Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How do we renew our visa's to stay in the UK. Can someone help please.  (Read 682 times)

• Liked: 0
Hello Everyone.   

Sorry I know I haven't posted on her much but, I have once or twice a while back.  My son and I moved to the UK March of 06.  Of course our visa's expire in March of 08.  What do I do.  I obviously want to be prepared on how to renew our visas when the time comes.  Am I going to need a ton of money and how do I renew our visas or better yet what do we do.  I think it's so unfair that when they send you your visa's back they don't send any information on how to renew them.  Can anyone possibly give us a hint as what we are up against, and what we need to do...  We are in the UK on a Spousal Visa, and my son is here on a Settlement Visa (I know basically the same thing but....)

Please can anyone help me.

Thank you.

you won't really be renewing your visas- you'll be applying for a different one.  Indefinite Leave to Remain, to be exact (ILR), which is a permanent visa that allows you to live and work in the UK, well, indefinitely!  When you apply, you'll need to provide proof that you've been living in the same house as your British spouse/partner for the last two years, in the form of mail addressed to both of you (seperately or jointly) that covers that entire period.

There are *tons* of threads on ILR and ILR applications on this board, so you should find some if you do a search and/or dig through some old threads.  Your son can be included on your application (as long as he is still under 18 when you apply), and the fee is £750 if you apply by post (more if you apply in person).

You'll also need to pass the Life in the UK test, which is required of all ILR applicants (minor children are exempt though.) 

You can apply for ILR 28 days before the 2-year anniversary of your arrival in the UK- no earlier, but of course you must apply before your visa expires.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 12:01:01 AM by andrea. »
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/

It's too bad we can't make this link a sticky for people.  It answers a lot of questions for people wondering how to go about applying for that next visa from within the UK.  Although the website itself can be confusing, do some digging there under 'Applying' and you'll find different application forms for different purposes, but you should find what you need there.  Don't hesitate to ask questions if you're not sure which application you need.

This is sort of a general 'you', not just to the OP; this web-site has a lot of information about prices and forms, guidance notes, etc. for applying for a visa if you're already in the UK.   :)
UK resident since 2005, UK citizen as of 2010 due to female British parent.

• Liked: 8
Click this link for my experience:  http://www.freewebs.com/lola_us_uk/ukilrinfo.htm

Note that I applied in 2005 and that the fees are higher now!

• Banned

• Liked: 4
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/

It's too bad we can't make this link a sticky for people. 

It's on the Wiki.

Vicky

It's on the Wiki.

Vicky

I hang around here on a semi-regular basis, and can't find the wiki.   :-[   I can see on the front page things that have been recently edited, but where do I find the actual wiki??
UK resident since 2005, UK citizen as of 2010 due to female British parent.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab