Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Why do People Immigrate out of the UK?  (Read 4433 times)

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
  • Liked: 0
Why do People Immigrate out of the UK?
« on: November 03, 2002, 10:12:31 PM »
Is this the reasons people are leaving the UK for other countries? The UK is very much developed, but people move for much the same reason that some Americans may leave the US. Higher paid jobs, career promotions, relationships, better weather.

There is also a massive influx of ethnic minorities getting into the country, most illegally via the channel tunnel, which is putting a strain on the social services (as these people then get housing / benefits, etc). These even illegal immigrants can 'jump' the waiting lists for council housing (many councils prioritise housing newcomer immigrants over those who have been on waiting lists for years), and get free furniture and food stamps.
Plus the 'traditional' british way of life is being shunned incase it upsets or offends the new influx coming into the country. Thats why you dont see many Union Jack flags in the UK, compared to all the US flags in America.
The police are as bent as a magicians spoon and crime is out of control. A man can be imprisoned for defending himself.
It's a nice country, but it's starting to smell funny.

Re: Why do People Immigrate out of the UK?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2002, 07:24:47 PM »
.... the 'traditional' british way of life is being shunned incase it upsets or offends the new influx coming into the country.  Thats why you dont see many Union Jack flags in the UK, compared to all the US flags in America.
..... A man can be imprisoned for defending himself. ....

Mostly because my wife is American; but I'd probably be looking to leave anyway, to some degree for most of the factors you mentioned, but notably that it is almost a crime to be a patriotic Brit, and that defending yourself, your family and your property is a crime.  :(
Richard

• From Texas to North Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2003, 02:40:46 PM »

Mostly because my wife is American; but I'd probably be looking to leave anyway, to some degree for most of the factors you mentioned, but notably that it is almost a crime to be a patriotic Brit, and that defending yourself, your family and your property is a crime.  :(

I think some people leave Britain because of money.  Salaries here are ridiculously depressed while the cost of living is ridiculously high.  Some professional couples now cannot afford to buy a home or even have children.  

I've known several British people since I've been here that have left for the states.  One left because her research department was being closed down.  Another left for money.  Another left because of the weather.  None of them ever want to come back because they're so much better off in the States financially...their houses are twice as big as their houses/flats here and they make lots more money.  

Leave the matter of religion to the family altar, the church, and the private schools, supported entirely by private contributions. Keep the church and the state forever separated. -- Ulysses S. Grant

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2003, 03:24:07 AM »
Illegal immigration seems to definitely be the hot topic in the U.K these days along with Tony Martin and his recent release from prison. The crime rate?......I did notice that beat police in certain areas of Birmingham are now armed, but with relatively few deaths by handguns ( an average of 65 a year as opposed to 11,000 in the U.S) I,ve yet to see the same culture of fear in England that permeates America. I do think that the pay scale is way out of whack especially in the medical field which is one of the reasons that the N.H.S is in constant turmoil and that depending on which area you choose to live in the housing market is high but all in all the pace of life there is a lot less hectic and demanding......just my view anyhoo 8)

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2003, 11:40:33 AM »
Illegal immigration seems to definitely be the hot topic in the U.K these days along with Tony Martin and his recent release from prison. The crime rate?......I did notice that beat police in certain areas of Birmingham are now armed, but with relatively few deaths by handguns ( an average of 65 a year as opposed to 11,000 in the U.S) I,ve yet to see the same culture of fear in England that permeates America. I do think that the pay scale is way out of whack especially in the medical field which is one of the reasons that the N.H.S is in constant turmoil and that depending on which area you choose to live in the housing market is high but all in all the pace of life there is a lot less hectic and demanding......just my view anyhoo 8)

Violent crime in general is lower (than the USA) here, but property crime is equal in some areas and higher in others.  Does it seem like violent crime is on the increase?  It sure does in York...our murder rate is up 300%.  We had 1 murder in 2002, we've chalked up 3 in 2003.  Maybe it's just one of those statistical blips.
:-)

Leave the matter of religion to the family altar, the church, and the private schools, supported entirely by private contributions. Keep the church and the state forever separated. -- Ulysses S. Grant

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2003, 03:55:20 PM »
The city of York has a population of what......roughly 175,000? While even one murder is too much, 3 in a city with a population of that size in my opinion hardly constitutes a significant problem(unless of course youre one of the unlucky 3 :-/) but statistics being what they are, yeah a 300% increase does seem dramatic.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2003, 04:04:02 PM by CeltictotheCore »

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2003, 09:05:04 PM »
The city of York has a population of what......roughly 175,000? While even one murder is too much, 3 in a city with a population of that size in my opinion hardly constitutes a significant problem(unless of course youre one of the unlucky 3 :-/) but statistics being what they are, yeah a 300% increase does seem dramatic.

I don't think it's a significant problem...yet.  If the murder rate stays at this level or increases, I'll start to get a bit scared.  For years York's murder rate was close to 0.

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2003, 02:57:18 AM »

Was that before or after Peter Sutcliffe?...... :'(
« Last Edit: September 07, 2003, 02:58:59 AM by CeltictotheCore »

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2003, 11:32:22 AM »

Was that before or after Peter Sutcliffe?...... :'(

I wasn't aware Peter Sutcliffe committed any murders in York...most of his activity was about 40 miles west of here in West Yorkshire.  I'm in North Yorkshire.

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2003, 07:38:21 PM »
It's not just in Britain where people can't afford to buy a home. My American sister-in-law and her hubby cannot afford to buy their own place in Massachussetts.

I think violent crime in the UK is mostly related to drug gangs.

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2003, 07:39:51 PM »
It's not just in Britain where people can't afford to buy a home. My American sister-in-law and her hubby cannot afford to buy their own place in Massachussetts.

Yeah, I hear horror stories about Massachusetts.  It's sad because I'd like to live there, but I don't think I ever would if I can't own my own home.

I think violent crime in the UK is mostly related to drug gangs.

Probably in America too....

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2003, 12:15:39 PM »
The only Brits who I know IRL who've emigrated out of the UK moved for job reasons.  They love the US and are planning on applying for Permanent Residency (Green cards) as soon as they are able.

Stephanie

• I fell in love to be let down...
    • My Road to Recovery
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2003, 06:59:06 PM »
US housing prices are so out of whack you'd be surprised.  I live in the metro Washington D.C. area and housing prices have been rising at least 10% per year here in the last 4 years.  I used to work at a mortgage company, so I have a pretty good idea about housing prices across the US and lemme tell ya, they're skyrocketing.  I advised my mother to buy a townhouse three years ago, and somehow I actually convinced her to do so.  Pretty small actually, 2 bedrooms, 2 full baths, finished basement.  She paid $112,000 in April 2000.  It is a corner townhome though so it's a tad bigger than the rest.  The house two houses down just sold last week...not a corner townhouse, no deck like my mother's, and a bit smaller...selling price: $198,000.  Single-family homes here go for at least $350,000 plus, and that's usually for a home that's easily a good hour-hour and a half commute from work unless you're extremely lucky.
  Thinking of moving to Boston?  Be prepared to pay, and pay big, to get a home.  I strongly recommend the outskirts of town.  Mortgage prices are showing a tendancy to rise now, after a 3 year period of almost record lows.  I'd strongly advise against Adjustable-rate mortgages because chances are they won't go down lower than this for a while now, but then again I've always hated ARM's.  Best of luck on your search.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2003, 06:59:38 PM by Lelandperrin »
The search for my future ex-wife marches on...

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2003, 11:58:58 PM »
US housing prices are so out of whack you'd be surprised.  I live in the metro Washington D.C. area and housing prices have been rising at least 10% per year here in the last 4 years.  I used to work at a mortgage company, so I have a pretty good idea about housing prices across the US and lemme tell ya, they're skyrocketing.  I advised my mother to buy a townhouse three years ago, and somehow I actually convinced her to do so.  Pretty small actually, 2 bedrooms, 2 full baths, finished basement.  She paid $112,000 in April 2000.  It is a corner townhome though so it's a tad bigger than the rest.  The house two houses down just sold last week...not a corner townhouse, no deck like my mother's, and a bit smaller...selling price: $198,000.  Single-family homes here go for at least $350,000 plus, and that's usually for a home that's easily a good hour-hour and a half commute from work unless you're extremely lucky.
  Thinking of moving to Boston?  Be prepared to pay, and pay big, to get a home.  I strongly recommend the outskirts of town.  Mortgage prices are showing a tendancy to rise now, after a 3 year period of almost record lows.  I'd strongly advise against Adjustable-rate mortgages because chances are they won't go down lower than this for a while now, but then again I've always hated ARM's.  Best of luck on your search.

I know Boston is very expensive...I have relatives there.  I've always loved New England...possibly because my mother is from there and I have a lot of family up there...and I've always been fond of Boston.  It's certainly not the only place on the list, but it's definitely at the top.  It might be good for my husband because he doesn't work in the "private" sector...he does computer science research for a university, and there are LOTS of those in the Boston area doing similar research.  So, fingers crossed...I'll pester him about it some more.

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2003, 12:30:06 AM »
Boston is ridiculously expensive,take my word for ,I live here ,I know. For years its had the distinction of being the 2nd most expensive place in the country only to San Francisco and its all due to the high-tech industry. I grew up in Cambridge (almost in Harvard's back yard) and whatever Harvard, M.I.T, or Radcliffe does'nt own by this point would still cost $400,000 and up, and even then we're talking an 800 sq. foot condo. Prices in surrounding communities depending on how far youre willing to commute are somewhat less. The further youre willing to commute, the more bang you'll get for your buck. Lovely town, lots to do, great culture and night-life but EXPENSIVE. If ya can make the kinda money that supports that kinda lifestyle then Massachussetts is a great place to live.  8)

P.S........did'nt we give the world The J.Geils Band, Donna Summer, The New Kids On The Block, Boston, Jay Leno, Dennis Leary, the Boston Pops, Matt Damon, J.F.K, .......c'mon......someone else has to think of a few more , I'm on my 6th Guinness 8)

« Last Edit: September 13, 2003, 12:50:07 AM by CeltictotheCore »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab