Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Jobs!  Jobs!  Jobs!  (Read 2350 times)

• Liked: 1
Jobs!  Jobs!  Jobs!
« on: November 12, 2002, 06:54:56 PM »
As noted in my introduction post, I will be moving sometime in Spring next year.  One of my biggest concerns is finding a job!  My husband should have no problem; however, I am mainly worried about myself.  I have a Bachelors degree in Marketing with a minor in MIS (computers).  I will have about 2 years experience in Marketing when I leave the US.  I highly doubt I will have a job lined up for me when I get there.  How long did it take you all to find a job in England when you got there?  Was it hard?  Any advice I would LOVE!!! to hear.  I guess I am a tad bit worried because I am an American, and I have an American degree (as does my husband)  Thanks!
Tracy [smiley=worried.gif]  

Re: Jobs!  Jobs!  Jobs!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2002, 06:59:11 PM »
A degree is a degree no matter where you are, so I don't think it will be a problem with prospective employers honoring that.  I think it depends mostly on where you want to work, what kind of job and salary you're looking for and things of that nature.  Patience, it seems, is a requirement.  It took me about 2 months to find a permanent job and I found it through an agency.  Or rather, I should say it found me through an agency.  But then I'm a legal secretary and secretaries are about a dime a dozen.  

I did a lot of research and ads watching before I came over here to get a feel for what the market was like and what I could expect.  It was helpful.  

All the best and good luck!  I'm sure you'll do great!

• Garden Butterflies
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2002, 07:26:07 PM »
Tweir,

I hear the best advantage for jobs there is to go through an agency...  and be very very patient...

I do not have a degree, which worries me...  but I do have 8 years experience at NASA as a CMS analyst...  Not sure how many satellites they are flying from Northern England...  so it looks like I will be taking whatever is offered me  :-/
Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2002, 06:04:04 AM »
If you are willing to/planning to commute into London for work, you will find agencies that specialize in the Marketing field.  That would be your best resource for jobs, but don't entirely rule out other or more general agencies.  The wider you cast your net, the more likely you are to find a good positon quickly.  The West End and Soho are where most of the media/marketing jobs are found.  They are both interesting places to work.  If memory serves me, I think trains from Kent come into Charing Cross Station, just south of these areas.

I worked as a PA in London, had two degrees, but no previous experience as a secretary.  I had a job two weeks after completing a 6 week training course at a secretarial college in Kensington.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2002, 03:03:38 AM »
I started looking for a job well before i got there and landed one as soon as I did. I rounded up all my connections and found one that had a London based office.. put the bug in someones ear that i was moving there and magically an offer came my way as soon as i went and met them in person. Its an American based company which i am sure made it an easier sell on my part but I am still relieved that I am not worried about finding work.  The best thing is even though it is an American company i still get the stellar vacation package and they sent me back to Santa Barbara for training for a week.. nice one!  got to see home for a week.. :)  I would try and see if you know anyone who works for a company with a london office or uk office and see if anyone you know back in the states can help you in that way.. worked for me.
California winters are a thing of the past..

Sponsored Links