Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: For those that have attended NY appointments..  (Read 862 times)

• Liked: 0
For those that have attended NY appointments..
« on: March 17, 2007, 02:24:37 PM »
Hi All,

Ok, we have filed two applications on-line, for wife and step-daughter and taken the first available appointment, it being Mar 22nd, this coming thursday.

My simple question (for now) is this;

When we turn up at the consulate (having found somewhere to park!!) are all of us going to be able to get in to the appointment, or am I, the Brit sponsor, excluded since the applications are in the name of wife and child?

I hope not, since I have input I would like to be able to put across in person.

Have a great weekend, one and all.

Re: For those that have attended NY appointments..
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 02:37:33 PM »
When I went with my husband, (No children involved) He was allowed up, no questions asked.  This was in 2004 though, so things could have changed. (I doubt it though) ;D

• Liked: 6
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 04:39:00 PM »
I think since you are a Brisish citizen you would be allowed in, but I'm not sure.  My husband, an Irish citizen, wasn't allowed in with me.  However, there is a cafeteria in a building about half a block away from the consulate just in case you aren't allowed in.
The Guide For Working Families review http://londonelegance.com/transpondia/twfg/

• My blog!
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 10:40:54 AM »
Technically, only the applicants are allowed.  The consultants in the west often bend this rule.  NY could exclude the UK fiancĂ©/spouse if they wanted to.
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 10:52:15 AM »
My British fiance had no problems getting in to attend my visa appointment in NYC with me - he just showed his UK passport and was waved in with no problems.  This was in August 2006....

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 07:40:46 PM »
Many thanks to those that have responded.

We will just have to wait and see I guess, I really hope I can attend, I think it will be much easier on my wife and daughter, not to mention me chewing fingers off, never mind fingernails if I have to wait outside!!

M.

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 02:53:44 PM »
I'm bumping this up because I have a few questions about the appointments in NYC. I think this is my first post in the Visa Board...YIKES!  I've spent the last three days reading loads of threads and have found a wealth of info. - THANKS!

When you fill out the on-line application, I noticed it said they would notify you via email.  Notify you of what?  Whether your application has been accepted for review?  Do they give you an appointment time / date? 
Do you have a choice of dates?

The reason I ask is because I travel for work and I want to apply for the visa as soon as we get all the paperwork in order, but I worry that the date of the appointment may be while I'm traveling.  In addition, bf would like to be here for the interview.  How quickly can you get an appointment after you fill out the application?

Last ? for now - Letter from my BF's employer...Who does this need to be written from?  HR?
THANKS!!!

• Liked: 6
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 03:04:02 PM »
When i filled in the online app, I then got an email giving me a link to go to set up the appointment to go in person.  You can choose the date/time, but depending on how busy they are the date/time you want might not be open.  I did the online app around the 23 or 24 of February and got an appointment March 2. 

Not sure about the employer letter; the HR person wrote my husband's and they accepted it so I guess that's ok lol.
The Guide For Working Families review http://londonelegance.com/transpondia/twfg/

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2007, 01:43:26 PM »
Exactly as YankeeAngel said, a link to the appointment site, having declared I wanted one, and then as simple as entering your receipt number from the application, then picking a time and day.

I had a generic 'we will employ you in the UK when you know a date' style letter, from the UK end of my US company.

Best wishes with this.

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2007, 01:45:44 PM »
When my husband applied last year, I (British) had no trouble getting in with him.  You aren't taken into a seperate room, you just stand in line and go up to a window to discuss your application when it's your turn.  Not much different from going to a bank really.

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2007, 06:12:32 PM »
Thanks for the insight!

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2007, 06:16:03 PM »
hey mekaw, just wanted to say I'm really excited for you!  I know you've been waiting a long time to get over to the UK :)
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2007, 06:38:01 PM »
Thanks Andrea - but I'm on hold AGAIN! ::)
I was planning to post when I'm a little more clear on what I'm doing.

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2007, 06:42:04 PM »
Thanks Andrea - but I'm on hold AGAIN! ::)
I was planning to post when I'm a little more clear on what I'm doing.

Oh no- sorry about that!  I have hope that it will all come through for you soon!
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2007, 12:35:50 PM »
Are you better off going in person or doing everything by mail? I just received word that my employer's work permit for me was approved  ;D  so once I get the permit in my hands I figured I'd apply online for the visa. Do I have this wrong?

so confused...

Sponsored Links