Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: For those who have taken dual citizenship  (Read 709 times)

• Liked: 0
For those who have taken dual citizenship
« on: July 12, 2007, 10:39:34 AM »
My DH and I were talking the other day about my becoming a dual citizen.  He was asking if I would then think of myself as British.  That got me thinking.  Do those of you who naturalized think of yourselves as British or Americans with dual citizenship? 

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
Re: For those who have taken dual citizenship
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 10:47:13 AM »
I don't have it yet (we're working on it). But I don't think I'd ever think of myself as British. I think I'd have to live here a long, long, long time to do that. TBH, I think I'd just think of myself as an American who is fortunate enough to be able to have dual citizenship.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 12:05:13 PM »
We are going to get my British Citizenship someday. I just realised I have been in the UK for officially 3 years now yeah.  ;D  But I don't think I would consider myself British. but like Balmerhon said I think I would consider myself fortunate to be able have Dual Citizenship.  [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 12:28:38 PM »
My DH and I were talking the other day about my becoming a dual citizen.  He was asking if I would then think of myself as British.  That got me thinking.  Do those of you who naturalized think of yourselves as British or Americans with dual citizenship? 

I do think of myself as British -- but i think that's more to do with living here for over 20 years, than actually having a maroon passport which says I'm British!

And maybe it's not *just* the 22 years, but the fact that those 22 years are almost my entire adult life, and for the first 15 years of those 22, i never associated with any other Americans, and due to being quite young, pathologically embarrassed about being an American, and desperate to blend in as much as possible.   :)

**modified to add a couple of other thoughts on this**
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 06:21:21 PM by Q-G »

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 12:35:55 PM »

I have dual but will always think of myself as American. Even if I lived here for 30 years I would never think of myself as British. I am an American living in Britain.

Kind of like living in Russia for many years....it wouldn't make me feel Russian.

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 12:52:39 PM »
I don't plan as naturalising as British, but if I did, I suspect I'd feel like Jules- I wouldn't consider myself British, but rather an American with a British passport.

That's actually quite funny when you realise that strictly speaking, I'm not "American" either.  But since I grew up in America, I do consider myself to be American.  I think that if I had grown up in Britain instead, I would consider myself to be British.  But for me it's different moving countries as an adult- my identity is pretty much already formed, so I don't think any number of years of me living in the UK is going to change that.
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 01:31:14 PM »
I have a slightly different perspective on this, as I was born a dual citizen (born in US to UK citizens). I grew up in the US, UK and Belgium, so my nationality has never been something that has been as strong as I see in many people. I do consider myself mostly British, but for the 12 years I've been in the States, I've been decidedly American as well.

I prefer to think of myself as just a good world citizen.  ;D
- Matt

• http://gingajoy.blogspot.com
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 03:16:34 PM »
I've been in the States for 15 years, got married here, and had my boys here.  I consider myself very Americanized, and wish I had got my act together to get citizenship before the whirlwind of landing a job in the Uk, etc.  I feel "American" in some ways.  I would like to vote, I am more invested in the political process here than in the UK, I have roots here, and a real home. I say "tomAYto" ;-)
But...
I do always think of myself ultimately as British, and I think my Husband, who is about to go through the same experience in reverse, will likely always think of himself as American.

I do wonder about my 5 yr old, though.  Interesting:)
http://gingajoy.blogspot.com

yes. it's a bloomin' blog.

• Dharma in the Dishes
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2007, 03:26:50 PM »
I just got my British citizenship, so haven't really had time to know how I think of myself. I'm an American in many ways, but don't feel as connected to America as I used to. (Been here five years). Even though I haven't even got it from IPS yet, I'm already thinking of my UK passport as my primary passport and my US one as the second one. Maybe because I've had to work so hard to earn it.

Is there such a thing as Anglo-American?

• Conservative for the moral good of mankind
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007, 08:51:20 AM »
I've just received dual citizenship as well and people do ask me if I feel British.  The answer is no. I think Q-G mentioned it correctly.  I think if you grew up here experiencing life at an early age you might be more inclined to feel "British" as those things have just become normal.  Adolescence is about shaping your adulthood and those experiences count for a lot. We might not ever know anything else or how to do something a different way.  Having moved over as an adult all my experiences in childhood and some of my adulthood have been American so I will probably consider myself American with dual nationality.
"Be completely humble and patient, bearing with one another in love"  Ephesians 4:2

"All that is necessary for evil to win the world is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2007, 10:06:38 AM »
I am Canadian and British and consider myself both and neither, if that makes sense. I grew up in Canada, but the bulk of my adult life has been over here (so, 2/3 of life in Canada and 1/3 in UK, approximately).

I think sense of identity is shaped by so many things: for me, having been away from Canada so long does not make me feel less Canadian, but my identity noe includes feeling British. I think it has been a slow and ongoing process: partly, lack of regular exposure to Canadian things and knowing very, very few Canadians here. I am not sure how I'd feel when we return to Canada permanently, though there are no immediate plans.

That being said, when I first arrived, I never intended to stay more than a couple of years and definitely, I had no intention of naturalising. Funny that.   

Sponsored Links