Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Friday Five!  (Read 410854 times)

• Liked: 676
Re: Friday Five!
« Reply #8775 on: April 28, 2023, 08:19:41 PM »
I can understand that!  The only downside is that until very recently there hasn't been much on the market to get to replace them as they wear out. That seems to be changing lately. Although I almost had a stroke when I saw the prices they are charging for LPs!   When I was a teen they were $3.99. 

Ok, yeah, that was a LONG time ago.  8) ;D

• Liked: 957
« Reply #8776 on: April 28, 2023, 09:53:17 PM »
Totally!! I've been collecting records since I was teenager and my husband is totally sucked in too.
I met my husband through music but his collection is still at his parents house, getting functional turntables was high on my list when I moved. I hope you do well in the homebrew competition.

I had biometrics today and I am truly hoping we did everything right. Long covid has completely fried my brain and the stress of the process has me pretty wiped out. Hopefully next Friday I'll be able to celebrate being a permanent resident.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #8777 on: April 28, 2023, 09:58:29 PM »
I had biometrics today and I am truly hoping we did everything right. Long covid has completely fried my brain and the stress of the process has me pretty wiped out. Hopefully next Friday I'll be able to celebrate being a permanent resident.

Good luck!!!!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 585
« Reply #8778 on: May 05, 2023, 05:07:27 PM »
My OH has a couple of thousand vinyl LPs and 12-inch singles.
I've told him these will all be sold before he is cold in his grave!
It annoys me SO EFFING MUCH because we don't have a turntable, and even if we did, we both stream most of our music or listen to iPods and we don't even listen to music in the house all that often... usually only in cars or on trains, so all this vinyl is just clutter to me.  We have a bedroom full of them and other of his 'collectable treasures'(what he calls it.  I call it a hoard)... no furniture in the room, just boxes and plastic crates and bin bags full of his crap.  A whole room wasted on this stuff.  I hate it SO MUCH.
I feel like, sell it all now so that we can enjoy the proceeds, and gain another room in the flat for an office or a guest bedroom.

HAAAAAAAATE!!!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #8779 on: May 05, 2023, 06:17:07 PM »
Albatross, And I take it he doesn’t want to? 😂
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 585
« Reply #8780 on: May 11, 2023, 06:31:17 AM »
Albatross, And I take it he doesn’t want to? 😂

Errrrrr... no!  [smiley=laugh4.gif]
He is extremely attached to his possessions.  Even if they have no use whatsoever.  He is just a giant child.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #8781 on: May 20, 2023, 08:34:12 AM »
Errr, Friday! Actually it was when I started this and then forgot and it's now Saturday....

Quiet around here

1.) Spent the morning picking up litter all around the streets and park by the office today with my workmates.  That was nice and better than working! [smiley=daisy.gif]

2.) Had a beer competition last weekend.  Didn't win any prizes by my two beers entered scored well - One 'Excellent' and one (quite experimental one) 'Very Good'.  So I'm pleased. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

3.)  My last quiet weekend until late September? So much going on! Lots of music! [smiley=guitarist.gif]

4.) Enjoying my garden a lot this year, but always a war on slugs! [smiley=cowboy.gif]

5.) I could do with a holiday!  [smiley=sleeping2.gif]

You're stuck with me!

« Reply #8782 on: May 20, 2023, 12:12:35 PM »
Congratulations on the beer being well rated PB!

Every time I think the end is in sight, that everything will be okay, I'm reminded that this is the UK and they hate disabled people. I'm having to get my MP involved in my ILR application, I don't know if I'll be able to get it thanks to the Life in the UK test. I've spoken to people with much less severe but more well known conditions who had their waiver accepted with no problems, but UKVI decided I "should be treatable", which means risking anaphylaxis just to get to the test centre. They simply do not believe my doctors, non-medically trained visa processing staff overruled them. I've faced outright discrimination in every aspect of life here, and now this. I'm exhausted and want to give up.

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #8783 on: May 20, 2023, 03:53:00 PM »
Congratulations on the beer being well rated PB!

Every time I think the end is in sight, that everything will be okay, I'm reminded that this is the UK and they hate disabled people. I'm having to get my MP involved in my ILR application, I don't know if I'll be able to get it thanks to the Life in the UK test. I've spoken to people with much less severe but more well known conditions who had their waiver accepted with no problems, but UKVI decided I "should be treatable", which means risking anaphylaxis just to get to the test centre. They simply do not believe my doctors, non-medically trained visa processing staff overruled them. I've faced outright discrimination in every aspect of life here, and now this. I'm exhausted and want to give up.

That sucks!  Please let me know if I can help you somehow.  I can drive you to the test center in Housnslow if that helps.

« Reply #8784 on: May 20, 2023, 04:10:14 PM »
  That sucks!  Please let me know if I can help you somehow.  I can drive you to the test center in Housnslow if that helps.
It's booked in Reading because that's as far as I can manage to drive (I won't be able to walk or drive for a week after, but hey, "treatable" according to them). It's up an elevator shared with multiple other companies, and no windows that open, so I'm more worried about the actual test centre because I nearly had an A&E trip from my husband cooking a (usually safe) mild curry this week.

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #8785 on: May 22, 2023, 08:41:29 AM »
It's booked in Reading because that's as far as I can manage to drive (I won't be able to walk or drive for a week after, but hey, "treatable" according to them). It's up an elevator shared with multiple other companies, and no windows that open, so I'm more worried about the actual test centre because I nearly had an A&E trip from my husband cooking a (usually safe) mild curry this week.

I can see why you would be concerned, the test centre near me wasn't accommodating at all.   

• Liked: 718
« Reply #8786 on: May 22, 2023, 11:01:35 AM »
My wife’s brother is disabled and recounts many instances of the lack of facilities provided. He needs wheelchair access these days but a few years ago while “just” needing crutches he attended an assessment from a doctor to validate the renewal of his disabled parking badge. The appointment was at small hotel nearby but once there he discovered that the doctor was in a room on the first floor and there was no elevator. His medical assessment was done downstairs where a wedding reception was taking place.

Neither he nor the doctor were impressed at the arrangements that had been made.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #8787 on: May 22, 2023, 11:25:58 AM »
My wife’s brother is disabled and recounts many instances of the lack of facilities provided. He needs wheelchair access these days but a few years ago while “just” needing crutches he attended an assessment from a doctor to validate the renewal of his disabled parking badge. The appointment was at small hotel nearby but once there he discovered that the doctor was in a room on the first floor and there was no elevator. His medical assessment was done downstairs where a wedding reception was taking place.

Neither he nor the doctor were impressed at the arrangements that had been made.
This is why I haven't finished my blue badge application. I've started it many times, but then get overwhelmed with the thought of more dehumanising treatment and close it before paying.

There's been a lot of horrific hotel accessibility stories recently too. https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/may/21/disabled-woman-forced-to-sleep-in-hotel-dining-area-after-booked-room-was-unavailable?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other  Thankfully the disabled community here is incredibly supportive so there is a whole group of people online helping each other and providing resources, but these experiences add up and cause physical harm, both from the lack of access and the emotional toll.

I need PTSD treatment badly, once we are settled with an accessible home (provided this is resolved) it's at the top of my private healthcare list. We are looking in the Northampton and Nottingham suburbs because it's affordable enough and still possible to occasionally head to London if required for healthcare and work. I'd been swooning over houses in North Wales but it's not practical right now.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #8788 on: June 02, 2023, 03:48:32 PM »
Friday!!

1.) The weather has been absolutely stunning this week. And it continues. Awesome!!!!  [smiley=daisy.gif]

2.) Have a Bier de Garde fermenting away. Hopefully a nice one when it's done!  [smiley=bulb.gif]

3.)  A close friend passed away last week from lung cancer. I am so very sad. His funeral is next week.  We managed a small little band group to play outside of his window at the cottage hospital he was at a few days before he passed away so that was bittersweet.   Cancer is a bloody bastard.  [smiley=bigcry.gif] [smiley=bigcry.gif] [smiley=bigcry.gif] [smiley=bigcry.gif]

4.) Uggh, had a gig that we've been working hard at to get ready for, cancelled. Grr.  >:(

5.) One sister has booked flights for a visit this summer and I think another one may join her. Ace!!!  >:D O0 [smiley=balloon.gif] [smiley=guitarist.gif] [smiley=hat.gif] [smiley=mad.gif] [smiley=smitten.gif]
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #8789 on: June 02, 2023, 05:42:34 PM »
PB, I'm so sorry about your friend.

Sponsored Links