »
Happy Friday. It has been pretty awful weather this week. :( Need more sunshine!

1. EDS has been winning lately. I don't want to increase my pain meds because they don't work incredibly well, and I can't digest the long acting meds, but I can't sleep for more than a couple hours before pain wakes me up (along with the struggle to fall asleep) so it's been a horrible few weeks. If I had a job, it's been so bad lately that I would have to be on medical leave, so I guess that's one good thing about covid unemployment.

2. Because of how rough the last few months have been, my husband agreed I could try medical cannabis because it's been life altering (in a good way) for many with EDS. It improves the quality of REM sleep, which in turn allows so many other things to improve. I haven't touched it since I was a young college kid, but I vaped back then because asthma kept me from smoking so I'm hopeful with the high tech devices now I'll still be able to tolerate it. I also have a high quality activated charcoal air filter already, so it won't smell in the house which is important to me. They're prescribing an oil to try as well, which I'll get first based on what is currently available in the country. CBD oils didn't make me sick but also did nothing, so *fingers crossed* it helps (12.5mg thc, 25mg CBD for anyone interested).

3. Really hope the wait for the visa is over soon. Its driving me buggy to not have a document that says I'm legal in the country.

4. Its our anniversary next week, 3 years ago I was in the US waiting for a visa and it arrived a couple weeks later. Hoping to go to Wisley or somewhere pretty that we can rent a wheelchair for it. (hoping with covid they are still doing that)

5. I found out what was happening to all my tomatoes as they ripened. I thought it was squirrels. Nope, the magpies have been taking them. I watched as one pulled the tomato off, smushed it down enough to hold it in its beak, and fly off with an almost ripe tomato larger than its head!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab