Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Ask Mr. Nibbles.....?  (Read 12346 times)

Re: Ask Mr. Nibbles.....?
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2004, 10:49:49 AM »
Vote Conservative. And instead of being Bush's poodle, I think Blair should be his pretzel.

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2004, 11:31:35 AM »
Vote Conservative. And instead of being Bush's poodle, I think Blair should be his pretzel.

[smiley=laugh4.gif] [smiley=laugh4.gif] [smiley=laugh4.gif]
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2004, 07:55:33 PM »
Excellent!  He's already got the salty exterior and the crunchy skin, so he's most of the way there

« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2004, 07:57:14 PM »
And now may I ask another question?  I know it's very close to the last installment, but it's something that needs to be answered; I'm sure you'll agree when you read what it is!

Why do men have nipples?

• Banned

• English, living in Lewes, East Sussex
    • Pagination Associates
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2004, 09:46:03 PM »
Mr Nipples - oops! - I mean Mr Nibbles,

Why is it whenever I imagine myself to be voting Tory (or indeed *anyone* voting Tory), I get waves of nausea?  I wonder if the following little medical diagram might help you to visualize the effect:   [smiley=puke.gif].  Is this something I should seek advice from my personal physician about? Or will the symptoms disappear if I actually do vote Tory?

Yours,

Anxious of Lewes.

PS.  With regard to your previous correspondent's question, I have always regarded my nipples as a sort of "this way up" marker.  They help me with my orientation, particularly in the morning after a heavy night at the boozer.  I have found them of very little use otherwise.
Deo gratias Anglia redde pro victoria

« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2004, 10:01:27 PM »

PS.  With regard to your previous correspondent's question, I have always regarded my nipples as a sort of "this way up" marker.  They help me with my orientation, particularly in the morning after a heavy night at the boozer.  I have found them of very little use otherwise.

Brings new meaning to the phrase "Tits up".  [smiley=devilish.gif]

• Life needs to be worked at.
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2004, 11:48:43 PM »
[quote ]
Mr Nipples - oops! - I mean Mr Nibbles,

Why is it whenever I imagine myself to be voting Tory (or indeed *anyone* voting Tory), I get waves of nausea? 

I agree with you howard to vote conservative would really upset my stomach, for anyone to think of something so horrible is unthinkable.

I think we had too many years with Madam Margaret etc etc.
G

• Banned

• Pagination Associates
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2004, 12:20:11 AM »
Brings new meaning to the phrase "Tits up".

Too true, dear Elle!  The navel, as well as being an annoying repository for fluff, is also a useful indicator of direction.  Now, as to other anatomical pointers (particularly one which is often prominent in the morning), you must permit me to maintain a modest silence! [smiley=lipsrsealed2.gif]  [smiley=devilish.gif]   Honi soit qui mal y pense.

Yours,

Prudish of Lewes.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2004, 12:25:27 AM by howard »

• Banned

• Pagination Associates
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2004, 12:59:42 AM »
Mr Nipples - oops, done it again! - Mr Nibbles,

Forgive me for trespassing upon your speculative powers yet again, but I could not help noticing that our friend Nefandous sports as his personal device the Skull and Crossbones, an ensign which I understand is also called "the Jolly Roger".  I was wondering if you could explain to us the significance of the word "Roger" in this context.  Is it, perchance, something to do with the simple but charming pastimes of the oldentimes buccaneers?

I live to learn.

Yours,

Inquisitive of Lewes.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2004, 01:06:38 AM by howard »

« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2004, 04:18:33 AM »
 [smiley=shy.gif]

Er, um, I've probably missed the finer nuances of the Mr. Nibbles enigma, but in case that was a serious question, I looked it up.   [smiley=computer.gif]

Here's the scoop:

The "original" skull-and-crossed-bones was credited to a French buccaneer, Bartholomew Roberts, in the mid 1600s. Various other emblems, such as crossed cutlasses, were used by later pirates.
Pirates hanged at Newport, Rhode Island in 1723 called their flag 'Old Roger', an early 18th century nickname for the Devil. In thieves slang, rogues were called "rogers".

Bartholomew Roberts was nicknamed "Le Jolie Rouge", and in English this was used to refer to the flag, not the man. Another origin may have been that the Jolly Roger was a corruption of Jolie Rougere, a red pennant flown by French buccaneers to show no quarter would be taken. In many parts of the Caribbean, the "Jolly Roger" was the equivalent of a happy face: it meant the pirate ship was willing to take prisoners. The appearance of a red flag, however, signified no prisoners; the pirates would slaughter crew and passengers to a man.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
back

http://www.arrakis-ttm.com/vf-17/jollyroger.html

~Beth
Someday, after we have mastered the winds, the waves, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love. Then for the second time in the history of the world, we will have discovered fire.

Tielhard de Chardin

« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2004, 07:05:38 AM »
Too true, dear Elle!  The navel, as well as being an annoying repository for fluff, is also a useful indicator of direction.  Now, as to other anatomical pointers (particularly one which is often prominent in the morning), you must permit me to maintain a modest silence! [smiley=lipsrsealed2.gif]  [smiley=devilish.gif]   Honi soit qui mal y pense.

Yours,

Prudish of Lewes.

ROFLMAO

• Banned

• Pagination Associates
« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2004, 12:42:51 PM »
The "original" skull-and-crossed-bones

Joking aside, and slipping out of my rôle of being one of those pedantic "Notes & Queries" correspondents for a moment, that really is very interesting research, dear Beth! Thank you very much!

Ah those long-ago days of the salty rovers of the Spanish Main!  You could get a whole boat-load of Rumsfelds to walk the plank for you, to much swigging of Cuban rum [Vnicepeeps, nota bene!], with jaunty jigs played by the one-legged fiddler, much innocent joking and jovial encouragement by your trusty crew, and grateful sharks circling your barque, playful smiles upon their faces!  Such fun, such merriment: when shall we see their like again?  ;) [smiley=pirate.gif] ;D

Howard

« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2004, 03:32:31 PM »

I agree with you howard to vote conservative would really upset my stomach, for anyone to think of something so horrible is unthinkable.

I think we had too many years with Madam Margaret etc etc.

Although I agree with the thought, for I didn't enjoy any of the years we had to put up with the thatcher, this is starting to get a little off topic.  This thread is not a political one; unless of course you're making it in the form of a question ;)

« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2004, 03:36:44 PM »

Joking aside, and slipping out of my rôle of being one of those pedantic "Notes & Queries" correspondents for a moment, that really is very interesting research, dear Beth! Thank you very much!

Ah those long-ago days of the salty rovers of the Spanish Main!  You could get a whole boat-load of Rumsfelds to walk the plank for you, to much swigging of Cuban rum [Vnicepeeps, nota bene!], with jaunty jigs played by the one-legged fiddler, much innocent joking and jovial encouragement by your trusty crew, and grateful sharks circling your barque, playful smiles upon their faces!  Such fun, such merriment: when shall we see their like again?  ;) [smiley=pirate.gif] ;D

Howard

And then of course there was rape, pilage and debauchery!!  Harrrr harrrr Splice the mainbrace!

• Banned

• Pagination Associates
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2004, 03:47:29 PM »
And then of course there was rape, pilage and debauchery!!  Harrrr harrrr Splice the mainbrace!

... and parrots sitting on shoulders squawking "Pieces of eight!  Pieces of eight!"  and other suchlike useful observations!  ...

Sponsored Links