Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Fiance / Spouse Visa - procedures  (Read 1985 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Fiance / Spouse Visa - procedures
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2007, 10:00:11 AM »
I'm confused.  I thought a fiance visa was good for multiple entries to the UK.  But does that mean only *before* you are married?

Pretty much- like garry said if you got back into the UK on a fiance visa you'd probably be considered an illegal entrant anyway.  Fiance visas are for fiances- once you become a spouse, you need a new visa to reflect your change in status.

Even if you're going to Ireland, I still wouldn't risk it.
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2007, 10:43:21 AM »
Ok, thanks.  I have a related question, I'll post separately.
Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2007, 03:51:52 PM »
Wow.  :o Thanks so much for the correction!  I definitely would have slipped up there by slipping out of the country without realizing the cost; Andrea, Garry & the rest, you saved us from a couple-hundred pound error (which, of course, no immigrant can afford with the fee increases)!  Thank you UK-Yankees!

• Falling Into Infinity
    • www.dreamtheater.net
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2008, 12:17:40 AM »
Sorry to post this, and this may be stupid but how would they know you're married if you leave? My hubby and I wanted to go to Italy for honeymoon but after reading this  I'm quite worried. I can see how my fiance visa was already stamped, but does that mean if we HADNT got married, we would have been allowed to go to the EU? It's late so I'm sorry if this is nonsense.
Thanks!

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2008, 12:28:52 AM »
The problem would be when you then came back to apply for your FLR as a spouse.  They would see that the dates don't tally, and potentially refuse you.  Also, if they ask you at the airport on your way back, if you tell the truth you could be refused.

Garry's post is a good example.  Althought I have known cases where the postal application was refused and the applicant had to go back to the home country to make a fresh application.

Vicky

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2008, 12:38:04 AM »
I am SOOOO glad that this has been posted, because I was going to get married Sep 27th in the UK on a fiance visa and then leave for the States for 3 weeks on October 20th, then do the Spousal visa application when I got back to the UK. 

So since I'll have nearly 3 and a half weeks between the wedding and when I want to leave the UK, is it advisable to fill out the online app and possibly get the biometrics done before the ceremony and then ship off all the necessary paperwork right after it?  I've read on this forum that the entire process can take up to 4 weeks so I'm hoping that getting most of it taken care of before the ceremony won't cause me to have to change my plans.

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2008, 08:34:42 AM »
there's no online application for FLR, and biometrics only for certain circumstances (right now Croydon in person applications and London postal apps, but that may change between now and September.)  You can make an in-person appointment at one of the PEO's (Croydon, Solihull, Liverpool or Glasgow) and if your application is straightforward you'll get the visa the same day. If your application is not straightforward or you don't want to pay the extra £200, then you have to send in your application by post which takes about 4 weeks to process.
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

• Banned

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2008, 10:36:55 AM »
Cleo - you have SO many options!

If you are going back to the US after the wedding, why not just come over to the UK on a 'Marriage visit' visa (cost: £65) then, when you get back to the US, make the spousal visa application (cost: £515).  If you come in as fiancee it will be £515 then either £395 and a panic for the switch to spouse, or £750 and a trip to Croydon for the same day service.

The first option could be easier and will save you a bob or two.

Vicky

• Falling Into Infinity
    • www.dreamtheater.net
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2008, 01:04:21 PM »
Thanks for the reply Vicky.
We got a great deal on a holiday, and I do want to do the right thing I'm just like AHH! So I guess I have to pay the extra 200£ to go in person just to be safe. I was trying to think of a way to go and have it in the post, like get the passports certified copied then mail it off while we're away but I don't want to not be able to live in england for 10 years, especially because we now have a house and the market is terrible. Frustrating. Thanks again!!

• Banned

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2008, 02:43:02 PM »
I'm still not sure why you can't do the marriage visit route...or do you already have the fiancee visa?

Vicky

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2008, 03:39:59 PM »
I think she just got married here.

• Falling Into Infinity
    • www.dreamtheater.net
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2008, 04:29:55 PM »
I came over on the Fiance visa, got married here, and now am pissy that I have to pay another £200 on top of the already rediculous price of the next visa so I can go on holiday to Italy (which I have been wanting to do since I was a little girl!) Then after that I get to do another one for even more money, then eventually get to pay more money to get citizenship, arg!  >:(

I made the appointment though, Sheffield is the closest so I'll be going there in 2 weeks to get this done and dusted. Took forever to get someone on the line for an appointment. Glad I'm paying so much money for prompt service. If I hear Mozart's eine kline natch music  any time soon I'll scream lol. ::)

Just pissy today, esp because doing this visa, it asks the same information as the first one! Sorry for the rant, just exhausted of this.

Thanks for the info.  ;)

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2008, 04:52:40 PM »
This is why a lot of us got married in the US and then came over on a spousal visa :) 

Good to save any pennies (or pence) you can. 

• Banned

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2008, 04:57:04 PM »
I think she just got married here.

Doh!  Sorry, I am getting Steph and Cleo's posts confused!

Vicky

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2008, 05:09:55 PM »
I made the appointment though, Sheffield is the closest so I'll be going there in 2 weeks to get this done and dusted.

There's a PEO in Sheffield now?? Sweet!  Will save me travelling to Liverpool for my FLR, yay :)
Now a triple citizen!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab