Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: cream vs. lowfat milk  (Read 1214 times)

• Liked: 1
Re: cream vs. lowfat milk
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2004, 05:44:54 PM »
Lost did you see my post about the mad chili peeps.... there is hope there is... ;D
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Liked: 1
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2004, 05:50:04 PM »
Horchata
Horchata is an old-world drink that was enjoyed by the Aztecs. Today this agua fresca is served throughout Mexico, as well as in many authentic Mexican restaurants in the United States.
Ingredients:

1 cup uncooked white rice
¼ cup ground, blanched almonds OR ¼ cup almond meal
1 cinnamon stick
6 cups water, divided
½ teaspoon vanilla
½ cup sugar
Directions:
Put the rice in a blender and grind to a powder (about 2-3 minutes). You can also use a spice grinder or coffee grinder for this. Grind the mixture as smooth as possible. Combine the pulverized rice, ground almonds and cinnamon stick. Cover tightly and allow to set overnight or at least 6 hours.

Remove the cinnamon stick and place the rice mixture in the blender. Blend for 4 or 5 minutes until the mixture is smooth, powdery and no longer has a gritty texture. Add 2 cups of water, and blend again for about 15 seconds.

Strain into a pitcher through several layers of dampened cheesecloth (or coffee filter). Don't skip this step or the drink will have a chalky taste.

Add 4 more cups water and the vanilla and sugar, stirring until the sugar dissolves. If the mixture is too thick, add some additional water. Horchata should have the consistency of milk. The drink is supposed to be sweet, so taste and add more sugar, if desired.

Cover and refrigerate. Horchata will keep several days, refrigerated. Serve it chilled in tall glasses over ice. Makes 1-½ quarts.
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Maggie
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2004, 07:05:48 PM »
Horchata is so yummy!  Will have to certainly try that recipe. My kids will be soooooo jazzed if I can pull this one off.  I can't stand milk at all, kids and hubby could drink gallons.  I even eat dry cereal, which is very amusing when we have guests at breakfast time.  :P   Thanks for posting!  
RIP my dear sweet Bailey...sorry you had to die so young....

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2004, 11:03:30 PM »

unfortunately, most good Mexican products are no where to be found on this island...  :'(   (yet.)

www.lupepintos.com

www.coolchile.co.uk
« Last Edit: March 09, 2004, 11:03:41 PM by Broxi »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab