Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Applying for Naturalisation as a British Citizen  (Read 24485 times)

• Liked: 8
Applying for Naturalisation as a British Citizen
« on: June 14, 2007, 02:10:09 PM »
This post is intended for those who wish to apply for nationality based on either marriage/civil partnership to a UK citizen or based on settlement in the UK (i.e., on a work permit, etc.).  Note that requirements for other routes to nationality may differ.

The website for all nationality-related information is http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/applying/nationality/

This information is for guidance only and should not be taken as legal advice.  Please refer to the Home Office website for full details on the process.

To qualify for British nationality, you must:

a)   be 18 or older

b)   be of sound mind

c)   be able to communicate in English, Welsh, or Gaelic (as appropriate) to an acceptable degree

d)   have sufficient knowledge about life in the UK as demonstrated by the passing of the Life in the UK test – you may have already taken this test when applying for ILR or ILE, depending on the timing of your application (www.lifeintheuktest.gov.uk) OR completing an ESOL course with citizenship

e)   be of good character

f)   have lived in the UK for 5 years (or 3 years if applying as the spouse or civil partner of a UK citizen).  In addition, you must have been present in the UK on the day 5 (or 3) years before the date your application is received by the Home Office.  NOTE:  Time spent in the UK whilst not subject to immigration control may not count toward your residence requirement.

In addition, you must have been free from immigration controls 12 months prior to your application (ILR or ILE).  Those applying as the spouse or civil partner of a UK citizen do not have to meet this requirement – they must be free from immigration control on the day of their application.

Also, if you may not have been absent from the UK more than 450 days of the prior 5 years (or 270 days of the prior 3 years if applying as a spouse/civil partner).  No more than 90 days of absence should take place in the 12 months before you apply, though there is some discretion on this.

Documents required:

a.   application form AN (available on the Home Office website)

b.   references from two British citizens ( both over 25, not related to you by blood or marriage or to each other, not your solicitor if assisting with the application, and not Home Office employees.  One must hold a British passport and one must be of professional standing – i.e., a teacher, doctor, MP, member of the clergy, etc.)

c.   your passport OR national identity card OR Home Office travel document OR Home Office entitlement card OR Home Office ARC letter OR your birth certificate OR your photo driving license OR a bank, building society, or credit card statement issued to you in the last 6 months (note that the identification you provide when taking the Life in the UK test must also accompany your naturalisation application)

d.   pass certificate for Life in the UK test or your ESOL course (or proof that you passed the relevant requirement when applying for ILR/ILE)

e.   evidence of your residence in the UK for the qualifying period – passports of you and your spouse/civil partner (if applicable) OR, if you cannot supply your passport(s), letters from employers, educational establishments, or other Government Departments indicating your presence in the UK during the qualifying period (note that you may include certified copies of your passport(s) – all pages must be copied and certified)

f.   marriage certificate or civil partnership certificate (if applying as a spouse/civil partner)

g.   if you are self employed and do not pay taxes through the PAYE scheme, you must include your most recent HMR&C Self Assessment Statement of Account

h.   the payment slip (current fee is £268)

i.   a passport-sized photograph of yourself (attached to the referees’ page)

If you are including your non-British children on your application, include:

a.   their passports
b.   their birth certificates
c.   parents’ marriage or civil partnership certificate

Send your completed application and supporting documents (preferably by recorded delivery) to:

Managed Migration
Department 1
Nationality Group
PO Box 306
Liverpool
L2 0QN

If you are in the Channel Islands or Isle of Man, send your application to the Lieutenant Governor.

Note that you can take advantage of the Nationality Checking Service offered by some local councils.  For a fee, they will check your application and documents (which you may keep) before the application is sent in for processing.  You must make an appointment for this service.  Details are available on the website listed at the top of this post.

You will receive a letter of acknowledgement of your application in approximately 2-4 weeks.  This letter will contain your reference number, which can be used to enquire about your application.

If you need to contact the Home Office concerning a pending application, call 0845 010 5200(9 a.m to 9 p.m.) or write to:

Nationality Enquiry Team
Department 2
Managed Migration Directorate
PO Box 306
Liverpool
L20QN

As of 14 June 2007, waiting times according to the HO website are averaging 2.6 months for naturalisation applications.

Once your application has been approved, you will receive notification and details explaining how/where/when to attend your citizenship ceremony, which you must attend within 90 days of notice, unless there are extenuating circumstances.

• Liked: 0
Re: Applying for Naturalisation as a British Citizen
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 10:28:58 PM »
This is great, Lola - thanks! :)

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 04:57:42 PM »
Off topic posts have been removed or relocated here:  http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=35338.0

• Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 07:57:19 PM »
Just to note that the fee above is outdated -- should be £665 now. 

• Smiley Gifts World
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 12:19:24 PM »
Thank you so much for this...I am just now thinking it is time to tackle the citizenship issue....and thought wouldn't it be a perfect Just Do It thread!! And here it is!! How had I missed it!?!? Thanks...it is a huge help...quick question..is there an additional fee for adding non-british children to the application?

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 09:18:20 PM »
Being British!

This may have been posted in the past however for those wanting naturalization or a giggle read on:

Being British is about driving in a German car to an Irish pub for a Belgian beer, then travelling home, grabbing an Indian curry or a Turkish kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV. And the most British thing of all? Suspicion of anything foreign.

;D ;D

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 09:43:36 AM »
Thanks for the post Lola! It helps alot :)

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 11:56:05 AM »
Yes, thank you for this!  Just made my LIfe in the UK test appointment!  YIKES!  Anyone else been putting this off?

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2007, 02:38:25 AM »
Been putting off taking the test for ILR visa.    :-\\\\  Such a pain.

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 10:55:10 PM »
If you've been putting it off, just do it!

Finally got the maroon passport yesterday and can't believe what a relief it is.

Whew.

Just not to ever have to bother about immigration issues anymore.

Well worth it.

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 06:52:58 AM »
Finally got the maroon passport yesterday and can't believe what a relief it is.

Yay!!  :)

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2007, 08:55:26 AM »
If you've been putting it off, just do it!

Whew.

Just not to ever have to bother about immigration issues anymore.

Well worth it.

I agree! Congratulations!

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2007, 09:26:06 AM »
Congrats Expat!  Yay!

So sorry I missed this Lola, I can't believe I did :-[  Thank you so much for all your hard work put into posting.

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 12:42:46 PM »
Updated waiting times:

When I submitted my application at the beginning of April, I was told that the letter of acknowledgement would arrive in 8 - 10 weeks, and the whole process would take 12 - 14 weeks.

Now the Home Office is saying that applications made since January 2008 can take up to 7 months.

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2009, 10:53:30 PM »
This one is a little hard to explain...

I obtained an FLR Visa in 2004 (on the basis of being with my British partner) and my ILR in November 2006.At the time my passport did not have enough space in it, so I obtained a new passport and sent it in to have my visa put in, but now the visa says Issued Sept 19th 07.Technically I moved to the UK in 2002, but we were back and forth and I was only using visitors visas. So does my time in the UK start in 2002...or 2004?

I have worked in the UK since obtaining my FLR, and will eventually apply for duel citizenship.

I am not sure if I need to have the ILR for three years to go for my duel citizenship... how do I prove that it was issued 11.06? As I see it, I think I should be eligible in Nov 09 to apply, but I am also hearing that I might be eligible now, there are some message boards that say I might be able to start the process after 1 year of getting my ILR.

Also, it says 5 years in the UK on a work permit...but 3 as a wife or partner? I am not married...but I have an unmarried partner visa, that then went to an ILR, and that is the same as a marriage visa...so can I qualify now? I would like to start the process as my partner now looks as though he might be transferred out to Israel for about three years, and this will happen in April, I would like to be with him of course, but I am afraid I will mess up my visas and have to start again from scratch, but I am reluctant to sit in England until November just to meet this requirement. Actually, I really can't afford to.

Losing my visa is unthinkable, as I own a home here and we plan to settle here eventually.

I am a little confused!

Any information would be most helpful!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab