Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Vegetarian Marshmallows?  (Read 1816 times)

Vegetarian Marshmallows?
« on: March 09, 2004, 10:25:18 AM »
Ok this post is inspired by all that talk of rice krispie treats and smores. ;D

As most of you probably know I am a strict vegetarian, and for myself that also means abstaining from things containing gelatine (Cow hooves/hide...I don't remember which! ???) So long story short, nothing containing marshmallows for Samantha.

A while back I was told by a friend that there are Marshmallow alternatives and "vegetarian marshmallows"---has anyone actually seen these things? :o I haven't been actively looking while at school but my Mom can't find these veggie mallows either.

Any ideas?

Samantha***

• Unavailable for Comment.
  • Liked: 0
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

• this is dedicated to the one i love
Re: Vegetarian Marshmallows?
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2004, 03:43:39 PM »
I have heard that there may be such things as Kosher marshmellows, and have heard that the Kosher gelatine is made from some sort of vegtable product.
I don't like marshmellows, so i have never investigated further.

So, you may just want go with Ashley's link and order online.
;)

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2004, 05:05:01 PM »
that is so weird that you mention this!  :o  

a friend of ours from Scotland came down for a visit last night.  his name is Graham, and when i first met him i asked if he ever had a graham cracker, which he said he never heard of them.  he is a vegan, so when i went back to the states in December, i found a box of vegan Graham crackers for him, and gave them to him last nite.  (Honey Grahams for my honey, Graham...  aaaw  *lol*)

he asked how he was supposed to eat them... what he should put on them, etc, and i told him about S'mores.  he is also diabetic, so i told him how i looked for diabetic chocolate, but decided against it, because S'mores are also made with marshmallows, and marshmallows contain gelatin, and blah blah blah...

its cool to know that there is actually a vegan substitute!  ;D  i'll have to let him know!

btw, Rezidesi... i find it odd that you would commit to being a "strict vegetarian" and not know what gelatin is...  :-/   isn't the definition of a "strict vegetarian" one who eats no meat products, eggs, or milk?   i believe that would make you a "Vegan", but hey... i could be wrong.  

anyway, FYI, gelatin is a colorless or slightly yellow, transparent, brittle protein formed by boiling the specially prepared skin, bones, and connective tissue of animals and used in foods (lots of candy, too), drugs, and photographic film.   it is also found in certain types of beer, as i think it may be used as a sort of thickening agent.  Guiness contains gelatin, for one...   ;)
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2004, 05:48:14 PM »
 Guiness contains gelatin, for one...   ;)

Ha ha ha! I'm going to tell hubby, who's a vegetarian. He loves Guiness. Ha ha ha!  ;D

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2004, 08:48:31 PM »
Ashley: Thank you so much for the link!!! :D There seems to be a back order on the product, so it must be in demand! :D

that is so weird that you mention this!  :o

btw, Rezidesi... i find it odd that you would commit to being a "strict vegetarian" and not know what gelatin is...  :-/   isn't the definition of a "strict vegetarian" one who eats no meat products, eggs, or milk?   i believe that would make you a "Vegan", but hey... i could be wrong.  

anyway, FYI, gelatin is a colorless or slightly yellow, transparent, brittle protein formed by boiling the specially prepared skin, bones, and connective tissue of animals and used in foods (lots of candy, too), drugs, and photographic film.   it is also found in certain types of beer, as i think it may be used as a sort of thickening agent.  Guiness contains gelatin, for one...   ;)

I pretty much knew what gelatine is, I was in between wondering if it was hide or hooves. :-X For me, what it's made of exactly is a bit arbitrary since I won't eat anything that had a face... ;)

A vegan is someone who in addition to not eating meat (poultry, fish, beef, mutton--any animal) does not partake in eating diary or eggs. It is also likely that their consumption habits translate into lifestyle choices like not wearing leather or using products tested on animals etc too.

I am not a vegan--occassionally I eat eggs and consume diary regularly.

A "strict vegetarian" may also be a vegan--but their extra limitations concerning diary and eggs is what makes them vegan.

In all technicality I am an ovo-lacto vegetarian. For about four years I was strictly a lacto-vegetarian but had to adapt to the occassional egg when I came to the university.

A semi-vegetarian is someone who may eat fish every once in a while. It seems to me that a lot of my British friends are in this catagory.

To me a strict vegetarian is anyone who *always* since making the commitment not to consume meat, sticks to that promise. Hopefully this person in addition to restricting their dietary habits also is aware of the social/enviromental/heath benefits of their choices. I haven't consumed meat in any direct or indirect form since 15 November, 1997 ;D.

cheers,

Samantha***

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2004, 09:02:42 PM »
Well done Sam.

I always get a little anxious thinking about how Jon will do when we move back to the states considering there is such an appalling lack of meat substitutes. It's not a big deal here because the industry is thriving and restaurants always have a veggie alternative but (and perhaps it's just that I've never actually looked) in the states you're kind of on your own.

Knowing you've done as you have for so long gives me hope that my sweetie won't perish away.  ;D (and if you were wondering, I'm quite the carnivore, so I couldn't care less for myself.  ;) )

• this is dedicated to the one i love
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2004, 09:20:52 PM »
Ashley - meat substitutes are on the rise in this country!  I was dreading coming back after I became so fond of Quorn (very tasty meat substitute made from mushroom protein) while living in England.  Hoever, when i came back, I discovered that in the year  i was gone it seems to have broken into the US market and is sold in many healthfood stores and here in Florida we get it in the frozen section of our local grocery store, Publix!
There are also many brands that have expanded their products and improved quality, such as morningstar farms, bocca, and gardenburger.  these are companies that used to just make a bland veggie burger and now make a wide variety of excellent veggie high protein foods that you can get at a regular grocery store.
hooray!

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2004, 12:49:31 AM »

There are also many brands that have expanded their products and improved quality, such as morningstar farms, ...

Ooh. They sell meatless bacon here that tastes exactly like good American streaky bacon. It's the only stuff I'll eat here (which makes my husband giggle to no end - the only stuff I like is vegetarian  :P )

Thanks for letting me know. It's good news!

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2004, 04:05:15 PM »

I pretty much knew what gelatine is, I was in between wondering if it was hide or hooves. :-X For me, what it's made of exactly is a bit arbitrary since I won't eat anything that had a face... ;)

A vegan is someone who in addition to not eating meat (poultry, fish, beef, mutton--any animal) does not partake in eating diary or eggs. It is also likely that their consumption habits translate into lifestyle choices like not wearing leather or using products tested on animals etc too.

I am not a vegan--occassionally I eat eggs and consume diary regularly.

A "strict vegetarian" may also be a vegan--but their extra limitations concerning diary and eggs is what makes them vegan.

In all technicality I am an ovo-lacto vegetarian. For about four years I was strictly a lacto-vegetarian but had to adapt to the occassional egg when I came to the university.

A semi-vegetarian is someone who may eat fish every once in a while. It seems to me that a lot of my British friends are in this catagory.

To me a strict vegetarian is anyone who *always* since making the commitment not to consume meat, sticks to that promise. Hopefully this person in addition to restricting their dietary habits also is aware of the social/enviromental/heath benefits of their choices. I haven't consumed meat in any direct or indirect form since 15 November, 1997 ;D.

cheers,

Samantha***

thanx for the info... very enlightening!  ;D  
and sorry if i sounded rude in my post.  i don't mean to come across as rude, i am just curious...  :)

...but more questions!  *lol*
okay, if you don't eat anything with a face, how come you eat eggs?  if an egg hatches, the chick has a face...  ???   to me, eating an egg would be like eating an entire chicken, brains and all.   doesn't that gross you out?
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2004, 04:15:05 PM »
The eggs we eat are unfertilized - so no little chicks with little faces!
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2004, 04:24:41 PM »
The eggs we eat are unfertilized - so no little chicks with little faces!

well, occasionally they DO get fertilized...  ever crack open an egg and see a bit of blood near the yolk?  thats what that is... [smiley=puke.gif]  and it is not uncommon.

basically, my point is that an egg will eventually become an animal's body.  it is produced by an animal, so therefore it is an animal product, an animal's body... pure animal protein.  technically, wouldn't eating an egg be like killing a chicken?  ???

okay, like if you removed a calf from its mother's womb before it was born, and served it as veal, that'd be okay?  it wouldn't really be beef?  ???

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2004, 04:36:18 PM »

basically, my point is that an egg will eventually become an animal's body.  

No. The egg is unfertilised, it's a product of a chicken's ovulation, and it will never become a chicken, otherwise we'd be asking for our zygotes to be cooked sunny-side-up.

• Hi there.
    • Works website
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2004, 04:45:20 PM »
I'm a vegetarian, not because I love animals, but because I really HATE vegetables.
"I'm sorry but you have reached an imaginary number. Please rotate the phone 90 Degrees and try again... BEEEEEEP"

• Hi there.
    • Works website
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2004, 04:52:55 PM »
I tell a lie, I'm no vegetarian. Used to be for a good 10 years, but after reading a book called "The Secret Life Of Plants" I couldn't ethically justify boiling and chopping up live vegetables with feelings, so I just eat sand now, and the occasional handful of plastics (for the protein).
"I'm sorry but you have reached an imaginary number. Please rotate the phone 90 Degrees and try again... BEEEEEEP"

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab