Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: ANTM Cycle 7  (Read 2409 times)

• An eagle swooped down from a semi-trailer
  • Liked: 0
ANTM Cycle 7
« on: April 24, 2007, 12:45:44 PM »
So it ended last night. What do y'all think?  8)

Re: ANTM Cycle 7
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 12:51:53 PM »
I cheated and looked it up awhile ago... haven't seen last night's show yet though.
From what I observed, I think was a good choice.
Hollywood, CA -> London, UK 2004
London, UK -> Long Beach, CA 2007

Best 3 1/2 years of my life!

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 01:00:16 PM »
I had downloaded them so I saw the final of season 7 a while ago but I was very pleased. She was one of my favorites to win.

I've stopped watching it half way through season 8 though. I'm just tired of the hypocrissy - they allow plus sized models but not petite (short) models. You must be at least 5'7" to enter. As someone who is 5ft, I find this extremely offensive. If the industry is willing to embrace plus sized models, why are short women being discriminated against? If there was a weight restriction, fans and the media would be up in arms. But to have a height restriction is perfectly acceptable?

It just started bothering me more and more until I couldn't watch it without being bitter.
- Pennsylvania girl in Manchester

Unofficially moved to England July 2005 (visa waiver)
Married in PA on August 25th, 2006
Officially moved to England September 2006 (Spousal Visa)

• Dar
  • Geek of the medieval persuasion

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 02:12:51 PM »
I had downloaded them so I saw the final of season 7 a while ago but I was very pleased. She was one of my favorites to win.

I've stopped watching it half way through season 8 though. I'm just tired of the hypocrissy - they allow plus sized models but not petite (short) models. You must be at least 5'7" to enter. As someone who is 5ft, I find this extremely offensive. If the industry is willing to embrace plus sized models, why are short women being discriminated against? If there was a weight restriction, fans and the media would be up in arms. But to have a height restriction is perfectly acceptable?

It just started bothering me more and more until I couldn't watch it without being bitter.

Yup, 5'2" here!  But, I have to point out that the plus sized models never get very far.  The judges always say, "She just doesn't have that "it" thing.  She doesn't know her body, blah blah blah."  Basically, she's too heavy, NEXT!  And one thing that makes me angry is one of the "plus sized models" was a size 8 (cycle 8, I think).  Since when is a size 8 plus-sized???  What it comes down to is this: the show is not trying to break barriers or create waves.  They have clients that want models and the clients want models who are 5'7" or taller and wear a size 2.  That is what the industry wants.  So, I am not so sure it really is discrimination as much as it is the way the industry is structured as has been for a very very long time.  The fashion industry's job is to create a pretty illusion.  Your average everyday woman does not look like a model.  What is strange to me, is my DF finds models too damn skinny and gangly.  He said he prefers women like me.  I am petite and curvy (got some weight to lose because of my thyroid, but once that is fixed, I am size 4-6) and thinks that is extremely sexy.  So, petite women unite!  Ha ha!

Okay, rant over.....
I am the architect of my destiny.

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 03:43:06 PM »
Yeah but at least they make it on the show. And I caught part of the Tyra Banks show where they interviewed one of plus sized girls from the show who is now the spokesperson for something-or-other. So it does get them exposure/contacts to start a very good career. Petite models are not even offered that.
- Pennsylvania girl in Manchester

Unofficially moved to England July 2005 (visa waiver)
Married in PA on August 25th, 2006
Officially moved to England September 2006 (Spousal Visa)

• Dar

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 03:47:42 PM »
Yeah but at least they make it on the show. And I caught part of the Tyra Banks show where they interviewed one of plus sized girls from the show who is now the spokesperson for something-or-other. So it does get them exposure/contacts to start a very good career. Petite models are not even offered that.

Yes, that is true.  Petite models don't actually exist, I don't think.  Most of the catalogs for petite stores are modeled by regular models...

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 04:13:14 PM »
Are you kidding?? There's a huge market out there for petite-sized models! No, they probably won't make it in the accepted 'normal' modeling world but, as Sadb pointed out, neither will the plus-sized models. But don't think there's not a market for petite models! It's just a separate niche, that's all.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Dar

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 04:18:27 PM »
Are you kidding?? There's a huge market out there for petite-sized models! No, they probably won't make it in the accepted 'normal' modeling world but, as Sadb pointed out, neither will the plus-sized models. But don't think there's not a market for petite models! It's just a separate niche, that's all.

Good to know!  ;D

• Snaps
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 04:24:46 PM »
Good to know!  ;D

Are you considering a change of career?  ;D

• Dar

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 04:29:32 PM »
Are you considering a change of career?  ;D

Oh dear god no!  I love photography (which is why I love this show--great creativity on the shoots) but prefer to be behind the camera.  I am one of those people who photographs terribly.  People see pictures of me and go, that can't possibly be you!  I think I want to get my fragile self-esteem in tact!  ;D :P

• An eagle swooped down from a semi-trailer
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 04:32:08 PM »
Well, I was rooting for Melrose - I don't know what the judges use to make the final cut - it makes no sense sometimes. (I thought Joanie and Kahleen were terrific, too, and they lost to others that had me scratching my head). I thought Melrose was portrayed in an unfair light - the other girls were just as bad if not worse in some respects. Her photos were good, she did well at the challenges, she kicked butt in the final runway competition (seriously, Caridee was awful), she knew the industry, but...Nigel didn't like her. So the other girl gets in.

And the thing with the dress getting torn, if Caridee hadn't won, they would have been all over the girl for tripping and tearing a designer's dress, but instead they spun it so Melrose getting upset at the dress being torn was the problem. Anyone see the Janice Dickinson Modelling Agency episode where she jumped into a fountain in a one-of-a-kind designer dress on loan to her and the designers were furious with her? And that was Janice Dickinson! Yet Melrose is the bad guy for being upset at Caridee ripping the gown? I don't understand it - well, I do, it's cause Caridee won and the editing spun it like that but I don't understand why she won!

• Snaps
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 05:10:15 PM »
I accidentally read who won Cycle 7 before it even started airing in the UK.  >:(

So no surprises here. I kind of think I would have guessed the winner, though. But it's hard to tell since I did already know.

Now I'm determined not to find out who wins Cycle 8.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2007, 08:38:25 PM »
I was always a Caridee fan not so much a Melrose fan though but thats just my opinion.

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2007, 08:52:34 PM »
I think I gave up watching ANTM when I saw an episode where Miss J weighs everyone and tells a girl who is 5'7" and 122lbs that she needs to lose weight.

Um... excuse me?

When I was in high school, I was 5'7" and 116lbs and a woman down the street came to my house to ask me if I was anorexic (she wanted to help me or something). I was so thin due to metabolism (ate more than some of my male friends, hallow leg syndrome) and was happy when I finally got up to 130 recently!

I felt horrible for that girl because after that, she started thinking she was fat. It's awful, and disgusting when they show episodes where someone suspects someone else may be anorexic/bulemic and then the show makes a big deal about how bad that is. Well what the heck?! Calling a 124 pound girl fat is okay but when she becomes anorexic because losing weight is an unrealistic, unhealthy goal, why even bother telling her she's doing a bad thing? You're just encouraging her!

/rant

I liked Caridee, she was goofy and klutzy like me!

• Dar

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2007, 09:03:07 PM »
I think I gave up watching ANTM when I saw an episode where Miss J weighs everyone and tells a girl who is 5'7" and 122lbs that she needs to lose weight.

Okay, I am 5'2" and my doctor freaked when I weighed 120!  He said I should at least be 130 due to my bone structure (and I am not big by any stretch of the imagination).  And he was right, you could see all my ribs and stuff, it was gross.  I didn't see the episode you are referring too, but, it doesn't surprise me!  Now, if I could get back down to my 130, I would be beyond thrilled!  ;D

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab