Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: fiance visa "evidence of accommodation" ?  (Read 859 times)

• Liked: 0
fiance visa "evidence of accommodation" ?
« on: March 22, 2007, 06:19:13 PM »
Hello!

I'm new to the site, and am so thankful to have found this helpful resource.  Woo! 

I'm American and my fiance is English, and we'll be applying in person at the NY consulate for my fiance visa when he's over here in a few months.  I've been wondering: can anyone shed some light on what papers we'll need to produce to provide "evidence of accommodation"?

Here's our situation:  He lives in a shared house now, and will be there until we marry in October.  I'll be going over in September (with my fiance visa, fingers crossed) and we were then going to look for a flat of our own together.  Before we find a place, I'll just be crashing at his shared house.  In your experience, do you think that his lease (proving he's got a place to live) in addition to our bank statements (proving we have money to pay deposit and rent when we find a place) will be sufficient?  We were also going to have his parents write a letter to say if worst comes to worst we'll be able to live with them in their house instead of on the street.  Can you think of anything else that could help?  I've copied and pasted the ambiguously worded consulate prose below.  Any tips or opinions are MUCH appreciated!

Thanks a billion.

[must provide proof that]...
"After the marriage there will be adequate accommodation for the parties and any dependents without recourse to public funds in accommodation which they own or occupy exclusively"

Evidence Of Accommodation
This may come in various forms:
a) Lease or tenancy agreement for private rented property
b) Tenancy agreement with the local authority housing department
c) Mortgage papers for privately owned property
d) Title deeds (OR letter from the organization holding the deeds).

If you plan to stay temporarily with relatives or friends we require a letter from them giving their consent to this arrangement. In addition evidence in the form of (a), (b), (c) or (d) that they have suitable temporary accommodation available for you and your dependants.
NOTE: Under the Rules you must demonstrate that you have the intention and ability to acquire adequate accommodation of your own or which you occupy yourselves (i.e. a separate unit of accommodation. One room in a shared property may not be acceptable other than on a strictly temporary basis).

Re: fiance visa "evidence of accommodation" ?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 06:22:15 PM »
If you're staying with him in a shared house, you need a letter from the landlord saying that they're aware that you'll be staying there and that you're allowed to live there.  You'll also need to provide a copy of your fiance's lease as well.

eta: Given that your fiance is moving out so soon after you arrive, including a letter from his parents (accompanied by their mortgage papers) probably wouldn't be a bad idea either (just my layperson opinion, I'm not an expert.)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 06:24:24 PM by Andrea. »
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 06:59:15 PM »
We were in the same situation -
We had a copy of the lease, a signed letter from the mortgage holder saying he knew I would be staying there temporarily, a copy of his mortgage to prove he was who he said he was, a signed letter from everyone else listed on the lease saying they knew I would be staying there and it was ok, and a letter from his dad saying that worst case scenario we could stay with him (and a copy of his mortgage to prove he had the right to offer that).

I might have overdone it but everything was easy enough to get and I've always been "better safe than sorry"  :) 

There are some other threads on this exact topic though if you want more reassurance
And I'm thinkin' if you were mine,
I'd never let you go,
And that would be just beautiful I know
Beautiful to take a chance,
And if you fall, you fall
And I'm thinkin'
I wouldn't mind at all . . . (Billie Holiday)

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 02:03:20 PM »
I just asked this question and got some great answers.  Basically, it's a non-issue, until you're married and applying for FLR, and even then, as long as you can prove you're not packing twelve to a room and the other people in the flat know you will be living there, no probs.

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=32060.0

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 11:08:19 AM »
It worked for me... we got a letter from the people saying we were living there until our flat was finished being built and then a copy of their mortgage!

best of luck to you!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab