Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Opening a bank account in the UK....  (Read 2737 times)

• Liked: 8
Opening a bank account in the UK....
« on: March 16, 2004, 06:26:08 PM »
Has anyone encountered any trouble in opening a bank account in the UK?  I've been here for nearly 6 months and have proof of my residence.  Is it possible to get an account in my own name, or is it easier to be added onto my husband's account?  Which banks are the best with regard to setting up new accounts?

I'm planning on starting work soon and I'd like to have an account for my paycheck to visit!  :-)

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
Re: Opening a bank account in the UK....
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2004, 06:54:49 PM »
Everyone's experiences have been different.  Our bank let my husband add me onto his account.  Others haven't been so lucky.   :-/
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• Philadelphia, PA to York in 2000
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2004, 08:12:50 PM »
My husband's bank let him just add my name but that's a Scotland based bank. That's where my paycheque makes a brief appearance.

I opened my own account at HSBC (to do trans-atlantic transfers mostly) after being here only a few months without much hassle but they would only give me a Solo card instead of a Switch (both are debit cards but stores won't take Solo to pay for stuff...they'll take Switch, usually). But then again, I'm not keen on our HSBC so I never use the account anymore.  :-/

• Back again
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2004, 12:15:55 AM »
Hi Lolabola,

I did not have any problems opening up an account with HSBC last year. I called the bank, explained who I was and my situation (spouse of UK citizen), and then asked what documents I needed to open up an account. From what I remember I had to bring:

1) 3 months of bank statements from my account in the US (I had them mailed over as they wouldn't accept a fax)
2) Passport and ILE visa copies which they made themselves
3) Hubby as a valued customer for 10+ years (he seems to think this influenced their decision to give me not only a checking account with Switch but also a Mastercard--all without a job and only being in the country a few weeks). I'm not too sure if it was his continued patronage that swayed the doors open or not.

Good luck. I would advise calling the bank ahead of time, explaining your situation, bringing hubby with you if it's his bank, and bringing in the required documents.

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2004, 08:37:54 AM »
I got a switch, cheque book and possible 5,000 pound loan  ::) upfront with HSBC with no prior connections.  I just went in, explained that every other bank was only wiling to give me a cash only card, and they put my details into the computer.  I may have had a bank statement from the US, but it certainly wasn't three months worth.  They seem to go more off your current financial status rather than any possible credit rating.
'Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.' - Emerson

• Living in England and loving it
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2004, 09:17:42 AM »
I got an account with HSBC as well....in fact they gave me a £500 overdraft limit and a credit card with a £2000 limit...all with no proof of income or credit history...and my husband has always been with Barclay's....all I showed them was proof of residency and my passport....I can tell you I was totally shocked....especially with the credit card...that would never happen in NY.....at least not in Albany NY    ::)

• Well House Consultants - PHP Courses
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2004, 09:39:23 AM »
We're with HSBC and have found them much more flexible than most - I don't recall Lisa having any problems getting added to my account that was already there, nor opening her own account. Our mortgage is with them too - they came good when other more "pile 'em high and sell 'em cheap" outfits refused because we didn't quite fit their mould.

The icing on the cake?  We get on very well with the team at HSBC, and I understand the mortgage is actually a rather good deal.  Talking with a financial rep the other night ... he looked and said "don't even consider moving that".
-- Graham
Well House Consultants - Open Source training
Well House Manor - Hotel in Melksham, Wiltshire

• JennyI
  • A Stranger in a Strange Land

• Obamarama
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2004, 06:02:02 PM »
I tried HSBC as I have all my accounts with them in the US. I even had a letter of introduction from HSBC back home. I thought that would make me somewhat worthy of opening an account but they could not have been less helpful. They were not interested in answering any of my questions so I went down the street to Halifax, where my husband has his account and I was able to open a current account, in my own name. They were as nice as could be. They would not give me a credit card for awhile but I was able to talk them into it after we went to see them about a personal loan. They gave me the card even though I was temping. I have nothing but praise for Halifax. Sorry to dampen all the success stories about HSBC.
Good things come to those who wait...a really long time.

• Philadelphia, PA to York in 2000
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2004, 09:17:41 PM »
Sorry to dampen all the success stories about HSBC.

You're not alone Mrs Kev. I wish I had one of the success stories with HSBC that everyone else seems to have but I too have had nothing but grief when trying to deal with them. I've given up. When I opened the account, I took in all my bank statements from the US (which had a sizeable sum in them....at the time!  :P) and said I was going to want to transfer it to them and they were still unhelpful and unfriendly. So much so that I wrote a letter of complaint, which got ignored.  :-/

I guess it really just depends on the branch of whatever bank you try. I've been thinking about closing my HSBC with £0.12 in it and open a new one at Halifax and I've known people who are really pleased with their service.

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2004, 08:56:03 AM »
I think a great deal depends on the branch. (HSBC fan here.) I love our two locals, but then it's like being in Cheers...except they don't yell out "hi Norm" when they see me; that would be too bizarre.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab