Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Pain Relief in Labour - What was your poison?  (Read 3323 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Pain Relief in Labour - What was your poison?
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2004, 10:06:53 AM »
Hope this is not too late to be of use to you, Marlespo! :)

I planned for and experienced a non-medicated labor and delivery, for my son, Jackson.  I arrived at the birth center, at 3:30 a.m., 3 cm's dilated, and spent most of my labor in the very lovely, very deep, very sweet Jacuzzi they have there.  I think as a result of being relaxed and not having constant monitoring (like the hospitals do), and using position changes out of the tub, really helped my labor advance quickly, even though I was a first-timer. I went from 3 cm's to 10 in 3 hours.  I pushed for 57 minutes, and had my 8 lb, 21 inch baby boy, with a minimal 3-stitch tear.

And like you, I wanted to be able to experience the birth with all my senses intact, even though that meant enduring the pain.  Like someone else said, the pain was intense, and at times overwhelming, but I never got to the point where I even imagined asking for medication.  I just didn't need it.  

I know you'll hear a lot of horror stories out there, but honestly, there was nothing traumatic or terrible about my experience.  I felt wonderful afterwards, and have no regrets about my choice for no pain meds.  If I have another, I will definitely go med-free again, only this time I will probably just stay at home and have my baby there.

So, here's wishing you a happy, and easy, quick birth!   :D

>>>>>>>sending labor vibes to Marlespo!!!>>>>>>
Humans are not so much rational beings, as they are rationalizing.

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2004, 11:54:11 AM »
Thanks for that, CSA, :) And nope, you're not too late because I'm still massively pregnant! :D We're both still hoping for a med-free delivery, we've told our widwife about it and it's in my maternity notes package - so it's really nice to hear about other people who have done it and not regretted it. :)
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• So Long and Thanks for all the Fish!
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2004, 12:17:00 PM »
wow- just wanted to say- good for you rebecah!  sounds like a wonderful birth experience(I rememebr you too!-but havent you changed your username? trying to confuse us eh!)

thought it might be too late to post on this topic- but as so many expat mums are traveling this route right now- heres my 2 pence

and Marlespo- its not too late eh?

with my 1st- had 'the works' about as medically managed as you can get without actually having a c-section! all for a perfectly normal healthy pregnancy.

I got what the majority of US women who birth in hospital get - an epidural=what else??

I had planned my entire pregnancy for epidural pain relief- I was afraid of the pain- I was so frightened of pain that it didnt occur to me I should be more frightened of the side effects and resulting interventions caused by epidural!!

I was lucky that it didnt work very well and I was able to push my son out on my own- thanks to a huge episiotomy my OB was kind enough to give me!!

with my second I decided I didnt want to hand over control of my birth to the 'medical experts' unless there was actually a problem I needed them for- and this included pain relief.

I got a terrific book, Birthing from Within, by the american birth educator Pam England and read and re-read it throughout my pregnancy.  I took a class at the Active Birth centre in North London that was wonderful in the way it illustrated how we should trust in our bodies to birth- (they're designed so perfectly-really) and the class was great for practicing with my partner wonderful supportive laboring positions.  I walked everyday of my pregnancy.  I basically kind of 'trained' for it mentally and physically.  

and- I ended up with a wonderful labor and birth- iam lucky to say! I spend the majority of my labor walking through Alexandra Park in north London- pausing during contractions while the birds sang overhead!
I had a quiet peaceful homebirth with no medical pain relief- but plenty of natural hormonal relief- and so the memory is wonderful!  sure- it hurts- that would be an amazing lie to say it tickled or something- but its pain with a purpose and nothing like the horrible pain of stumping your toe and nothing to show for it but a torn toenail!!

of course its all down to choices- during my first preg if anyone had told me-you cannot have an epidural- go aunatural- I would have felt violated!!

the most important bit of advice Id give to any mom in labor- take it one contraction at a time and absolutely do not let anyone discourage you with telling you about your cervical dilation- that is not at all reliable in telling how far you have to go-whether its your 1st or 5th labor.  you CAN dilate from 3 to 10 in a matter of minutes(in the right environment)!  

positive labor vibes to all those closing in on DD!!
mary
Poo? .... Poo!!
Yes, Piglet?
Nothing.  I just wanted to be sure of you.

• You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2004, 01:59:01 PM »
If you think all this talk about labour is fun - wait until we get started on breast feeding!  [smiley=stunned.gif]
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2004, 04:36:52 PM »
I dilated from three cm to 9 1/2 in about 4 hours...and it took about 15-20 min to get to 10 after that.

So you're right, it can happen amazingly fast!  (OK, 4 hours might not be amazing to you...but it was to me!)

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2004, 11:41:04 AM »
My mom was 3cm dilated, and gave birth to me 45 minutes later.
:o

It's no wonder, with her birth stories, that I'm uber-conscious of every pain my body is having!!!
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• Now powermomof4!
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2004, 12:12:59 PM »
When I had Jed, it took me an hour and 1/2 to get to 5 cm. 30 minutes later I was breastfeeding him. Neither of my other labors went that fast. I think it was because I was basically jogging around the room during my labor with him!! DH thought I had lost my mind.  

IL/IA to Australia to Northern Ireland

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab