Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: The Magical List  (Read 1158 times)

• Liked: 0
The Magical List
« on: February 19, 2004, 12:23:55 AM »
Anyone willing to share their moving to-do list?
Not a list to make one cry, but a list of things to do for the move (guess I should have phrased it that way).  I'm getting in overwhelm, yet again, just trying to finally create an actual list so I'm not forgetting things, that will pop into my head in the middle of the night?!?
All the info on here is sooooooooo good.
Although I'm now spending too much time READING and not enough time PACKING!
I have so much to do, and all I want to do, is eat McDonald's and watch LOTR over and over and over and over...
Hollywood, CA -> London, UK 2004
London, UK -> Long Beach, CA 2007

Best 3 1/2 years of my life!

• tebs
  • AmericanTexBrit

• Portrait and Wedding Photographer
    • Murakami Photography
  • Liked: 2
Re: The Magical List
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2004, 01:47:38 AM »
ahh bless :lol,, when is moving day anyway?  

I was such a wreck when I moved over. I had to clear out my apartment, find new homes for my cat, furniture, etc. I was frantic. When I finally arrived, I slept for about a week. No kidding,, it was the stress of months of planning the move,, and the bonus of my health not being the greatest at the time.

Best thing I could tell you, is to imagine yourself set up in your new life, and surroundings,, and then make it happen :)

Will have to organize a London meet once you get moved in :)

• Life needs to be worked at.
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2004, 02:00:48 AM »
   Moving is simple, just pack the belongings that have memories, ditch the rest and forget all about it. ;) :)
G

• tebs
  • AmericanTexBrit

• Murakami Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2004, 02:12:38 AM »
No electrical crap,, don't even bother,, you can replace it all here :)

Ship the skimpy summer clothing, you wont' need it for a while.

If you like to  cook,, and use recipe books that don't use metric measurments, be sure to pack your favorite measureing cups, and spoons.

If it's practical, bring your favorite bed linens, quilts, etc, so you feel at home from the first night here :)  I even brought my favorite feather pillow that I had for years,, only to lose it to my hubby who fell in love with it too LOL.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 02:15:36 AM by tebs »

• Philadelphia, PA to York in 2000
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2004, 10:30:28 AM »
I even brought my favorite feather pillow that I had for years,, only to lose it to my hubby who fell in love with it too LOL.

OMG You too?!  :o I've tried buying him his own but none are as good as mine.  ;D Now we have lots of extra pillows and still fight over mine.   ;)

I agree with waterg though, bring what you can't live without and get rid of the rest.  Good luck! :)

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2004, 11:10:36 AM »
I've been here 1-1/2 years and I'm STILL moving.   :-/
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2004, 01:42:23 PM »
I've been here 1-1/2 years and I'm STILL moving.   :-/

LOL Peedal...me too!

My advice is be ruthless with your stuff.  You'll be amazed at how much you *don't* need.  

I left boxes all over the place at my mom's when I came over with the full intention of shipping it all over "eventually" when I had the money and was somewhat settled.  Three years later, I finally went back and threw all of it out 'cause it never made it over and clearly it wasn't as important to me as I thought.  None of it fit my life here anymore and it would have just taken up space and slowed my adjustment down considerably.

Keep reminding yourself that you aren't moving to the moon.  :)  You'll get it all done, one step at a time.

And if that doesn't work...just give in and have the Big Mac and watch LOTR!  What you don't get done probably isn't that important anyway.  

Once you get here, it will all seem like a blink of the eye.  Honest!  :)

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2004, 02:04:24 PM »
Noooooooo! Stay away from the Big Macs :o No kidding , We decided to move over last May, DH came first and I packed ALL our stuff. I gained 15lbs. in a matter of 4 months  :'( still fighting to loose the weight.
Always saddle your own horse

• You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2004, 02:09:37 PM »
I left boxes all over the place at my mom's when I came over with the full intention of shipping it all over "eventually" when I had the money and was somewhat settled.  Three years later, I finally went back and threw all of it out 'cause it never made it over and clearly it wasn't as important to me as I thought.  None of it fit my life here anymore and it would have just taken up space and slowed my adjustment down considerably.

That's the position I found myself in this past Nov/Dec.  It was amazing the stuff I'd left behind.  And I'm sure I'll be tossing even more stuff this weekend.

But what's harder for me was my kids' things.  Because I wanted them to feel that their new home is really theirs by filling it up with their stuff - but then I realised just how SPOILED ROTTEN they are and how much JUNK I (and my mother) have bought them over the years...  :o

Our biggest Achilles heel is books - we have TONNES of them.  And most of them are from my childhood.  No way can I get rid of them.  But we have no room for them, either.  I mean, I'm hoping my kids will pass these books on to their children, so donating them is not an option.

BTW - one of my favourite books growing up was called Jellybeans for Breakfast.  I looked it up on ebay yesterday and there are two copies going for $91 and $100!  So be careful what you *toss* away!  ;)  (Still have my copy of the book, and NOT selling it!)
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2004, 07:49:04 PM »
Tebs - March 1 - actually, Feb. 27.  March 1, I just get on a plane!
Ok - well, I'm getting to a point where I almost feel guilty that I've made money by having a yard sale, so I would actually be okay with donating the rest to a charity.
It's the clooooooooooothes.... I have loads... that I LOVE... and quite a few books... but I am going to make an inventory list of everything I'm storing (per mum and dad's request), so when the ship to me, we both know what's really in the box.
And I'm definitely holding onto my original edition of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, along with my Special Edition Alice In Wonderland with all the original illustrations!

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2004, 01:04:47 PM »
The MAIN thing on my list was just double checking with my banks and companies I did business with that my address had changed. I changed it to my parent's US address and that proved to be really helpful, rather than making them try to reach me in Wherever, England.
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2004, 01:10:43 PM »
I've been here 1-1/2 years and I'm STILL moving.    

I've been here 14 years and my Mom still brings stuff over in her suitcase when she comes to visit.  Which reminds me....I wanted to ask her to bring my high school year book.   :)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2004, 01:11:00 PM by 12yearsandcounting »

• tebs
  • AmericanTexBrit

• Murakami Photography
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2004, 03:17:31 PM »
I have been here almost 4 years, and STILL have stuff at my old house with my ex husband. who has been nice enough to let me keep stuff there. Well, he did take all my books and shoved them into hefty bags, which didn't go over well with me. I have collected books since my teens, and I do bring over a few every time I go back there. Shipping books is just impossible for me tho. Way too expensive.

If it's a matter of clothing Elizabeth, yes, be ruthless. Clothes are something you can replace anyway :)  

Lynne,, sometimes he lets me 'visit' my pillow LOL,, do you know, the other night, he tried to convince me that it has ALWAYS been his pillow?,, pah,, when I showed him the tag inside that had MY name on it,, he tried to laugh it off LOL. He's such a brat  :P

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2004, 06:12:40 PM »
I thought books were cheap to send through that bag-thing (m-bag, what'sit?) at the post office.
And yes, the clothes *sigh*  I got SO many FABULOUS clothes last year that I LOVE!
Hmmmm... well, I have my parents, and two friends, who are willing to hold onto stuff and ship it as I need it.  So I'll stop worrying and start packing.
:-X

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab