Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Sheffield  (Read 967 times)

• Back again
  • Liked: 0
Sheffield
« on: March 06, 2004, 07:32:22 PM »
Hi,

As I am spending a couple of days in Sheffield next week, I was just wondering if there are any UKY members living in Sheffield. If so, what do you think of the place? Do you like living there? Are the people nice?

Hubby has 3 interviews there on Tuesday afternoon. I will have 6 hours to kill on my own. Any suggestions on what to do to occupy my time (things to go and see?).

Any opinions greatly appreciated.

Jenny :)

• Liked: 1
Re: Sheffield
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2004, 12:13:40 PM »
I'm afraid I've only been to Sheffield a couple of times.  

But I can recommend Meadowhall if you've got a few hours to spare for shopping.  :D  All the trams/trains go right to it.  There is also the Millenium building. (sorry I can't remember the actual name).  It is this massive glass and wooden building with a huge atrium and a few galleries.  They can have some really interesting exibitions in there.

good luck.  
'Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.' - Emerson

• Back again
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2004, 09:34:20 PM »
Funnily enough, a couple of days turned into just an afternoon in Sheffield. Neither my husband or I could get past all the smoke stacks and grime. We cancelled the interviews  :o, drove up to York and enjoyed an evening there. We loved it! No jobs there at the moment though.  :-/
We know that we are lucky that he is in a field where we can somewhat choose location. We are grateful for that.
So, our quest began as chasing an area in England that is nice, has lower house prices than the south, and has a reasonable amount of industry (jobs). I am convinced now that it doesn't exist. The prices up north are marginally cheaper, but if it's in a nice area (York), they really aren't that much cheaper. If it's a place like Norwich that is cheaper and nice, there aren't any jobs.

West Sussex it is on Thursday. Maybe we will like that area. It is close to Gatwick which might be nice. We've decided to take the cost of housing out of the mix and just try to find an area where we will be happy--and just hope for a crash in prices and be ready to pounce if they do.

• Philadelphia, PA to York in 2000
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2004, 10:08:19 PM »
We cancelled the interviews  :o, drove up to York and enjoyed an evening there. We loved it! No jobs there at the moment though.  :-/

I don't have any inside info but our firm may not be hiring right now because we are moving office next month (4 buildings into 1 AND finally room to expand without squeezing in desks) and I'm sure that's costing a pretty penny. Not to mention staff attention.  Once we move and get settled, hiring may pick up again. I know a lot of people are very busy at the moment so that can only be good for growth.

I won't hold his previous job experience against him if he comes and works with us!  :P

Good luck with the hunt though!!

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2004, 12:39:34 AM »
Jon keeps saying that the house market is going to crash any day now.... I'm waiting here patiently.  :P

Hopefully it will soon so you can find a place up north. We need numbers up here.

There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2004, 01:54:53 AM »
Hopefully it will soon so you can find a place up north. We need numbers up here.

Well there will be three more heading that way  in a couple of months  ;)

• Back again
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2004, 02:38:33 PM »
Thanks so much for the well wishes. That's why I like coming here, the support is magnificent, :) I will hopefully someday be able to help someone else when I get out of this rut in my life.

House prices--I am so tired of the pure worry of it. I agree with your husband though Ashley. You look at how high they have risen in the short time that they did and look at the indicators in the SE such as forclosures, slowing of the market, etc, and something is going to happen. For now, we just want to get a place to live and jobs and try to live a normal life for a change--not this hopping the pond that has occurred for the last couple of years. You know, when you're little, you think, oh by 30 I'll be way grown up--only to find at 30 you're still making mistakes and don't know it all after all.

Thanks again for the support and advice all. ((Hugs))

Jenny

Sponsored Links