Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What is DH?  (Read 7407 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: What is DH?
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2007, 03:17:54 PM »
I think this sums up how I feel!

glad I'm not the only one! :) or would that be GINTOO ;) LOL. (hee hee)

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2007, 03:26:20 PM »
I don't like text speak on forums like these or on email.  It just looks so stupid.  I do, however use it for texting.  I'm a slow texter and sometimes my messages are quite long.

When I email Mike I will type out "I love you" and don't ever abbreviate that.
Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2007, 06:54:38 PM »
It's because your'e a newlywed. When you've been married for years you'll text "I'll be home at 5. Have dinner ready"  ;D

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2007, 06:56:14 PM »
I thought I was the only one who found it silly.  I can't imagine referring to my husband as "darling husband" in conversation.   ;D

We call each other "darling." And, surprisingly for us, it's not meant sarcastically!  :-[
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2007, 06:57:29 PM »
I call people darling all the time... just not my DH.   :)

« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2007, 08:04:15 PM »
It's because your'e a newlywed. When you've been married for years you'll text "I'll be home at 5. Have dinner ready"

:D
Married October 2007

« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2007, 08:39:50 PM »
It's because your'e a newlywed. When you've been married for years you'll text "I'll be home at 5. Have dinner ready"  ;D

so true [smiley=laugh4.gif] [smiley=laugh4.gif]

• Banned

• Damn it, Spock, breathe!
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2007, 01:39:58 PM »
Along with a lot of you, I find the use of acronyms such as DH and MIL to be incredibly annoying (although I've used MIL occasionally). Just how much effort does it take to spell the words out? Or do you have a Bill Gates-like schedule in which every second counts?

• Liked: 4
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2007, 02:18:24 PM »
Along with a lot of you, I find the use of acronyms such as DH and MIL to be incredibly annoying (although I've used MIL occasionally). Just how much effort does it take to spell the words out? Or do you have a Bill Gates-like schedule in which every second counts?

Yes, I have a Bill Gates-like schedule in which every second counts. 

DH is an easy shorthand way of referring to my husband without using his name or typing 'my husband' every single time.  Same with MIL, FIL.  What's the big deal?   ::)

• Banned

• Damn it, Spock, breathe!
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2007, 03:10:50 PM »
Of course your schedule is nowhere near as busy as Bill Gates' is. Shall we try to call his secretary(ies) or personal assistant(s) to find out? The bottom line is that constantly using acronyms and abbreviations on the Net stems from sheer laziness (please be sure to complain about me to a moderator now, rather than directly address me in a PM--take the coward's way out).

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2007, 03:12:17 PM »
Suzanne, are you OK? I'm only asking because you've seemed very angry over the past day or so.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2007, 03:14:29 PM »
Of course your schedule is nowhere near as busy as Bill Gates' is. Shall we try to call his secretary(ies) or personal assistant(s) to find out? The bottom line is that constantly using acronyms and abbreviations on the Net stems from sheer laziness (please be sure to complain about me to a moderator now, rather than directly address me in a PM--take the coward's way out).

And you know what is another thing that no one is to busy to do?  BE NICE. Try it. 

« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2007, 03:17:02 PM »
Every second counts in *everyone's* life.  That has nothing to do with how rich we are.
Married October 2007

• Liked: 4
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2007, 03:26:12 PM »

I have no reason to complain about you to a moderator.  But I was being facetious with my comment.  Sorry I forgot the  ::).

« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2007, 03:30:47 PM »
I don't use DH, MiL, DS, etc, because my first exposure to them.  I was new to the internet, and most online communities were email groups and usenet at that time.  I signed up for one on sustainable living, and somehow I stumbled into a world where women didn't have an identity outside their relationships.  Instead of real names or internet nicknames, they signed all their emails stuff like "Proud wife of Jacob. SAHM [Stay at home mom] to Ezra, Rachel, Rebbecca".  They all used those abbreviations, and when I see them, I think of those women from that list.  

I agree that privacy is a huge issue.  For years I just typed out 'my husband' or used his internet handle if it was known to the people to whom I was talking.  From my participation in a community that recaps and critiques television shows (I don't know if it is against the board's policy to mention the name, so I won't), I picked up the habit of saying Mr. (my nickname).  It works for me, but I can see it being annoying.

I don't have any problems with anyone else using DH or whatever, but I have a huge problem with using it myself.

ETA:  Plus, the one sure way to set Mr. Moggs over the edge when we are having a "discussion" is to call him dear or darling (or hon for that matter).
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 03:35:13 PM by Moggs »

Sponsored Links