Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Fiancee Visa--what's the intrvw/process like?  (Read 5007 times)

• I'm eating paste!
  • Liked: 0
Fiancee Visa--what's the intrvw/process like?
« on: November 12, 2002, 12:56:40 PM »
Hi everyone,
Newbie here with a few questions. I am going to be applying for a fiancee's visa in about a month in NYC. Can anyone tell me
1. what the interview process is like? Should i be scared (like I am right now).
2. what should I say about how I have been working remotely in London (for a NY company) while visiting my fiance? Should I keep quiet? If I do, how do I explain themoney I have in the bank?
3. About how much money looks ok to have to prove we wont go on the dole? $2000? $5000?
4. I don't think I will be able to get my resume from the computer it is on before I go to apply. Will this be detrimental?
5. My fiance won't be able to come with me. I know I can get a letter of support from him, but I feel funny taking his passport with me--what if I lose it? Is it ok that I copy the whole thing, or do they not like that?

I guess I could go on, but these are the major questions. Thank in advance for the help!
km
People should fall in love with their eyes closed. Just close your eyes. Don't look. --Andy Warhol

• I'm eating paste!
Re: Fiancee Visa--what's the intrvw/process like?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2002, 12:57:58 PM »
soory, I should have said about the money that that is savings--my fiance has a job and all, but I want to make sure we have savings for them to see if he loses his job he won't have to go on the dole...
km
People should fall in love with their eyes closed. Just close your eyes. Don't look. --Andy Warhol

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2002, 03:36:05 PM »
Hi everyone,
Newbie here with a few questions. I am going to be applying for a fiancee's visa in about a month in NYC. Can anyone tell me

Hi and welcome!  Congratulations on your engagement!

1. what the interview process is like? Should i be scared (like I am right now).

Do you know for sure that they will be doing an interview?  If not, you may want to contact the NY consular's office and enquire under what conditions they require an interview.  It seems more often they just want you to present them with the documentation they want and they don't necessarily always want an interview.

2. what should I say about how I have been working remotely in London (for a NY company) while visiting my fiance? Should I keep quiet? If I do, how do I explain themoney I have in the bank?

If the company you work has been having you do work in London then I see no reason to keep quiet about it.  Since you weren't living here, it seems it would be quite easy to say you were here on a business trip for your company.  People travel on business so it seems legit to me.  I would think that it would seem more helpful to show that you have business contacts here, which would make it seem that you have more job opportunities here.  As for the money, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone being asked where they got their money from.  I'd be really surprised if they asked you.

3. About how much money looks ok to have to prove we wont go on the dole? $2000? $5000?

This, it seems, is a matter of different consular's offices doing things differently.  Many here who have gotten their visas through the UK Embassy in LA have said that they've gone in showing several thousands of dollars in the bank and being told that it may not be enough.  I, personally, and several others, got our visas through the consular's office in Chicago and they didn't look twice at how much money I had (which was a good thing for us as we had very little money).  I know Peedal and I think a couple others have gone through the NY office for their visas, and would be better experienced to tell you what happened with them.  If you've got money in the bank, it can't hurt.  If your fiance is working, then that will work in your favour too.

4. I don't think I will be able to get my resume from the computer it is on before I go to apply. Will this be detrimental?

It may be.  I know I was told they wanted to see a copy of my CV when I applied for my visa.  

5. My fiance won't be able to come with me. I know I can get a letter of support from him, but I feel funny taking his passport with me--what if I lose it? Is it ok that I copy the whole thing, or do they not like that?

On this one, I have no idea.  I think it may be better to take the actual passport with you.  Just make sure you keep it with yours so it doesn't get lost.  Perhaps put a rubber band around both of them so they stay together. ;)  Just a suggestion.  I really have no words of wisdom on this one.  

I guess I could go on, but these are the major questions. Thank in advance for the help!
km

Hope this has been SOME help km!  I'm sure others will add their voice of experience here as well.  It is nerve racking, but if you take in all the documentation they require and your confident in your position, you should do great and walk out with your visa!  

All the best!

• Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2002, 03:49:13 PM »
Just a quick note on your fiancee not being with you.  You do need his pass port, they won't accept a copy.  This really freaked me out as well, but it has to be done.  Do what Elle suggested and keep it with yours.  I was more nervous about losing his than I was mine. :-/  The letter of support is a joke.  My husband felt really insulted and used word for word what they had in the list of instructions for what needs to be in the letter.  It was literally two sentences long, I'm not sure they even read it at the time, they just want to see it is there.

Best of luck!!

P.S.  I went through the Chicago branch
'Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.' - Emerson

• I'm eating paste!
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2002, 07:49:35 PM »
Thanks elle and Glasgow-girl! It's amazing, I didn't realize how alone I felt in this process until I thought to come back to this site! Again, thanks to you both.

As for my job situation, I am a freelancer (ie I am not a salaried employee) at an old company of mine and have been working on a website project for them. I am not in London specifically for this job, and so when I spoke to a lawyer about the spouse visa process a couple months ago, she said if I am here in London as a visitor (which technically I am) I shouldn't be doing work. But in any case, if they don't ask where the money comes from, then I don't have to worry so much, do I?  ;D

I was under the impression that everyone had to be interviewed--I have called the NY office a couple times to get opening times, etc., and they have never said (in the automated message) that you _don't_ go through one. Anyone out there gone thru the NY office, and what should I expect?

I guess I will have to look for (or re-do) my CV. As we americans say, "Crap!"

Again, it's been a big help, but anyone else have any advice for me, I welcome it!
km

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2002, 08:42:25 PM »
Everyone's experience is different, but as elle said, I went for a Fiancee Visa through the NY Consulate in September of this year, so here's my 2-pence-worth:

First off, they didn't seem overly concerned with Phil's financial status - took the copies of his bank statements, but had no interest in his invoices and deposit slips showing payment of said invoices.  He's self-employed, so we agonised over the proof we would show that he could support not only the two of us, but also my two boys!  And they barely glanced at it!

I didn't have to do an interview.  Phil wasn't able to come (for the entire, gut-wrenching store, look for the thread titled "For Those Who are Still Interested...").  I had his passport - however, I had been informed that a copy of every page of his passport, with each page notarised, was acceptable.  I would, however, suggest taking his original passport.  At the very least it means you know he can't leave change his mind and leave the country before you get over there after going through this ordeal!!!   ;)

I also wasn't asked for a CV.  Difference between mine and elle's situations is that she was applying for a "Spouse" visa and I was applying for a "Fiancee" visa.  Quite frankly, thought it might be a problem because I didn't have mine on me and couldn't have fashioned one in the time frame we had - but no one asked about it so it didn't matter.  My feeling is, you can't work on the Fiancee Visa anyway, so what should your employability mean?  They assume that every couple is a two-income household - yet they expect you to be able to be one-income from the time you enter on the Fiancee Visa until you get married and get your FLR back from Croydon!

The letter of support is a joke - but highly necessary!!  And also proof of a place to live that is "appropriate." Again - seems to be a judgment call on the part of the Consular Official, because we were going to have to stay with Phil's parents until we found a place (5 adults and 2 kids in a 3-bedroom house!) and they seemed okay with the letter from his father.  (Turned out that we were able to move into our own place the day after the boys and I returned from NY - but no way of knowing that when we applied.)

In addition to the letter of support from Phil, we also had his best friend - who had met and gotten together with me and my kids - write a letter to "substantiate" the relationship.  They took it without comment - didn't hurt, I'm sure!

I took photos of us together and Phil's receipts from his flights to the US - they weren't interested.  They did get a slight amusement from looking through the March 1985 issue of Smash Hits wherein his ad for a penpal that I answered was published... ;D

All in all, it was an easy process - except for having to wait for  paperwork from Gatwick - but that is a whole other thread!!!  ;)

Any other questions - feel free to PM me!
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2002, 01:39:52 PM »
They did get a slight amusement from looking through the March 1985 issue of Smash Hits wherein his ad for a penpal that I answered was published... ;D

LMAO  You two rock my world!  lol  That's so cool you took that too!

• I'm eating paste!
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2002, 02:38:36 PM »
Thanks for your comments, peedal   :D I would 'PM' you but I don't know how to!

As for bringing immigration stuff they won't appreciate,  I plan on bringing one (of many) photo albums, with at least 200 pictures in it. I don't think they will go thru it all, do you?  ;)

• You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2002, 01:24:31 PM »
Elle - I felt kind of old, though, when the guy behind the desk said his older sister had a subscription to Smash Hits, not him...!  At least he didn't say his "maiden aunt" or his mother!!

::)

km - my advice is to take MORE than you think you should - because the one thing they'll want to see will be the one thing you thought was too silly to bring   ;)
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2002, 02:14:59 PM »
Elle - I felt kind of old, though, when the guy behind the desk said his older sister had a subscription to Smash Hits, not him...!  At least he didn't say his "maiden aunt" or his mother!!

Awwww {{{{{{{{{Peedal}}}}}}}  Don't feel old, hon.  I've been told I'm not allowed to feel old so that means everyone else my age too! ;)

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2002, 02:25:00 AM »
HOw much have these visas cost..i checked the chicago website and they dont have a specific price for fiancee visa..any ideas?

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2002, 04:44:50 AM »
It's not a constant cost though because it depends on the exchange rate... haven't paid for one yet (will be in a month!) - but isn't it arounf $400 or something?
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• I'm eating paste!
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2002, 11:11:13 AM »
Just got back from SUCCESSFULLY getting my fiancee visa--YAY!--and I can tell you in new York I paid $429
:o
for it at the current poor exchange rate. So yes, it is a drain on the checking account.

A helpful hint--in NYC they didn't take personal checks, and the credit card machine was down, so if I had to do it again I would have withdrawn a load of cash beforehand, and have been prepared when I got there, because I ended up having to leave the building, go to the bank, get back in the queue for security for the building, and then get back in the queue to pay. It took FOUR AND A HALF HOURS. Torture. Bring a book!
--kelli

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2002, 02:50:11 PM »
Congratulations kelli! :) Bet thats a load off the mind!
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• I'm eating paste!
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2002, 04:12:12 PM »
Definitely a load off my mind! I thought I would be denied--worrysome thinking, really. Good luck with yours!  :)

Sponsored Links