Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Vegetarian Marshmallows?  (Read 1815 times)

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
Re: Vegetarian Marshmallows?
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2004, 04:57:05 PM »

well, occasionally they DO get fertilized...  ever crack open an egg and see a bit of blood near the yolk?  thats what that is... [smiley=puke.gif]  and it is not uncommon.

Actually...

http://www.aeb.org/facts/facts.html#1

BLOOD SPOTS
Also called meat spots. Occasionally found on an egg yolk. Contrary to popular opinion, these tiny spots do not indicate a fertilized egg. Rather, they are caused by the rupture of a blood vessel on the yolk surface during formation of the egg or by a similar accident in the wall of the oviduct. Less than 1% of all eggs produced have blood spots.

Mass candling methods reveal most eggs with blood spots and those eggs are removed but, even with electronic spotters, it is impossible to catch all of them. As an egg ages, the yolk takes up water from the albumen to dilute the blood spot so, in actuality, a blood spot indicates that the egg is fresh. Both chemically and nutritionally, these eggs are fit to eat. The spot can be removed with the tip of a knife, if you wish.

NB - Bolded emphasis added by me.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• Liked: 2
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2004, 05:21:51 PM »

A semi-vegetarian is someone who may eat fish every once in a while. It seems to me that a lot of my British friends are in this catagory.

cheers,

Samantha***

I am one of these but there is a technical term for this which is pescetarian but as (a) hardly anyone seems to understand that and (b) it sounds poncey i usually say i'm a vegetarian. i wouldn't say semi vegetarian that to me is someone who eats fish and poultry but not mammals.

anyway who cares just eat what you want to eat and let others do the same that's what i say.

Samatha you will be glad to know as you are a strict veggie and therefore I presume avoiding rennet there there is a wide range of non rennet cheese available easily available over here so you need not go cheeseless during your upcoming visit. Can't help on the marshmallow front not something I hanker after myself but if you want jelly (sorry that's what you would call "Jell-O" I think) I have seen vegetarian varietes in health food shops or you can get Agar Agar from Asian grocery stores.

on the gelatine front it is usually pig hooves but the halal and kosher gelatine is cow hooves i believe.

oh dear this is reminding me of a horrible dream i had last night about eating a chicken leg which reminded me of why i gave up meat 17 years ago. bleuch!  

• Liked: 0
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2004, 05:33:05 PM »
i still think it's weird for someone to be a vegetarian and eat eggs, though.  after all, they DO come out of a chicken's butt, and are not formed in soil like a plant.  

i also think that a person who eats fish and poultry (including eggs)  would not be considered a vegetarian at all, as fish and poultry are from animal flesh, but i guess that is just my opinion...  :-/
« Last Edit: March 11, 2004, 05:33:44 PM by Lost_Angel »
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2004, 06:08:00 PM »
it's no funnier than a meat eater eating vegetables is it? i mean just cause you eat meat doesn't mean you eat only meat does it, similarly being vegetarian doesn't mean you can't eat things that are not technically vegetables eg yoghurt, cheese, eggs, nuts etc etc oh dear someone pass me a dried apricot i'm worn out :)

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2004, 06:18:17 PM »
Oh, Britwife, have you tried the dried apricots that are soaked with Amaretto?  Well, not recently, obviously - but before the bambino was on the way?  Yummy!
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2004, 06:26:12 PM »
Oh no I never have and now it will be about 2000 years before I can or something like that anyway! I do like the ones dipped in dark chocolate though haven't seen any around for a while mmmmmmmmmm oh that can be my next craving and I can get Stu to run around town looking for them tee hee, he knows full well i haven't had any actual cravings but he runs around finding things anyway aaahhhhhhh. oops bit off topic sorry hormones took over.

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2004, 06:51:26 PM »
*passes Britwife a dried Apricot*  [smiley=laugh4.gif]

i'm not picking on anyone here, really...  :-[   a vegetarian is a herbivore[/b], though...  :-/

\Veg`e*ta"ri*an\, n.
1. One who holds that vegetables and fruits are the only proper food for man. Strict vegetarians eat no meat, eggs, or milk.  
2. one who eats no meat or fish or (often) any animal products

SOURCE: Websters Revised Unabridged Dictionary

everyone is welcome to eat whatever they choose...  i stopped eating red meat for 5 or 6 years, but didn't really consider myself a vegetarian, since i ate poultry, cheese and eggs.  

labelling yourself as a Vegetarian is a bit misleading if you consume animal products (such as fish, chicken and/or eggs)...  :-/  

this Neo-Vegetarianism is confusing to me with all of its new categories...  Semi-Vegetarian?!  ???  who came up with that one? ::) *lol*

okay, i'll shut up now...  :P

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2004, 06:58:33 PM »
anyway who cares just eat what you want to eat and let others do the same that's what i say.

I agree with that  ;D  

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2004, 06:59:06 PM »

\Veg`e*ta"ri*an\, n.
1. One who holds that vegetables and fruits are the only proper food for man. Strict vegetarians eat no meat, eggs, or milk.  

