Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Fresh NM green chile in the UK!  (Read 7600 times)

• Odd Duck
  • Liked: 1
Fresh NM green chile in the UK!
« on: November 02, 2007, 09:37:59 AM »
Green chiles! I found fresh green chiles! ;D ;D ;D

We got our boxful of chiles this week and roasted them last night. Rellenos are on the menu for the weekend and I've got a couple of bags of beautiful green chiles in the freezer!  [smiley=smitten.gif]

The place is South Devon Chilli Farm, and they're brilliant. They gave me a substantial discount for ordering a large quantity and sent extras to boot. Really nice guys to deal with.

[mod note: edited to fix url]
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 12:09:27 PM by Cait »

Re: Fresh NM green chile in the UK!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 01:34:59 PM »
I've heard of these guys before, but never looked at their website till now... mmmm... chilli chocolate!  :)

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 02:43:29 PM »
Yes, they're quite well-known in these parts and get mentions on TV food shows a lot!
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 02:47:51 PM »
aren't they the ones that grow tomatillos as well?

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 03:13:40 PM »
I don't eat a lot of chilies, so have never tried growing them myself, but I have friends who grow tons in their greenhouse! It can't be that hard, can it?
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 05:13:00 PM »
i grew some last summer!  Just little red birdseye chillies.

• Regalriket
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 07:15:28 PM »
Ooooh, thanks, I just went on there and ordered 10 units of the meaty New Mexico ones (very small freezer, alas).
If you don't know where you're going, it doesn't matter what road you take.

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 08:39:06 PM »
I posted about them ages ago as they sell at the local farmers market here in Plymouth.

They really are great people. I get my poblanos from them every year and the chili chocolate is perfect for tossing into chili to round off the tartness of tinned tomatoes. 
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Regalriket
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2007, 08:50:21 PM »
By the way, how much do you order to qualify for a discount and extras tossed in?  For what I paid for the 10 units, I could have bought a couple major sacks AND had them roasted in Albuquerque.  :o

• Odd Duck
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2007, 11:36:29 PM »
By the way, how much do you order to qualify for a discount and extras tossed in?  For what I paid for the 10 units, I could have bought a couple major sacks AND had them roasted in Albuquerque.  :o
Well, I wanted to order at least a couple dozen chiles, and when I emailed them they said they could do 20 (chiles, not units) and quoted me a price for that. So that was what I ordered, although they ended up sending me more. I got the impression that they didn't really have any set policy. :-\\\\ They did tell me that they're not really set up to deal with the kinds of quantities that New Mexicans are used to!

Maybe if we ask nicely they could grow a few more next year?

• Regalriket
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2007, 08:56:21 AM »
Okay, I didn't think to call them, but as they said there were about 2 peppers to a unit and I ordered 10, maybe they'll send me extras as well.

As for asking nicely, heck, I'll get down on my knees and beg if it would help.

What is your batter recipe for rellenos?  I actually saw a restaurant in Greenwich recently who offered rellenos, but they mentioned that they poached them in broth - now I ask you, poached?  Eeeewwwww.

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2007, 09:11:49 AM »
Are the Hungarian Hot Wax the same as what Americans call Banana Peppers?
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

• Odd Duck
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2007, 09:32:10 AM »
Okay, I didn't think to call them, but as they said there were about 2 peppers to a unit and I ordered 10, maybe they'll send me extras as well.

As for asking nicely, heck, I'll get down on my knees and beg if it would help.

What is your batter recipe for rellenos?  I actually saw a restaurant in Greenwich recently who offered rellenos, but they mentioned that they poached them in broth - now I ask you, poached?  Eeeewwwww.
Eeeewwwww indeed! :o

I've only made them once, but this was the recipe I used. I thought the batter was a bit thick--they ended up really thick and puffy, not quite how I like them. I'll let you know how they go tonight. :D

Chiles Rellenos

#  4 large green New Mexican chiles, roasted and peeled, stems left on
# Cheddar cheese or Monterey Jack, cut in sticks
# 3 eggs, separated
# 1 Tb water
# 3 Tbs flour
# 1/4 tsp salt (add some pepper?)
# flour

Make a slit in the side of each chile and stuff the chiles with the cheese sticks. Dredge the chiles with the flour. Beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Beat the yolks with the water, 3 Tbs flour, and salt until thick and creamy. Fold the yolks into the whites.

Dip the chiles in the mixture and fry in 1/2 inch of oil, flipping once, until they are a golden brown.

Notes:
Makes enough batter for much more than 4 chiles. Try sprinkling with cheese and broiling.

• Regalriket
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2007, 02:14:00 PM »
Sounds good and I'm thinking some nice green chili sauce as well to smother them with.  Gosh, I've been jonesing for green chili for some time now, after a friend sent me a bag of the Chimayo red chili powder so I can do some smothered burritos.

Ooooh, and chopped fresh roasted green chili for a breakfast burrito this week.  Oh gosh, I'm trembling with joy.   ;)

• Regalriket
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2007, 09:37:46 PM »
I just had to come back here and post.  After a problem with the South Devon people, I got my box today and man, I have been roasting chiles like nobody's business!  The problem was not really their fault.  I ordered on a Friday night, November 2, and paid via PayPal letting them know in the comments section not to send it to my billing address as I was going to be house-sitting in Greenwich for 8 days, so please send it to my office address, gave the address.  Tuesday came, no chile, Wednesday, nada, so by Friday, I was pretty annoyed and I wrote to them, asking what the **** was going on.  No response, but I wrote again on Sunday, when I got back home to find that there was a postal delivery slip showing an attempt to deliver on the past Tuesday, so I'm afraid I fired off a rather stiff e-mail.

Yesterday, 9 a.m. I got a phone call at work from them, apologizing, explaining they were having problems with the comments on PayPal, and offering to send me a new batch, which they did, arrived today.  Lovely, meaty, plump New Mexico chiles, yay!  No time to make anything since I'm going home to Sweden on Thursday, but at least they are roasted, peeled and in the freezer for later.

The gentleman did tell me they might be cutting down the number of plants next year, because they didn't seem to be as popular as some of the other varieties, but I assured him that if they were good, I myself would be placing a major order and I mentioned (not by name) this site and the discussions here about their business.  I also have other friends in Sweden that are missing New Mexico chile and they've told me if I make a major order next year, they will fly down here, help me roast and freeze and take stuff back with them.  So if you're interested, it might be nice in the spring to let them know you want to place a good-sized order as well.  ;D

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab