Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Hello, I'm new here and wanting a bit of advice  (Read 438 times)

• Liked: 0
Hello, I'm new here and wanting a bit of advice
« on: July 16, 2007, 10:09:32 PM »
I posted this in the "Welcome Wagon" but thought posting here maybe beneficial:

Hello,
 This forum is really a great find for someone who is considering a move from the US to the UK. I'm glad to have stumbled upon it.
 Long story short, I studied in London during my junior year of college and couldn't wait to go back, so I prepared to study there again during law school. I applied to and got into a program at a London law school, but my own law school wouldn't certify the program for me, so I didn't get to go. This is something that has bothered me for the past 3 years.

So now I've graduated from school, have passed the bar examination and am practicing law in St. Louis. However I still can't shake the feeling that I want to move back to England. I have been doing some preliminary research and think that I could qualify through the HSMP or through my fiancee (will be husband as of 1 September) as it seems he qualifies for an Irish passport through ancestry.

I guess my main issue is employment. I'm not married to the idea of continuing to practice law in England, I would actually like to work in the non-profit or public sector if possible, and am hoping that my experience in pro bono law would help. I would love to get any advice on the following:

1) Anyone else on here a lawyer that came to the UK and sought employment? What were your experiences (also I do domestic relations law, not SEC work or privitization or any other thing that will allow me to work in a big firm practicing US law..not that I'd want to)

2) Does anyone have any familiarity with the HSMP and is it really just a matter of qualifying on the "points system"?

3) Has anyone come over on an EU passport that they obtained through ancestry dual citizenship and how difficult was it to obtain?

4) How much money do you think we would need to save beforehand to make the transition easier upon arrival (living in or around London)?

Thanks!
Jayne

• Banned

• Liked: 4
Re: Hello, I'm new here and wanting a bit of advice
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 12:31:18 PM »
I am VERY familiar with the HSMP, and it can eb a pain.  If the docuemntation you have isn't absolutely perfect, you will be refused, there is no room for negotiation.

If your soon to be husband can get an Irish passport (through an Irish born grandparent I assume) then this will be easy for you.  However, it takes a very long time for this to come through, as there is a massive waiting list for irish citizen applications from the US>

Vicky

• Liked: 0
Re: Hello, I'm new here and wanting a bit of advice
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 03:50:24 PM »
Thanks Vicky,
 I appreciate the advice!

Sponsored Links