Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: X Factor question  (Read 920 times)

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
X Factor question
« on: May 29, 2007, 01:18:37 PM »
This is actually serious... does anyone have any familiarity with the audition process or know anyone who does?

I know someone who is in the process and it seems that there may be some potentially misleading information going around but this person won't tell me the whole story. The person I know is quite vulnerable and easily mislead. I'd like to know more about the process so I can determine if anything is really wrong or if I just need to do my best to help protect this person from their own vulnerability.

Sorry to sound all melodramatic!

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

Re: X Factor question
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 01:21:34 PM »
My neice has auditioned twice for X-Factor. Basically they pre-audition people in advance before sending them to the three judges. Obviously you have to be either very good OR very bad (for them to take the pi$$ for entertainment purposes). My neice is good but has never made it to the real audition we see on TV. Now she's a Sheila's Wheels Sheila  ::)

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 01:24:10 PM »
I don't have any inside info but when we were living in Kent there was a big story in the local paper because some local acts had gone to audition and they all got the hump because they were not seen by Simon Cowell etc, it was behind the scenes people who judged.  They then sent through the best acts as well as the really atrocious ones that end up on TV.   Seems a bit naeive to me that they expected that Simon etc were going to watch all the zillions and zillions of people who turn up to these things.

oops x-posted with Pebbles!

• Liked: 6
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 01:25:22 PM »
Now she's a Sheila's Wheels Sheila
LOL My daughter LOVES those commercials and tries to sing along to the song.
The Guide For Working Families review http://londonelegance.com/transpondia/twfg/

• Officially a Brit.
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 01:27:30 PM »
Yeah, I do know about the non-Simon rounds. Pebbles, did your niece get any communication from the X Factor people at all after her auditions? Was she 'invited' back or anything like that for the following season or for the open auditions?
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 01:51:57 PM »
Yeah, I do know about the non-Simon rounds. Pebbles, did your niece get any communication from the X Factor people at all after her auditions? Was she 'invited' back or anything like that for the following season or for the open auditions?
No, nothing. She was just sent away. And she tried again the following year. I think the 'pre-judgers' know exactly what sort of acts they're looking for. I also think if you don't handle rejection well or aren't very thick skinned I would probably skip it all together.  :-\\\\

• Officially a Brit.
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 02:32:40 PM »
The person I know applied last year and made it thru to the Cowell round and was then eliminated.

They then received a letter 'inviting' them to this years auditions where they auditioned in front of the 'pre-judges'. They got a flat no. But have since received another letter. Now, I don't know what is in this letter, but it suddenly has this person's hopes up again. Way high where they don't belong.

I suspect the letter may be an invite to the open audition that is mentioned on the web site.

My fear is that it will be yet another exercise in futility.

(PS some of you may know who I am referring to but I just don't want to spell it out right now)

• Liked: 0
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 03:34:24 PM »
My fear is that it will be yet another exercise in futility.

That is the most likely situation; and the fact that no one knows for sure is the reason why hopes are kept up... you never know.
It's what works best for the production company - it's another way of 'casting' - which contestants will make good tv, and which contestants will make good tv together, and at which point - they have to factor everything in for a good television show; not about making anyone's dreams come true.  As long as they keep people's hopes up, those people will still be in the pool to pull from if the prod. co. suddenly thinks that this person could be of some use.

It's like checking the box at the end of a registration form "We would like to include you on some of our partner companies' special offers from time to time, check here if no"... leading you to think you might really be missing out if you say no.

Same reason why people buy lottery tickets.
(Same reason I still go to auditions!  But not open calls... I'd at least rather have my chances narrowed down somewhat ;) )
Hollywood, CA -> London, UK 2004
London, UK -> Long Beach, CA 2007

Best 3 1/2 years of my life!

• Officially a Brit.
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 05:15:36 PM »
Thanks, E. I was hoping you'd chime in here.

*sigh*

This could get very very depressing.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 05:49:07 PM »
Such is life.
Can't blame a guy for trying... you've not divulged specifics; I can only hope no actual promises are being made, but when the odds are not it one's favour... manipulation prevails. (***smoke and mirrors***)
I only hope this person is also pursuing other avenues at the same time, and not solely relying on something like X Factor.
If so, I would then question just how big a dream this is... and how much he/she is willing to do to achieve it.
Hollywood, CA -> London, UK 2004
London, UK -> Long Beach, CA 2007

Best 3 1/2 years of my life!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab