Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Hairspray the Movie  (Read 1531 times)

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
Hairspray the Movie
« on: May 25, 2007, 10:07:19 PM »
http://www.hairspraymovie.com/ (takes a long time to load)

??? ???

A movie, based on the musical which was based on................ummm, the movie.

I suspect as a 'balmer hon' I'm always gonna be partial to the original John Waters version of course. Load of my friends were extras! But, has anyone heard anything about this? Good, bad, ugly?  ;) :D
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Liked: 0
Re: Hairspray the Movie
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 10:14:27 PM »
Hey balmerhon,
This is one of the John Watters movies I've not seen unfortunately although I've seen clips of it.  It'd be weird to see a version without the likes of Divine and Ricki Lake.  Funnily, my dad always used to tell stories of going on these dance shows in Baltimore in the 50s and 60s which was a really big deal in the day.

I notice Jerry Stiller was in both versions of the movie although he appears to play different characters (Mr Pinky and Wilbur Turnblad).
And the world first spoke to me in Sensurround

• Liked: 3
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 10:17:21 PM »
Huh??   ???  I wonder what John Water's thinks about this. I love watching his movies and recognizing the 'only in Baltimore' aspects!

That's very cool about your friends being extras in the original!  [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

• Officially a Brit.
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 10:18:50 PM »
You gotta see it, it's so funny (the original, obviously)!

But, I've just had a closer look at the site for this one, and I have to say, I'm a bit intrigued by John Travolta as Edna Turnblad!! I saw a promo for this on ITV while watching American Idol and I had no idea at the time it was Travolta!

Jerry Stiller is awesome, too!

Bmore - my PROM date is in a major dance scene!! Guess that dates me pretty well though!  ;D
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 10:59:54 PM »
Huh??   ???  I wonder what John Water's thinks about this.

From the interviews I've seen, he's tickled about the entire thing.  He thinks it's hilarious.  And what's more campy than taking a movie, turning it into a musical... then turning the musical into a movie?

Personally, no one could be Edna Turnblad other than Divine. It's just wrong!  Harvey Firestein (sp?) was almost acceptable, but John Travolta is just creeeeeepy.  The beauty of Divine was that he was a drag queen.  John Travolta is just doing Mrs. Doubtfire. :P

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 11:28:51 PM »
From the interviews I've seen, he's tickled about the entire thing.  He thinks it's hilarious.  And what's more campy than taking a movie, turning it into a musical... then turning the musical into a movie?

That's excellent! He's always seemed like such a purist to me in interviews I've read.

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 12:49:00 AM »
John Travolta is just doing Mrs. Doubtfire. :P

Careful now.  Don't diss my Tony.
(at least wait til you've seen it!!)
Hollywood, CA -> London, UK 2004
London, UK -> Long Beach, CA 2007

Best 3 1/2 years of my life!

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007, 01:58:44 AM »
Careful now.  Don't diss my Tony.
(at least wait til you've seen it!!)

Were he still truly Tony, I'd treat him with the utmost of respect.  But, sadly, Tony is no more.

• Officially a Brit.
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2007, 07:45:49 AM »
I'm not surprised John Waters is tickled by the whole thing. I'm sure he sees the absurdity in it all, and, well, that's what he specializes in!

I'm of 2 minds about Travolta (I assume that's who you mean with Tony?). The Scientology creeps me out big time. But I have to say that I enjoy watching him as an actor.

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2007, 10:39:44 AM »
http://www.hairspraymovie.com/ (takes a long time to load)

??? ???

A movie, based on the musical which was based on................ummm, the movie.

I suspect as a 'balmer hon' I'm always gonna be partial to the original John Waters version of course. Load of my friends were extras! But, has anyone heard anything about this? Good, bad, ugly?  ;) :D

Nothing to do with the movie, but I just googled "balmer hon" and found out what it means!  :)

• Officially a Brit.
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2007, 11:02:45 AM »
If you found out it means 'Baltimore' and that 'hon' is just the local term of endearment, you would be correct. It can also refer to a certain camp look epitomized by John Waters films. It consists of beehive hairdos, cats eye glasses, and loud clothes. Think the B52s, or see:

www.cafehon.com (click on the honfest link and start laughing!) :)

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2007, 04:05:57 PM »
Were he still truly Tony, I'd treat him with the utmost of respect.  But, sadly, Tony is no more.

I just realized that my post could be completely misconstrued.  I've always liked John Travolta; still do.  It's just that the 'Tony' in him is long gone. :(

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2007, 05:12:09 PM »
If you found out it means 'Baltimore' and that 'hon' is just the local term of endearment, you would be correct. It can also refer to a certain camp look epitomized by John Waters films. It consists of beehive hairdos, cats eye glasses, and loud clothes. Think the B52s, or see:

www.cafehon.com (click on the honfest link and start laughing!) :)

I found myself starting to call people 'hon' and I was horrified with myself! I think i've broken that habit since being here! Caryn, since you grew up there, can you do a pretty good Balmer accent?? I have a friend who grew up in Parkville and he was excellent at talking about how he was going to the 'oshun'. Hilarious!

• Officially a Brit.
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2007, 05:22:37 PM »
I have to confess that I'm not a native... I mostly grew up in the b'more burbs. But I can do the accent if need be!! ;)

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2007, 01:02:41 PM »
I have a friend who grew up in Parkville and he was excellent at talking about how he was going to the 'oshun'. Hilarious!
Bmore_to_UK, I'm from Parkville (within spitting distance anyway!).  So are you not from Baltimore yourself?  I assumed your screen name suggested as such.

We're going "Downy oshun" in July to Ocean City!  We can look out our "winder" and see the "oshun".
Cafe Hon isn't bad although I've only been once.  My dad grew up in Hampden which is where a lot of John Water inspiration comes from.
And the world first spoke to me in Sensurround

Sponsored Links