Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK journalism  (Read 2559 times)

• Banned

• Damn it, Spock, breathe!
  • Liked: 0
UK journalism
« on: November 16, 2002, 09:28:15 AM »
I'm getting really sick and tired of the constant America-bashing on BBC News 24 and in "The Times." After listening to two Brit commentators on the BBC saying Britain should stop following the States on everything (and insulting Tony Blair), and reading countless insulting columns about Americans in the Times, I just sent the BBC this on their news comment link:

"This comes from an American living in Britain: Why is the British press so relentlessly anti-American? And why is the journalism so ridiculously biased here when it comes to reporting on the Israeli/Palestinian situation? (Israel always bombed someone--your big live update. Hours later, you'll briefly mention WHY. I'm not Jewish, but anti-Semitism still rings loud and clear in Europe--you'd think you people would have learned. And you WONDER why the U.S. backs Israel. I think history shows Europe sure as hell won't).

I don't agree with all U.S. policies, I don't like Bush, I think attacking Iraq would be rash, and I'm not a redneck, gun-toting American. But I DO have a journalism degree, regularly read the Washington Post and New York Times, and am stunned at the poor quality of journalism here. I dare the BBC to let an American regularly give an intelligent U.S. point of view on a news show. I'd be happy to volunteer. (You can't even get your facts straight about the States: For the record: Miami isn't the capital of the state of Florida: Tallahassee is. The state of Maryland isn't pronounced "Mary-land." (I could go on and on with the constant factual errors about the States that pop up on your news programs, but I'll spare you the embarrassment.)

The majority of Americans don't carry guns, aren't frothing at the mouth to put people to death, aren't any less educated than your typical git on the streets here (in fact, we spend four years at university, vs. your three, and it's not because we need that extra year to meet Brit standards), etc. I could go on and on, but I'll leave it at that. And given how the British press works, and how much more important it is to cover "serious" issues like Paul Burrell's relationship to the royal family, I doubt I'll get any intelligent reply. But I AM forwarding this to every American I know here, and every remotely intelligent Brit. The saddest part of it all is that Americans honestly admire Brits, a nation of xenophobic racists that hold not only the U.S., but every other country, in contempt, it would seem. How quickly the Brits (and the rest of Europe) have forgotten just which country saved their independence. Believe me, historical facts aren't lost on Americans... What ingrates."

Harsh, I know. But enough's enough.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2002, 09:33:01 AM by Suzanne »

Re: UK journalism
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2002, 02:45:10 PM »
You may get hung for that one Suzanne but I think it was BRILLIANT! :D

Glad to see an American not ashamed of their country trying to appease the in crowd like they do on some other ex-pat boards! ;)

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2002, 04:35:42 PM »
Suzanne,
I've lived in America. Don't tell me that U.S broadcasters are less susceptible to bias than British. Also, don't confuse anti-Israeli with ant-semitism. Ariel Sharon is a proven war criminal as countless bereaved Lebanese will testify. Religion has nothing to do with it and there is less anti-semitism in this country than any other I can think of. Four years of university education was clearly not enough for you, because your level of ignorance is astonishing.

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2002, 05:11:56 PM »
Oh...And there was nothing xenophobic at all in your irrational rant was there?
We haven't forgotten the part the U.S played in the last war. Nor have we forgotten the greater part played by the Soviet Union. >edited for offensive language by moderator<
« Last Edit: November 16, 2002, 07:00:21 PM by 12yearsandcounting »

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2002, 06:25:07 PM »
..... The saddest part of it all is that Americans honestly admire Brits, .......

Please don't pin the attitude of a few journos at the Times and BBC on the whole of the UK.  Most British are not that way, and feel more warmly towards Americans than they do towards interfering busybodies in Europe.

Much of the media in the UK is notoriously left-wing/ anti-American in its view, sadly, and not at all in tune with the man on the street.  The BBC has a long history of providing a platform for various activisits to spout their cr@p without evening seeing the need to provide a balanced view point, or if there is an advocate for the opposing view the presenter ridicules them and everything they say.  :(
Richard

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2002, 11:14:12 PM »
I've found a lot of anti-americanism in the journalism here as well, but i've found just as much that isn't. Lots, in fact, that support americans and complain about their anti-american peers as well. I cut out those articles, and I've got quite a collection.

The thing that gets me though, about british journalism, is how many spelling errors the Guardian still gets through their editors! :D
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• I hate Mondays too!!!
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2002, 04:26:28 PM »
".... I'm not Jewish, but anti-Semitism still rings loud and clear in Europe--you'd think you people would have learned. And you WONDER why the U.S. backs Israel. I think history shows Europe sure as hell won't).

.... The saddest part of it all is that Americans honestly admire Brits, a nation of xenophobic racists that hold not only the U.S., but every other country, in contempt, it would seem. How quickly the Brits (and the rest of Europe) have forgotten just which country saved their independence. Believe me, historical facts aren't lost on Americans... What ingrates."

Harsh, I know. But enough's enough.

I normally do not react to posting like this but I will make an exception to this one as you are right, enough is enough.  I have a hard time understanding why the "opinions" of the BBC, only a part of the British journalistic world the last time I looked, have all of a sudden made the whole of Europe such bad people.  As a Belgian, not a UK citizen, I take quite an exception to the statements made and strongly suggest that you try and find out a bit more about the people in Europe before making those statements.

It is quite interesting that the you are now guilty of the same thing you are complaining about.  Anti-European attitude combined with a lack of knowledge on the subject.

And about the "What ingrates" comment.  [smiley=doh.gif] Enough said!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2002, 04:27:23 PM by Belgian_Beer »
Dial 0800-HELP-SPOUSE when in need (members only)!

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2002, 05:28:53 PM »
gun-toting American.

WOW, I didn't know I was a redneck!  Last time I checked my gun permit it said I was from New York.  ;D

Suzanne have a couple of shots and take it easy.  Every news organization is biased whether you're talking about CNN (Clinton News Network) BBC, ABC, CBS, NBC (all very much to the left w/democratic views) and FNC (which leans to the right and republican).  So it's not just BBC.  I hear people who have visited the states and watch our news and say it's like no other country exists except the U.S.  So you're gonna have it no matter where you go.  And yes, there is a lot of anti-american sentiment but there's also a lot of anti-european sentiment back home as well (e.g. Europeans all they want to do is constantly talk it out, they have their heads up their as*es, etc.).

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2002, 10:00:32 AM »
Whoa!  Whoa!  Whoa!  This is not, I repeat NOT turning into a debate on US gun control.  UK journalism is one thing, but gun control is not appropriate for this forum.  You'll have to take it somewhere else.  
This topic is now locked.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2002, 10:01:30 AM by 12yearsandcounting »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab