Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: British ILR moving to the Republic of Ireland.  (Read 1170 times)

• Liked: 0
British ILR moving to the Republic of Ireland.
« on: April 23, 2007, 10:36:31 AM »
I am a US citizen... If I have a British ILR. Would I be able to move to the Republic of Ireland under any European rules? Or would I have to start from scratch (visa wise)?

Re: British ILR moving to the Republic of Ireland.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 10:57:10 AM »
If you have ILR for the UK, you could just naturalise and the move to Ireland with no restrictions. That would be your best option.

It also depends on if you are married to an EU / EEA citizen, because you could move as an EEA / EU dependent.

But if you have ILR, it may be in your interests in the long term to shell out the money to naturalise, then you don't have to worry about all of that.

I don't think UK ILR gives you the automatic right to live in RoI, as UK and RoI are seperate countries, but you could move to Northerm Ireland. JMO.  :)

Best of luck.....

• Liked: 6
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 11:05:45 AM »
I don't think having ILR makes a difference. Your best option would be to wait and obtain British citizenship and you can move there with no restrictions.  If you are married to a British/EU citizen, you could move there based on being their spouse.  However, the Irish have been taking well in excess of 6 months to process these applications and are keeping the passports.  If you were to manage to get your passport back, they are not giving multiple entry stamps while they application in under consideration, so you would essentially be stuck there until it is processed. 

You could also try for a work permit.  But, unless you hold EU citizenship, you would have to start over, visa-wise.
The Guide For Working Families review http://londonelegance.com/transpondia/twfg/

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 11:14:10 AM »
Thank You all for your help....

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 11:26:23 AM »
agree with all of the above.  UK ILR holds no weight in the Republic...if you want to move with a minimum of hassle, you'll need to naturalise.  Otherwise you should start looking at Irish work permit/green card schemes to see if you qualify...

If you're married to an EEA citizen, you can also move over as an EEA dependent.

Don't forget that you will lose your ILR if you leave the UK for more than two years.
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

• An eagle swooped down from a semi-trailer
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 01:01:45 PM »
However you can move to Northern Ireland with no problem.

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 01:24:01 PM »
Living in the North with a ILR, ok ... But,  I would still not be able to work in the Republic.
I really think the easiest way would be to just get naturalized....

Thank You all for your responses...

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab