Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Bringing my US GF to UK to marry but...  (Read 705 times)

• Liked: 0
Bringing my US GF to UK to marry but...
« on: July 12, 2007, 01:29:15 AM »
Hey, I want to bring my girlfriend over from the US to marry and have her stay, so I imagine straight off I need a settlement fiance visa. She was in the country from 4th july 06 - dec 8th 06 and left. She came back in febuary only to get refused entry and then sent back to America. Since then we have tried for several visit visas only for all of them to get refused on the basis she wont leave the country aftert 6mths. But now I want her to come here and live for good and get married. I have a full time job, with a flat with suitable accomodation, I just think that her refused entry will count against us. P.s: I'm 21, she is 18.. I have a decent financial background and supported her when she was here the first time.. Can anyone give me some advice? Or realistically tell me my chances.. Thanks

Re: Bringing my US GF to UK to marry but...
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 01:46:26 AM »
Hi,

Has she ever overstayed her visa while staying with you in the UK?  I find that bizzare if she hasn't overstayed but then again we've all come to expect bizzare things from the Home Office

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 01:47:18 AM »
No, she never over stayed. She just got refused entry for lack of supporting documents.

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 02:33:43 AM »
Bizarre, have you guys tried for a multiple entry visa?  I'm not in anyway an expert on this and I know for sure that there are others on here who will be able to give you all the correct info, but my understanding (and please guys, correct any faults here) is that:

A fiance(e) visa would allow her to come here to be married and she would be allowed to stay here a maximum of 6 months during which time she would not be allowed to work or claim public funds.  I think you may need to give some evidence of your relationship however I'm not entirely sure  However, this costs around $1,050 and after marrying (if I am correct) she would either file for a change in status to a spousal visa or would have to return home to apply for this spousal visa.

It may be difficult, especially as she has been sent home/declined entry.  Maybe someone else on here can help clarify this with you.

I am not sure how difficult the multiple entry visa will be given the entry refusal but that would last a few months and would reduce the hassle and questioning at the airport.  Still, this would be a visitors visa so you wouldn't be allowed to be married/she wouldn't be allowed to work while with you.

I'm sorry I can't be of anymore help to you just now but as I said, someone else on here should have some answers to your questions.

Best of luck!

• Doug and Vick
    • Doug Nissley Entertainment
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 05:27:27 AM »
I saw some other posts today saying the fiance visa can be transfered to an FLR(M), the spousal visa, without having to go back to the US. It does cost though.

Good Luck
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 06:10:12 AM by dougniss »

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 06:07:46 AM »
I dont want her to go back. I imagine I am applying for a settlement - unmarried partner visa, or can I get her to come on a visit for marriage visa and then change circumstances.. But I dont think she would get in on a visit for marriage visa because they wont believe she will go back!

• Doug and Vick
    • Doug Nissley Entertainment
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 06:14:06 AM »
Ijust fixed my last post. Sorry I had is sounding like I thought she had to go back to the states to transfer her visa. Here's what I understand:

if she comes on a Visit to Marry visa, she will have to go backto the US to apply for the spouse visa.

If she comes on the Finacee Visa, she can transfer that visa to the spouse visa once you are married, in the UK, for a fee.

Good Luck, I'm trying to figure out the best way for me to handle all this stuff too.

• Paul & Terri O'Neale
    • Special Start Birth
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 09:23:12 AM »
If you want the best advice PM Vicky or Garry, but from other posters on here if you have solid application and she hasn't overstayed, you will probably be ok. But you might want some advice just in case.
Terri P O'Neale

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 11:54:43 AM »
If I were you, I'd go ahead and apply for a fiance visa.

If you guys meet all the requirements of the immigration rules, it is unlikely they will deny a solid application.  there are many people here who have been denied entry/visitor's visas in the past who have gone on to successfully obtain a fiance visa.
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 07:47:13 PM »
Applied for the application todayt, so we just need to wait now. Thanks for your help :)

Sponsored Links