Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: PGCE?  (Read 1371 times)

• Hi there.
  • Liked: 0
PGCE?
« on: March 01, 2004, 12:18:15 AM »
I read on one message somewhere in this forum that a woman got a letter from her lawyer, stating that she is entitled to the same rights as her spouse, an EU national. So she didn't have to pay overseas tuition.

I have just graduated from a uni in the states, with a BA in History and I want to teach. It's pretty much the only job I've ever considered doing, and I knew that getting a teaching degree in the states would be useless here anyways, since I want to teach history, so I just got my degree in history.

So I guess my question is, do I really have to pay a full £8,000 even though I will be classified as a resident? And if so, are there any loan companies here that would actually give me the money? Or am I supposed to come up with that money out of nowhere? And could I get a letter like that woman, from a lawyer?

I would be absolutely miserable if I had to wait 3 full years!!! Any advice?

Thanks!!!

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
Re: PGCE?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2004, 04:10:56 PM »
That was belfastgirl and things are different for her because her husband is an EU national and the EU rules are different.  The spouse of a British citizen does not automatically get citizenship rights, and unfortunately that also means that, even though you are *resident* in the country, you are not a citizen until you apply after the requisite time.

Which means you'll be paying more for your college education, I'm afraid.  :-/
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• my name is jonas
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2004, 06:40:32 PM »
I am going through something very similar myself.

I already have a fair amount of student loan debt, but I will be contacting Sallie Mae and other such companies and trying to get a Stafford loan.

I really don't know what I am doing, though, and it is more than a little bit nervewracking.  Good luck to you and please advise if you have any luck!
had a bit of a wobble.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2004, 01:41:48 AM »
Yeah unfortunately even if you are a Brit that has lived out of country for more than 3 years you don't qualify for home tuition. :-/

The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Hiya
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2004, 07:41:52 PM »

I have just graduated from a uni in the states, with a BA in History and I want to teach. It's pretty much the only job I've ever considered doing, and I knew that getting a teaching degree in the states would be useless here anyways, since I want to teach history, so I just got my degree in history.

Not exactly right...it is true that it's a bit harder to get a teaching placement in the UK with US qualifications, and that you'll have to jump through some more paperwork hoops, etc., but an American teaching certificate is not useless in the UK.  I'm not sure when you're planning on moving over, but some US schools over a post-graduate certification program that finishes in about a year's time...might be worth a look.  I'm crossing my fingers that I get a teaching placement fairly shortly after my big move. ;D  You can check with the General Teaching Council as well for more info.

"I shall love you until death do us part and then we shall be together for ever and ever." Dylan Thomas

"I am still learning."  Michelangelo

Sponsored Links