Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: I need to hear good things about the UK  (Read 159509 times)

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
Re: I need to hear good things about the UK
« Reply #285 on: March 14, 2012, 06:06:00 PM »
In Staffordshire. We usually go to the cinema in Stafford or Walsall. In Stafford, it's about 5 pounds per ticket. And I believe they have some nights with reduced rates too!

I agree. Standard adult ticket prices here are £4 ($6.25), but you can go on special nights for far less! And I just checked the tickets prices at the cinema I used to go to in the US - $10.25!
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Liked: 2
« Reply #286 on: March 14, 2012, 06:52:34 PM »
I agree. Standard adult ticket prices here are £4 ($6.25), but you can go on special nights for far less! And I just checked the tickets prices at the cinema I used to go to in the US - $10.25!

I would have been at the cinema everyday if it was £4!! Tickets for myself and the husband to go out to see a film were around £17 during the day and £20 at night in Edinburgh. We only went occasionally on Orange Wednesdays. I probably saw only 2 films per year over the four years I was there.

I just moved to St. John's, Newfoundland in Canada last week, and I went to a film yesterday for $5 (£3.20)! That was a standard adult ticket, same price all-day and on weekends. I noticed everyone in the cinema had popcorn and sodas, so maybe they can price it low, because food and drinks are so popular. Now for everything else, I feel like I'm paying and arm and a leg. Prices seem so high. I keep converting from dollars to pounds to figure out if it's outrageous, and it seems to be a bit higher than what it would be in pounds. And an off topic complaint - they have no coriander and chillies at the grocery store! I have to keep reminding myself that I'm on a completely different type of island now - it may be the size of England, but it has 0.9% the population, so many of the conveniences of home are missing.

• Liked: 3597
« Reply #287 on: March 14, 2012, 06:58:48 PM »

Good point - there is one cinema in Bristol that is cheaper: about £5 a ticket, but it's an old one with only 3 screens and no surround sound and it can be quite hard to hear the film dialogue there.

As a result I tend to only go there to watch films that I'm not desperate to see... otherwise I usually end up going to the local Vue or Showcase (£7-10 a ticket) for a better cinema experience.

• Liked: 12
« Reply #288 on: March 15, 2012, 11:54:50 AM »
I've never understood where this idea comes from... My husband thinks exactly the

I wonder if visitors/new-expats are often fooled by the use of "pet names" (lass, duck, dear, love) or the softer accent into thinking that British people are super polite?

Or ... maybe it's a holdover from the days when the British actually used to politely queue at bus stops and whatnot?
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

• Liked: 0
« Reply #289 on: March 15, 2012, 07:40:01 PM »
Mostly Free health care! :)

« Reply #290 on: July 31, 2012, 10:47:13 PM »
this thread has helped sooooo much!! Im excited to be moving there in a few weeks but im scared shitless at the same time  :o this has helped me with the reasons of why i love it there so much, I visited Scotland for christmas in 2011 and i loved these things

Transportation, i love that they are reliable and you can use several things to get around whether its the bus, train, or taxi i love it!!!!

Shops just in walking distance from where you live

food! holy crap the food is awesome, especially chocolate which melts in your mouth *drools*

When you press the button at a cross walk in a few seconds it stops the cars and they actually stop! that never happens in the US!

The weather. i love rainy days and the fact that when the sun comes out over there but not for long is just my kind of weather.

It never goes over 80 degrees

In my opinion they actually have fairly warmer winters compared to ours, there was only a few times while i was there that it was cold enough for me to wear gloves, sometimes i had to unzip my jacket cause it was too warm for me to keep it closed

More tv show and less commercials which is awesome!!!! American tv shows especially Glee is a good thing :D

everything is so green even when theres snow on the ground

Edinburgh. need i say more? lol

The old looking buildings and knowing there are so much history behind them

They are more open about same sex couples and you can walk around hand in hand with your partner and get varies smiles and "hello's" as you walk by people

Costa. The hot chocolate is to die for!!

KFC. They serve other food besides chicken!!

• Liked: 2
« Reply #291 on: August 01, 2012, 02:10:56 PM »
Caitlin,

It's so fantastic to hear that you're finally going to be moving after such a long struggle. I've seen your posts over the past few months, so I just wanted to say congrats!

Are you moving to Scotland? I'm jealous. My husband was transferred to Canada earlier this year and I miss Scotland. A LOT. I'm counting the days until our three years here are up and we can move somewhere else.

If you're going to be in Edinburgh, you'll definitely have FAR warmer winters than Connecticut. There's hardly any snow (maybe a few inches the entire winter) and the temperature rarely goes below around 40F in the winter. I grew up in the Midwest and it's like summer during winter in Scotland compared to the winters I grew up with. I think you'll love it if you don't like hot weather.

As for the food... it's fantastic.

Congrats, again, and best of luck with your move.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 02:12:36 PM by Edinburgh83 »

« Reply #292 on: August 01, 2012, 05:00:26 PM »
Caitlin,

It's so fantastic to hear that you're finally going to be moving after such a long struggle. I've seen your posts over the past few months, so I just wanted to say congrats!

Are you moving to Scotland? I'm jealous. My husband was transferred to Canada earlier this year and I miss Scotland. A LOT. I'm counting the days until our three years here are up and we can move somewhere else.

If you're going to be in Edinburgh, you'll definitely have FAR warmer winters than Connecticut. There's hardly any snow (maybe a few inches the entire winter) and the temperature rarely goes below around 40F in the winter. I grew up in the Midwest and it's like summer during winter in Scotland compared to the winters I grew up with. I think you'll love it if you don't like hot weather.

As for the food... it's fantastic.

Congrats, again, and best of luck with your move.

thanks :D yep moving to Scotland! yeah we plan to eventually either in the city or another town thats close by it

• Liked: 585
Re: Re: Re: I need to hear good things about the UK
« Reply #293 on: August 01, 2012, 05:18:51 PM »

KFC. They serve other food besides chicken!!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Do they??

« Reply #294 on: August 01, 2012, 05:57:41 PM »
Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Do they??

yeah, least the one we went to did. they had burgers, fries pizza and chicken

• Liked: 3597
« Reply #295 on: August 01, 2012, 06:19:41 PM »
yeah, least the one we went to did. they had burgers, fries pizza and chicken

Really? I've only seen chicken and fries in KFC before.... well, okay, they have chicken burgers (my favourite is the Zinger Burger), but no other types of meat.

I've never seen pizza in a KFC before though :P.

• Liked: 585
« Reply #296 on: August 01, 2012, 06:31:19 PM »
Really? I've only seen chicken and fries in KFC before.... well, okay, they have chicken burgers (my favourite is the Zinger Burger), but no other types of meat.

Same.  Every KFC I've ever been to is chicken, chicken burger or chicken salad.

• Liked: 387
« Reply #297 on: August 01, 2012, 08:45:06 PM »
DH and I have been peckish for dinner, and we saw a KFC advert on telly.  OMG, we're totally in the mood for crispy chicken of some sort, and now this thread has popped up on my unread threads list.  It's a sign, for sure!!!   ;D

« Reply #298 on: August 01, 2012, 10:06:03 PM »

they had it in this one, maybe that was a limited time offer thing. i swear i saw pizza while i was in that place hmmm

• Liked: 1
« Reply #299 on: September 24, 2012, 09:08:37 AM »
I've been here since 1998, had three children here and am married to an English man so I would miss England a lot if we moved elsewhere. I would miss many of the same things that other people have already said, like the flowers and roses, the fresh air, the tolerant society and the multi-cultural aspect of Britain. I also feel more worldly here and love the mix of nationalities and the close proximity to Europe.
Other things I'd miss:
British TV - fewer adverts and more interesting and off-the-wall adverts (some are hilarious!)
The NHS and free meds for children
The language and use of words and phrases (You are a love / Cheerio / Righto / Jolly good / well done! )
The schools my children are in
The walking culture
The corner shops
The solidarity amongst working mothers (although this might be a regional thing)
The accents!

There are probably lots more that I would only think of after I've moved away. It's the little things that make up every day life here in England. It really is a great place to live and bring up children.

Sponsored Links