Over here, the labels are somewhat different.  Your source is American.  Compare it to the Cambridge dictionary:

vegetarian:
a person who does not eat meat for health or religious reasons or because they want to avoid cruelty to animals

vegan:
a person who does not eat or use any animal products, such as meat, fish, eggs, cheese or leather
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2004, 07:01:35 PM »

Samatha you will be glad to know as you are a strict veggie and therefore I presume avoiding rennet there there is a wide range of non rennet cheese available easily available over here so you need not go cheeseless during your upcoming visit.   

http://cheese.joyousliving.com/

here is a link that some of you might be interested in... it lists manufacturer’s brands which use vegetarian enzymes in the cheese making process (rennetless). it also includes lots of links to their websites, as well.   ;D

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2004, 07:04:08 PM »
*passes Britwife a dried Apricot*  [smiley=laugh4.gif]

i'm not picking on anyone here, really...  :-[   a vegetarian is a herbivore[/b], though...  :-/

\Veg`e*ta"ri*an\, n.

everyone is welcome to eat whatever they choose...  i stopped eating red meat for 5 or 6 years, but didn't really consider myself a vegetarian, since i ate poultry, cheese and eggs.  

labelling yourself as a Vegetarian is a bit misleading if you consume animal products (such as fish, chicken and/or eggs)...  :-/  

this Neo-Vegetarianism is confusing to me with all of its new categories...  Semi-Vegetarian?!  ???  who came up with that one? ::) *lol*

okay, i'll shut up now...  :P

i know you're not picking Angel, I am just enjoying a little badinage in the afternoon :)

the problem with the websters definition is that it only applies to half the population "...the only proper food for man" no wonder we all have different ideas about it, this is the first time it has occurred to me that male and female vegetaraians have completely separate definitions !!  [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif]

my loopiest ever vegetarian experience went like this:

Liz walks into sandwich shop ... can't see any vegetarian  sandwhiches on display .. asks girl behind counter if they have any vegetarian sandwiches .. girl thinks for a moment then says "there's no cheese in the chicken roll"  [smiley=confused.gif]

ps yes thanks had an apricot or two now feeling better ...

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2004, 07:17:31 PM »

Over here, the labels are somewhat different.  Your source is American.  Compare it to the Cambridge dictionary:

vegetarian:
a person who does not eat meat for health or religious reasons or because they want to avoid cruelty to animals

vegan:
a person who does not eat or use any animal products, such as meat, fish, eggs, cheese or leather

i guess it would depend on  everyone's personal definition of "meat", then...  :-/

• this is dedicated to the one i love
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2004, 07:50:05 PM »
I too have a qualm with the Webster's definition listed above because though I choose not to eat meat I would never contend that it is the "only proper" way to eat.

I think its difficult when one gets caught up in the labeling, because Im sure that you could take a group of twenty people who call themselves "Vegetarian" and they would all have different eating habits and reasons for eating what they do.  

I am not obsessive about keeping gelatine or rennet (which I actually hadn't even heard of until I went to England, despite having been vege for 9 years!) out of my diet, but still call myself vegetarian for the sake of ease in communication.  Usually I just say "I don't eat meat" if I am able because I just eat what I choose to eat, and don't eat what I don't want to eat.  However, sometimes it is easier to ask at a restaurant "Do you have any vegetarian items on the menu?" or is someone asks "Are you vegetarian?" I find it easier to reply "yes" rather than go into a long discussion about the different classifications and kinds of meat products.

While I was vegan for a year I found it impossible to not use any animal products, or use anything that used animal products, (short of going and living self sufficiantly in the woods) as various animal products are used in the processing of gasoline, photocopy toner, and film processing chemicals.

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2004, 03:41:25 AM »
There are also many brands that have expanded their products and improved quality, such as morningstar farms, boca, and gardenburger.  these are companies that used to just make a bland veggie burger and now make a wide variety of excellent veggie high protein foods that you can get at a regular grocery store.
hooray!

This is soooooooooo true! I love a lot of what "Morningstar" produces including: soy sausage patties, soysage, and especially the Buffalo wings!!! Yum.

"Boca" brand also  makes great soy burgers and bratwurst. My all time vegetarian "meat" is made by "Gardenburger"---Soy BBQ ribs!! :D

I am one of these but there is a technical term for this which is pescetarian but as (a) hardly anyone seems to understand that and (b) it sounds poncey i usually say i'm a vegetarian. i wouldn't say semi vegetarian that to me is someone who eats fish and poultry but not mammals.

Samatha you will be glad to know as you are a strict veggie and therefore I presume avoiding rennet there there is a wide range of non rennet cheese available easily available over here so you need not go cheeseless during your upcoming visit. Can't help on the marshmallow front not something I hanker after myself but if you want jelly (sorry that's what you would call "Jell-O" I think) I have seen vegetarian varietes in health food shops or you can get Agar Agar from Asian grocery stores.

on the gelatine front it is usually pig hooves but the halal and kosher gelatine is cow hooves i believe.

oh dear this is reminding me of a horrible dream i had last night about eating a chicken leg which reminded me of why i gave up meat 17 years ago. bleuch!  

Indeed I have heard of Pesectarians lol :) But I agree, most people would have no idea what the hell you were talking about.

In terms of cheese, I do consume the rennetless sort--but that can be pretty difficult. Nothing would make me happier if when I come to England the packages clearly marked if they contained renet or not. As for veggie jello I definately look forward to trying that as here I have never seen it! :D

cheers,

Samantha***

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab