Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Need to see a Doctor  (Read 1472 times)

• My Girl
  • Liked: 0
Need to see a Doctor
« on: March 01, 2004, 05:20:01 PM »
Hello all,

Glanced at the posts but couldn't seem to find an answer to what I hope is a simple question.

I think I have a sinus infection.  Since I am only here on a temporary work permit (6 months for now), can I get the NHS to cover the visit, or must I go private?  If I have to go private, what would it cost (approx)?

Someone here suggested I just do a walk in at the area hospital (Coventry/Warwickshire), but supposedly I would still need to pay if they decided I needed to see a doctor for antibiotics.

Also, I am still on my US insurance plan (Aetna), which covers me at 50% (after a $600 deductible) for out-of-network service.  I think it's safe to say that I am out of network!

Please help! My head hurts!
"He (Bush) says we are at war on terror, but that is a metaphor, though I doubt if he knows what that means. It's like having a war on dandruff, it's endless and pointless." - Gore Vidal

• Liked: 2
Re: Need to see a Doctor
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2004, 05:50:26 PM »
Hi Ed

I think technically there is some rule that you have to have been here minimum 6 months before you are entitled to NHS treatment. However all is not lost. A year ago my husband who was then here just on holiday had his wisdom tooth extracted on the NHS, no questions asked. If you have proof of a UK address you are probably OK.  It really depends how nice the doctor's receptionist is. I would just ring up and say you're new to the area and need to see a doctor, you will probably find they just give you an appointment. When you get there you will be asked to fill in a form with various details, just fill it in. If it asks for your NHS number just say you have no idea. No-one I know has any idea of their NHS number.

If you do end up going privtae costs can vary. I have only been to a private GP once and it cost £40 for the initial consultation but I was quoted £70 by others. That was about 3 years ago.

Whether you go NHS or private you still have to pay for prescriptions but they don't cost much.

Yes you can go to your local hospital where you will be seen but be prepared to wait all day unless you look as if you're dying.

Good luck and hope you feel better soon!

Liz

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
Re: Need to see a Doctor
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2004, 06:57:09 PM »
You don't need to go private, the NHS will take care of you since you are residing in the country. They don't care what kind of visa you are on. I got NHS treatment while I was living here on just my passport and no kind of settlement visa at all, and there's no waiting time or grace period before NHS health care is available to you. :) They shouldn't be able to give you hell as long as you've got an address in England and really live there. :) I'd call your local surgery (local GP), say you need to see someone and aren't registered with a specific doctor, and if they are helpful (which is sort of dubious) they'll just sign you up with a GP and make an appointment for you. Tell them you've got a sinus infection though, so they know you actually need help rather than just needing to register. You'll then get an NHS card in the mail since you're "registering" by doing all of the above. Easy Peasy. :)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2004, 06:57:52 PM by Marlespo »
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab