Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Pro & Con between life in UK & US  (Read 55265 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Pro & Con between life in UK & US
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2007, 06:44:39 PM »
I know this topic comes around every now and then, and while I think it’s difficult to generalize since there are vast regional differences as well as personal opinions, it helps somewhat to get a general idea of what to expect.

We’re trying to make a similar decision, and figure out which country will work the best for us. Currently, we’re in the Midwest in the US, but we’ll be moving to the Northeast shortly (I’m going to grad school there). We like the idea of living in the Northeast, but it’s relatively expensive by American standards. Then there are some things about the US that we don’t care too much for, so we’re also considering the UK and Canada. Not that those would be any less expensive, but it may outweigh some of the benefits. Some of the things we like are:

- Summers that aren’t too hot, but still allow you to get in the water without freezing
- Decent, reliable public transportation
- Participate and watch sporting events (yes, that’s mine)
- Cultural and ethnic diversity
- Opportunities to travel
- Ability to buy a decent house
- Good for raising children (we don’t have any yet though)
- Salaries and cost-of-living that allow us to do most of these things

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2007, 07:12:58 PM »
When I first moved over here, a shower was a rarity in houses - you had to get them installed as most houses (and ours was a relatively new house then) weren't built with them. So I guess the attitude was a bath went a long way; given the costs of heating the water, taking a bath everyday is extravagant (and Americans tend to view baths are more of a pampering experience than just a getting clean experience). So if you are used to showering everyday (and some people more than once a day), yeah, the whole not bathing daily would be a little odd. I wouldn't say this is as much for the younger generations, but for older people. I'm sure we've all sat next to the old man on the bus, have we not?

Just out of curiosity, how long have you lived over here? Maybe it depends on the part of the country and type of houses nearby, but the majority of houses in my area were built 30-40 years ago and I think most of them had basic showers installed when they were built. Obviously homeowners have had more modern ones installed since then, but I've been taking showers several times a week and sometimes daily here in the UK for almost 25 years - as a result, I've never heard of showers being a rarity here during the last 20 years or so. I do agree though, that the older generation are more likely not to bathe everyday due to the way they were brought up.

After working in a shop for the last 11 months I would have to say that teeth here are generally worse than in the U.S.  Not as extreme as movies make it out to be, but still worse.   

I know that there are people who don't take care of their teeth here, but I've never thought of that actually being a stereotype to people from abroad. It's not so much that dentists are crap here, it's that the people you see with bad teeth are too lazy to take care of them properly. If I see someone with awful teeth, it doesn't automatically make me think that we have terrible dentists here, it makes me think 'why don't these people ever go to the dentist?'

Those of us who brush regularly, go to the dentist every few months, get braces if we need then and take oral hygiene seriously don't generally have bad teeth. It freaked me out when I had a roommate in my first year of uni and I only saw her brush her teeth once every couple of weeks (and we had a sink in our room, so it's not like she was doing them in the toilets or anything) - yuck!

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2007, 07:30:39 PM »
Oh totally.  I think it is the person.  If you are missing four front teeth and not older then you should do something like dentures. 

On the other hand, I go to the dentist every six months and have horrible genes for the teeth.  My mom has terrible caries and my dad had bad gum issues and they floss, use a waterpik ect. 

So in general I think, why don't they get something done about it?

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2007, 08:15:38 PM »
Oh, no!  Not this old chesnut again! :-\\\\

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2007, 08:20:53 PM »
Oh, no!  Not this old chesnut again! :-\\\\

And initiated by a troll, methinks.  *sigh*
Hollywood, CA -> London, UK 2004
London, UK -> Long Beach, CA 2007

Best 3 1/2 years of my life!

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2007, 08:27:08 PM »
And initiated by a troll, methinks.  *sigh*

Thats what I think too, and wondered why everyone got so worked up!

• An eagle swooped down from a semi-trailer
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2007, 08:27:24 PM »
Just out of curiosity, how long have you lived over here? Maybe it depends on the part of the country and type of houses nearby, but the majority of houses in my area were built 30-40 years ago and I think most of them had basic showers installed when they were built. Obviously homeowners have had more modern ones installed since then, but I've been taking showers several times a week and sometimes daily here in the UK for almost 25 years - as a result, I've never heard of showers being a rarity here during the last 20 years or so. I do agree though, that the older generation are more likely not to bathe everyday due to the way they were brought up.

Our house was built in 1996, with no shower. Some of our neighbors still don't have a shower installed. We live on a council estate. Showers are a lot more common now, don't get me wrong, but it's not ingrained in the culture the way it is in the states, especially a daily shower.

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2007, 08:32:01 PM »
My flat doesn't have a shower. My husband installed a tap with a shower hose attachment (purchased at a DIY store) in the tub.

• tenez dessus fortement sur vos rêves
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2007, 08:51:51 PM »
 i have a shower daily and brush my teeth twice daily, look  ;D dont they look good lol

its a far better thing i do than i have ever done

• It's 4:20 somewhere!
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2007, 09:29:57 PM »
hey! nuthink like a good old daily spray from the 2-for-a-quid can of deodorant. And we always have lots of seats on the public buses (well I always get a seat). As I don't smile (ever), I save heaps on toothpaste as well.

I agree about the price of fuel. Maybe that's where we's gone wrang, maybe we should've call it gasoline.
Still tired of coteries and bans. But hanging about anyway.

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2007, 09:39:15 PM »
I had a brand new bathroom installed in my house -- without a shower.  I just prefer baths.  It has certainly never occurred to me that it was an extravagance or 'pampering'.  I just like it better.

• Sweet home Chicago!
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2007, 09:52:14 PM »
watch yourself, there, boyo -- sounds to me like the OP is a chicagoan, and there's enough of us on here to keep you in dog poop for a long, long time!  ;D :P

You are so right.;-)
Chicago-->NYC-->Chicago-->UK-->Chicago

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2007, 10:11:28 PM »
I had a brand new bathroom installed in my house -- without a shower.  I just prefer baths.  It has certainly never occurred to me that it was an extravagance or 'pampering'.  I just like it better.

Aye, but we ken yer weirdy  ;D.

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2007, 10:16:25 PM »
Yes, my husband was kinda dirty when I first met him, but now he scrubs up real good!  And I checked his teeth before we got married up.
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2007, 11:52:09 PM »
 [smiley=laugh4.gif]

Sponsored Links