Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Grocery Deliveries....do I tip the driver?  (Read 3283 times)

• Liked: 8
Grocery Deliveries....do I tip the driver?
« on: March 26, 2004, 12:27:49 PM »
I've never had groceries delivered before, and we're testing out the local ASDA on Monday.  I asked my husband if I am supposed to tip the driver, and he says it's not expected.  I'm not so sure about this--seems like people tip less frequently here in the UK than I'm used to.  Does anyone tip delivery drivers?  If so, how much?

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
Re: Grocery Deliveries....do I tip the driver?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2004, 12:32:56 PM »
I ordered from Tesco a couple times and never tipped and didn't get any dirty looks! I did feel odd though, so I too would be curious to hear what other folks have to say.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2004, 01:44:11 PM »
I have been having groceries delivered for a couple of years now and it has never occurred to me to tip the driver! (prob cos I'm British) You already pay a delivery fee with most supermarkets. Tipping over here is not expected except in restaurants, maybe cab drivers (but usually they are so expensive anyway I don't do that any more) and it used to be the practice to tip your hairdresser for some reason, I don't do that now but I know my mum still gives a £1 to the junior who washes her hair before she gets it cut. If you have your daily newspaper delivered it is usual to give your papergirl/boy a small cash gift at Xmas. Can't think of any other time tipping would be expected here but I doubt if anyone would refuse a tip. No I lie, there are a ocuple of times Stu has treid to tip bar staff here but they wouldn't take it.  Some people might see it as an insult.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2004, 02:13:05 PM »
We get ours from Tesco as well and the last time I did tip the guy £1 and he seemed pretty happy and thanked me a lot so I'm guessing they don't get them often. There's certain people I think deserve the tip...those poor pizza/take away delivery guys on the bikes...i always tip them just because I feel guilty standing there in my PJs while they're out there in the rain and cold bringing me MY food! lol  

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2004, 02:56:04 PM »
I feel like I'm "throwing money away" very frequently here.  I'm always after my husband to tip cab drivers and I'm obsessive about the 15% in restaurants, 10% in hair salons, etc.  I guess Americans tip more frequently?  If so, people must LOVE to see me coming!  :-)  

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2004, 03:33:19 PM »
My kids used to go mad at me for tipping the bartender in the pub, and to be honest I've received the few odd looks from the bartenders. themselves when I've done it (Dad! you're not in America now!) Now if I like the service I just tell em "here, buy yourself one". Tipping seems to be a foreign concept over there at times and even the person you're tipping sometimes looks at you as much to say ???.......I just figure everyone's got to eat so.........
« Last Edit: March 26, 2004, 03:34:42 PM by CeltictotheCore »

• Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2004, 03:38:12 PM »
I about freaked out when hub did not tip the bag concierge guy at the airport hotel.  He did not seem grumpy but still...I was like..you should tip him....

V confusing!
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2004, 03:42:51 PM »
Cuts both ways though, when I've had family and guests over here and we've gone out I've had to tell em to pony up! This guy's not pulling pints because he hopes hollywood'll discover him someday :P

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2004, 03:54:10 PM »
Yep...I go into the long explaination of how most are paid very little and the tip helps cover the lack in salary.  That usually works....though some still grumble about it though. :)
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2004, 07:18:37 PM »
I hadn't thought about it, and to be honest, I saw the title of this tread and purposely didn't read it for a few days for fear everyone did tip the driver ("you don't? d'oh!") and then I'd feel just horrible! But, I braved up, saw it wasn't the case, got relieved a bit, and then figured, well, why not? I tip other folks, why not these guys who frankly do a lot more, and more politely, than others?

Okay, I had to laugh. I hate typos, but I decided to leave this one. tread=thread - makes me sound so Irish!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2004, 07:20:45 PM by Lisa »
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2004, 11:40:04 PM »

I always tip on both sides of the ocean  ;D

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2004, 03:50:20 PM »
I've been getting grocery deliveries for a couple of years now from all the major chains and never once did I get the impression that they would accept tips.  In fact, I can recall one of the websites specifically saying that drivers did not accept any money at all because this might be a security risk.  I expect they are all the same in that respect!

• tebs
  • AmericanTexBrit

• Portrait and Wedding Photographer
    • Murakami Photography
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2004, 06:25:58 AM »
I have to tip for services, I feel so bad if I don't. I have converted hubby to be a decent tipper as well, he'd never before tipped the chinese delivery, or pizza delivery, etc,,, but now he even makes sure to leave a tip for the maid when we are at hotels, and I confess, I had never thought about doing that before.   ;)

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2004, 06:14:38 PM »
UPDATE:

The ASDA delivery arrived on Monday afternoon.  The driver was a woman (!), and she was incredibly flustered as she'd be "overbooked for the afternoon".  I went to help her unload the truck as it was obvious that she was overwhelmed and in a hurry, and she just didn't get it.  Why would I help her?!?!  I guess I was being too friendly.

When we'd gotten everything inside, I asked her if she'd accept a tip.  She said she wasn't supposed to.  I said, aw, go on and take it.  So she did.  :-)

I think I wanted to tip her because she was a woman and because she was having a bad day.  I wonder if I'll tip a leisurely, underworked, deliveryMAN next time!  ;-)

Sponsored Links