Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Chances of getting HSMP?  (Read 314 times)

• Liked: 0
Chances of getting HSMP?
« on: July 18, 2007, 07:05:33 AM »

I am a US citizen, with a BA, currently beginning my fourth year of studying for a PhD. I made upwards of $30K in the past year, and am (significantly) under 27 years old.

As far as I can tell, according to the downloaded HSMP Guidance form I've looked at, I have accumulated 80 points (counting 30 for the BA, not 50 for the PhD, as it is not yet completed; 30 for earnings; 20 for age).

I understand there's no way to really predict this, but assuming I were to apply now for the HSMP, would my chances be good at all? Would they increase significantly once I have the PhD?

My income will go down significantly (possibly to $0) in the next few years if I choose to continue with the PhD (that decision is up in the air right now), as I will be devoting all my time to the dissertation and will likely not be working. Is there any sense of whether the income vs. education sections are weighted more strongly? Or are they essentially equal in importance, so the PhD would make up for the lack of income?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

c.

Re: Chances of getting HSMP?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 07:45:42 AM »
I'm not sure how you arrived at 30 points for earnings, because the most you could earn if you make somewhere between $30-40K is about 5-15 points.  To get 30 points for earnings, you'd have to make $60K+.

With that in mind, you definitely don't qualify for HSMP now (unless that $30K is a typo and you really make $60K!).  If you got your PhD while still under 27 and you maintained a salary of at least $30K you'd qualify under the current scheme, but the whole system is going to siginificantly change at the end of this year/early next year and no one really knows what the critieria will be for the HSMP equivalent in the new system.  You're probably best off waiting until then and then re-assessing.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 07:51:09 AM by andrea_m »
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

Re: Chances of getting HSMP?
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 07:50:58 AM »
Ah, of course. Pounds, not dollars. My mistake.

Sponsored Links