Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Friday Five!  (Read 410851 times)

• Liked: 1892
Re: Friday Five!
« Reply #8790 on: June 02, 2023, 07:20:28 PM »
Friday!!

1.) The weather has been absolutely stunning this week. And it continues. Awesome!!!!  [smiley=daisy.gif]

2.) Have a Bier de Garde fermenting away. Hopefully a nice one when it's done!  [smiley=bulb.gif]

3.)  A close friend passed away last week from lung cancer. I am so very sad. His funeral is next week.  We managed a small little band group to play outside of his window at the cottage hospital he was at a few days before he passed away so that was bittersweet.   Cancer is a bloody bastard.  [smiley=bigcry.gif] [smiley=bigcry.gif] [smiley=bigcry.gif] [smiley=bigcry.gif]

4.) Uggh, had a gig that we've been working hard at to get ready for, cancelled. Grr.  >:(

5.) One sister has booked flights for a visit this summer and I think another one may join her. Ace!!!  >:D O0 [smiley=balloon.gif] [smiley=guitarist.gif] [smiley=hat.gif] [smiley=mad.gif] [smiley=smitten.gif]
  What is a  Bier de Garde ?  It just so happens I am running a brewing competition that focuses on  Bier de Garde , so once you explain what it is and send me a bottle, you can win!

Sorry to hear about your friend.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #8791 on: June 02, 2023, 07:23:32 PM »
Really sorry about your friend, Phatbeetle  :\\\'(

My Friday Five:

1) I turned 40 on Wednesday  :o . I had to work a 12-hour shift, but I was able to celebrate with my family over the bank holiday weekend... we saw The Lion King in Bristol and went for a Thai meal :).

2) On Monday, Mum and I finally booked our flights to Australia and New Zealand for January 2024. I try to visit a big city for every big birthday (so far I've done London, NYC and Paris for 18, 21 and 30), and it's been my plan to do Australia for my 40th since I turned 30, as Australasia is now the only continent I've never been to, but we want to go to the Australian Open Tennis, so it'll be a January trip instead of May.

3) Today has been the first day we've seen the sun here in East England since Monday! Bloody low cloud from the North Sea just refused to go anywhere all week  :(.

4) I've been working lots of shifts recently (with only 1 day off between shift runs for the last few weeks, not counting last weekend), but starting next Wednesday, I have 2.5 weeks off  (I have trips to Italy and the New Forest):D

5) Had to get my car fixed today, as it had a couple of advisories on the MOT earlier this year, and I decided I'd better get them sorted ASAP after I started hearing a scraping noise when I turned right (it was the brake pads/discs)!

• Liked: 424
« Reply #8792 on: June 02, 2023, 08:52:40 PM »
Very sorry about your friend phatbeetle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 424
« Reply #8793 on: June 02, 2023, 08:53:07 PM »
Happy Birthday ksand!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #8794 on: June 03, 2023, 07:06:02 PM »
Thanks all, it's been quite sad. 

Happy Birthday Ksand24!!

What is a  Bier de Garde ?  It just so happens I am running a brewing competition that focuses on  Bier de Garde , so once you explain what it is and send me a bottle, you can win!

It's a strong French farmhouse ale.  It will be ready in October and I will be more than happy to send you some! 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #8795 on: July 28, 2023, 10:10:42 AM »
Friyay!!!  Haven't done a Friday Five in a long while, ooops.  Here I am.  Has anyone seen @ksand24?  I imagine she's abroad on an assignment.

1.  My kids finished their current year of school last Friday.  My daughter will be going into Y5 and my son into Y2!  I can't believe my daughter only has 2 years left of primary school! 

2.  The week has been very overwhelming.  I am still working and I work from home.  My husband is 100% in the office.  For a bit of the day, the kids are home and bored while I'm working.  It's not long or unreasonable, but they do want to be entertained every second of every day.  It's exhausting. 

3.  We went camping last weekend in the pouring down rain.  We are usually very lucky with camping weather.  This was a site that we book a year in advance though due to popularity.  MANY other campers gave up and went home midday Saturday.  We stuck it out thanks to our gazebo.  We are hoping to get another weekend in in September to make up for the wet miserable experience this week!

4.  Me and the kids leave next Saturday to go to Florida.  I'll work from Florida so my kiddos can have fun with my parents pool and all things sun, beach, and fun.  I'll take at least a week off and we will hopefully do a proper family holiday in there, but still looking for things.  My husband comes over partway through and we will all come home together.  I'm lucky I can work from the USA.  I normally go 3 weeks between immunotherapy but my oncologist is happy for me to have a one off of 4 weeks. 

5.  One awesome thing this week is my 9 year old is desperate to make pocket money.  She's been helping me do some much needed organisation and making a few quid as a result!  I'm hopeful ALL the bits I've been wanting to get done, WILL be done before we leave town.  That'll be such a relief!!

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #8796 on: July 28, 2023, 11:27:50 AM »
Friyay!!!  Haven't done a Friday Five in a long while, ooops.  Here I am.  Has anyone seen @ksand24?  I imagine she's abroad on an assignment.

I’m still here .

I’m not currently working overseas, but I am spending a few days in Switzerland with friends this weekend .

I will be in the Falklands for a few weeks in September though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 676
« Reply #8797 on: July 28, 2023, 06:12:44 PM »
4.  Me and the kids leave next Saturday to go to Florida.  I'll work from Florida so my kiddos can have fun with my parents pool and all things sun, beach, and fun.  I'll take at least a week off and we will hopefully do a proper family holiday in there, but still looking for things.  My husband comes over partway through and we will all come home together.  I'm lucky I can work from the USA.  I normally go 3 weeks between immunotherapy but my oncologist is happy for me to have a one off of 4 weeks. 

Be ready for extreme heat and humidity.  As in even worse than normal for there!  The ocean water temp is up to 101F in the Keys.

But have fun!

« Reply #8798 on: July 28, 2023, 06:34:48 PM »
Friday Five. Yes, it is Friday, isn't it?  ;D

1) It's been raining to the extent that I will not be surprised to see the neighbors constructing an ark in their yard.  We got another full inch of rain yesterday afternoon alone. The road to the allotment has now pretty much washed out - it's downhill and has gullies in it that are over a foot deep now. I managed to get down there on foot yesterday and got several big bags of garden waste hauled out and taken to the town compost pile, but it wasn't easy.  Thankfully I don't need to go down there for the next day or two - I had wanted to plant more Scarlet Runner Beans yesterday, but the ground was just sopping wet, so I have to wait a bit. Since it then rained even more later on they may not get planted this year. Too bad, the pollinators love them and we seem to be a bit short on pollinators, generally, this year. Hopefully I can get back in on Sunday without breaking an ankle to check on things. I've got some tomatoes just starting to turn red now.   :)

2)  Today is "heat" day. The heat index is over 100F, between the heat and the humidity. At about 9:00pm last night the humidity was 97% - it was not raining. It was a bit better this morning as far as that part of things go, but with the sun out it's heated up a lot. I don't see how that won't result in more rain, but they say we are not due for more today. But yes for again tomorrow. (Sigh)  I drove over to do my weekly grocery shop instead of walking it and made sure to be there when the store opened. Got in, out, and put the car under the carport at home and was back into the house while it was still decent out. It is not "decent" out there right now.  ::)  It could be worse.  It's been so hot in Arizona the the cacti are dying from the heat. It takes a lot of heat to kill a cactus! [Cue the "wet heat" vs. "dry heat" killed her argument here.]  And it's unlikely to spontaneously catch fire here.

3) I went out to my kitchen earlier this week and put the electric kettle on. Came back when it beeped and poured a cup of hot water to make tea. Noticed a lot of little black specks in it. On investigation, found more little black specks all over the counter. Except they were more light colored, actually, so were really hard to see unless lit from the side as my countertop has a natural speckling in it.  Ghost Ants. (I had to look them up, have not encountered them before.)  Cleaned all the surfaces like mad with disinfectant wipes. They came back again within a half-hour. They were then, with the help from my new best friends at the Ortho chemical company, dispatched and (knocking on wood) have not returned. And will not.  Thankfully I did notice the water before I put the teabag in the cup.

4) So, happy in the knowledge that I no longer had Ghost Ants in my kitchen (again, knocking on wood), I went in to take a shower. To find I had drain gnats. (OH FOR CHRISSAKES!). Boiling water and vinegar down the drain. To be repeated periodically over the next several days.  Vinegar and water in a spray bottle to try to catch those that are still flying. What the hell, gives me something else to do while "using the facilities".

5) I remember when we first moved here we had to put the A/C on 68F because anything other than that was just too warm. (We'd gotten used to Scottish temperatures).  It's set at 78F now, per the recommendation of National Grid, and seems a bit cool. I am not complaining. I am happy. I am SO happy that it's not 97% humidity or over 100F in here, thanks to the central air.  ;D

I live a very quiet life these days. That's not a bad thing, but it doesn't give much for a Friday Five report. 8)

« Last Edit: July 29, 2023, 04:12:22 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 957
« Reply #8799 on: July 28, 2023, 10:53:14 PM »

I live a very quiet life these days. That's not a bad thing, but it doesn't give much for a Friday Five report. 8)

This is me. Very quiet life, and still a bit shell-shocked from the ILR process.

We tried finding a place to move that would be more accessible, but given we have a cat and a set budget we were easily outbid. I'm still recovering from that trip, and since the rest we could afford are further away and just as likely to be outbid we are staying put until the mortgage rates settle. I'll just have to cope with crawling up/sliding down steps on the bad days. The state of accessible housing and private rentals is really not good, and most cities have no accessible house building targets. Councils have to give priority to disabled people for the accessible homes but even then it takes years, private landlords have no requirements to even consider it.

I've been crafting away for sanity. My brain can manage that, but it can't manage trying to run a business. So I have a growing collection of lovely things to sell whenever it can.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

« Reply #8800 on: July 29, 2023, 04:10:51 PM »
Sometimes that's all you can do - hunker down and wait for better times.  I hope it works out for you sooner rather than later.

I had planned to get a house here ASAP after we arrived, but put it off as the Daughter wasn't sure if she wanted to stay here or not. Of course, what I could afford then compared to what I can afford now (due to the doubling of interest rates on mortgages) and the supply (nobody wants to sell a house that has a 3% interest rate on it to buy another at 8%!), means I'll be renting for a while longer. And since I also want a home that is basically all on one level (stairs are already giving me some problems), that narrows down the options as homes here tend to be two storey with finished basements as well.

On the good side, at least some of the people who moved up here during the epidemic seem to have decided that, now that they can leave their houses, living in a more rural area is not to their taste and some houses that were only purchased a year or two ago are now back on the market. (I assume that's what's going on.)  I am still considering buying here, but I think I would like to go perhaps somewhere where the winters are not quite so brutal. The tradeoff will be that the summers will probably be hotter. I'm not sure it's worth that, but I'm doing preliminary research.  If I was writing this when the windchill was -41F outside again I'd probably say it was definitely an option. Going a bit east from NY might be a viable alternative, but then there's the property tax issue. Parts of NJ are also very nice, but the taxes there would gag a maggot!

So yes, sometimes one has to just sit and wait, and hopefully the right (or close to it) opportunity will come along. And hopefully one will recognize it when it does!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2023, 07:12:47 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #8801 on: July 31, 2023, 12:30:44 PM »

This is me. Very quiet life, and still a bit shell-shocked from the ILR process.

We tried finding a place to move that would be more accessible, but given we have a cat and a set budget we were easily outbid. I'm still recovering from that trip, and since the rest we could afford are further away and just as likely to be outbid we are staying put until the mortgage rates settle. I'll just have to cope with crawling up/sliding down steps on the bad days. The state of accessible housing and private rentals is really not good, and most cities have no accessible house building targets. Councils have to give priority to disabled people for the accessible homes but even then it takes years, private landlords have no requirements to even consider it.

I've been crafting away for sanity. My brain can manage that, but it can't manage trying to run a business. So I have a growing collection of lovely things to sell whenever it can.

Now that you have ILR, will you tackle the PIP application?  I know it is nearly always turned down the first pass, but there are organisations who will help you complete the application.  Hoping you have quick success with an application!

• Liked: 957
« Reply #8802 on: July 31, 2023, 03:13:50 PM »
Now that you have ILR, will you tackle the PIP application?  I know it is nearly always turned down the first pass, but there are organisations who will help you complete the application.  Hoping you have quick success with an application!
Yeah definitely. It's demeaning and stressful to complete so I needed some time to recover from the ILR saga, but hoping to do that next month. Thankfully one of my disabled friends has helped with many successful appeals and knows the process inside and out. It will help!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #8803 on: August 11, 2023, 10:42:20 AM »
Happy Friday!

Been a wee bit since I have written a Friday 5, so, here we go!

1.) Just had a couple of my sisters visiting for 2 weeks and that was great fun.   ;D

2.) Ramping up for the National Brass Band Championships (we won the Scottish Championship last March) - being held in September , so lots of rehearsals  [smiley=clover2.gif]

3.) Tomatoes galore in the greenhouse! Yay!  [smiley=daisy.gif]

4.) Need to bottle up my Czech Pilsner that is conditioning away  [smiley=chef.gif]

5.) Back to work with a bang!   [smiley=end.gif]
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 585
« Reply #8804 on: August 11, 2023, 04:32:39 PM »
1. Currently have 3 hounds in the house... my 2 and foster boy Pedro. Really hope they can find him a home soon, before i fall too deeply in love with him! 
2.  OH is out tonight seeing a band called Spunk Volcano!  i told him that under no circumstances should he visit the merch stall and come home with a Spunk Volcano t-shirt. :-X
3. A nano-brewery has recently opened in the next town, and they do a Friday evening beer run to my little town.  Meeting the guy at the collection point in a couple of hours to pick up a litre of NEIPA, a litre of West Coast IPA, and a litre of pineapple-coconut-vanilla milkshake beer.
4. Any of you watching any of the current 90 Day Fiancee madness on TV?
5.  chicken pakora for tea tonight, since i'm on my own.

Happy weekend, everyone!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab