Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Seen any good movies lately?  (Read 630 times)

• myspace
  • Liked: 0
Seen any good movies lately?
« on: May 10, 2007, 12:57:28 PM »
Everyone here seems to be talking about the telly, which isn't my thing - but I do love a good movie and I'm always open to suggestions. Seen anything good at the theater or rented any good DVDs lately?

We went to see "This is England" last night, and it was really, really good. Set in 1983, it's about a 12 year old boy who recently lost his dad in the Falkland's war and who constantly gets picked on at school. He falls in with a group of skinheads-not the racist kind, but the kind that just digs the clothes and the ska music (one of the skinheads is a Jamaican guy), and everything's great until an older skinhead comes home from prison and splits up the happy group with his National Front, racist ideology. It's really intense - The climactic scene had me so nervous I could hardly stand it - but it's also completely heartbreaking and completely hilarious. The pint-sized lead character's sweet romantic relationship with a cute but rather dim teenage punker four years his senior and seemingly twice his height  had me laughing out loud more than once. Absolutely beautifully shot, too, and the soundtrack was amazing. I'm going to try to recreate it on Itunes later. One of the best films I've seen in a long time, and as an American transplant, it was interesting to see how different bleak, high-unemployment, Maggie Thatcher 1980's England was to today's bright, economically healthy Tony Blair version.

Sponsored Links