Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: BBC Expose' of Scientology - Monday 14 May  (Read 5145 times)

• Banned

• Damn it, Spock, breathe!
  • Liked: 0
Re: BBC Expose' of Scientology - Monday 14 May
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2007, 11:00:16 PM »
Scientology--what a crock of sh-t (sorry to any Scientologists out there, but get your head reexamined).

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2007, 11:17:11 PM »
Well, like any religion, even Scientology has what appear to be perfectly well-adjusted, fully functioning, intelligent, kind members.
I don't fully understand how it came to be so celebrity-associated, but when you compare it to other 'cult' type religions, their 'belief' system is comparatively 'less weird' than several others (Raelians, anyone?).
Hollywood, CA -> London, UK 2004
London, UK -> Long Beach, CA 2007

Best 3 1/2 years of my life!

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2007, 09:03:25 AM »
but when you compare it to other 'cult' type religions, their 'belief' system is comparatively 'less weird' than several others

And to some of us, Christianity, Judaism, Islam, etc. all seem pretty weird too!  ??? ;)

What makes a religion a cult? Where is the line drawn?
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2007, 09:21:05 AM »
Scientology--what a crock of sh-t (sorry to any Scientologists out there, but get your head reexamined).

I'm gonna have to agree with you on this!!

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2007, 09:26:08 AM »
What makes a religion a cult? Where is the line drawn?

I believe the only distinction is the number of worshipers  ;)

100 members = cult
100,000 members = religion

• An eagle swooped down from a semi-trailer
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2007, 09:46:16 AM »
LOL - those clips were funny! The Scientology dude looked like a cross between Tom Cruise and the Men in Black except a lot more wimpy, what a priss, lol.

And the John Sweeney losing it one was just odd, because it was so out of context, you could see him speaking somewhat normally between the shouting so obviously he was making some sort of (loud) point, and not "losing" it as claimed. But funny nevertheless.

What an odd, odd, world.

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2007, 11:11:59 AM »

100 members = cult
100,000 members = religion

Mmmmm... methinks Scientology, along with a few others, have well over 100,000 members.

I think it would have more to do with the demands that are made, in regards to family and money... and to what extent.  The article was interesting in labelling Scientology a PAYG religion; which indeed it is.

It's too bad the lawyers demanded certain clips of celebrities speaking 'sanely' about it be deleted... and that he lost his composure so badly.
Hollywood, CA -> London, UK 2004
London, UK -> Long Beach, CA 2007

Best 3 1/2 years of my life!

• Banned

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2007, 11:47:40 AM »
Scientology strikes me as yesterday's Kabbalah.

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2007, 12:44:14 PM »

;D
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2007, 05:55:39 PM »
I saw an article on the BBC website about this show over the weekend. It's interesting, to say the least.

As for what makes something a "cult," usually society labels groups of people who follow beliefs that society views as abnormal as a cult. Typically cults draw members from people who are vulnerable somehow, and attempt to take them completely out of their home life (ie away from any friends and family), and enforce sometimes extreme forms of control over them. Take Heaven's Gate, for example. The leader convinced every single member to dress a certain way, eat certain foods, and even drink kool-aid laced with poison, all through manipulative means. The same goes for "People's Temple" from the 70's where the leader managed to have all of his members move to a remote area in a foreign country, build him a town, and all live exactly as he told them they could. He also commanded women to sleep with him, told them who they could or had to sleep with, and also had all of them commit suicide in the end. Cults aren't just about sheer numbers, but more about brainwashing, control over members by the "leader," and the separation of the members from their original lives and everything in them.

In these terms, Scientology could very well be labeled "cult-like" or even just plain called a "cult."

• Going somewhere doesn't take you anyplace else.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2007, 05:57:53 PM »
Thanks for bumping this thread. I almost forgot to turn on my recorder!!  :)
The only meaning anything has is the meaning you give to it.       ~Author Unknown

2006 Work Permit -> 2011 ILR -> 2012 Dual Citizen

• Banned

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2007, 09:07:19 PM »
What did everyone think of the "Panorama" show on Scientology? I can understand why the reporter lost it; the Scientology guy wouldn't let him get a word in edgewise. They're a creepy bunch, and if there are any Scientologists on here, any effort to intimidate me will fail.

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2007, 09:09:52 PM »
and if there are any Scientologists on here, any effort to intimidate me will fail.

COME TO THE DARK SIDE, SUZANNE! WE HAVE COOKIES!

;D

(haha, just kidding! I'm athiest so you're completely safe from me in all regards!)

• Liked: 3
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2007, 09:36:29 PM »
What did everyone think of the "Panorama" show on Scientology? I can understand why the reporter lost it; the Scientology guy wouldn't let him get a word in edgewise. They're a creepy bunch, and if there are any Scientologists on here, any effort to intimidate me will fail.

I was impressed he held it together that long. I would have lost it long before he did. That little tool was up in his face the whole time. I kept thinking that if they don't have anything to hide, they're not doing a very good job of proving it. Definitely a strange lot!

• Liked: 2
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2007, 09:38:42 PM »
I thought it was quite revealing. The scientology people certainly didn't do themselves any favours.  The BBC didn't really need to do anything, just let them show what they really are.

Sponsored Links