Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: In Memoriam of 9-11  (Read 5321 times)

• Banned

• Damn it, Spock, breathe!
  • Liked: 0
Re: In Memoriam of 9-11
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2002, 07:08:52 AM »
mfredericka,

I know exactly where you work. I went to Maryland, used to go to Bennigan's and Jasper's, not to mention the lake there. I've lived there, Beltsville and College Park. Small world.

I think the toughest thing about September 11, as an expat, was not only aching about the devastation, but wishing you were in the States (I'm from D.C.--the Pentagon attack hit me as hard as the WTC one did). To be here on the anniversary brought that same feeling back. In my lifetime, September 11 has been the most significant thing to happen to the States. But I wasn't even in the country to know how everyone there dealt with it, and I don't have American neighbors next door.

One of the nicest things about the date, both this year and last, was the fact that my mother-in-law came by with flowers and a card saying she knew how painful it must be to be an out-of-country American, that she felt for me, my family, and every American citizen, particularly those in Britain, and that justice would be served. Bear in mind that we're not close, generally speaking. But my husband and his parents were as outraged as anyone about it, believe me.

Anyone, enough about that. I just wish everyone would consider the pain and fear of all the people on the four planes, and in the Pentagon (there are MANY people still in hospital care for third- and fourth-degree burns from that, but no one seems to know it), instead of thinking only the people in the WTC suffered.

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2002, 04:23:54 PM »
Yes Suzanne, you are completely right there...  grant it WTC was a higher mass of destruction...  but the pentagon and all 4 planes were also filled with people...  people that were used as human explosives...  it seems as though all of them are pushed aside when it comes to talking of 9-11, which a lot of us around here are not happy about...  Thankfully though Bush started out the day of anniversary at the pentagon and then in PA where plane went down...  A plane also filled wth many hero's...  it has been found through tapes that the target for that plane was actually the capitol building.

be assured Suzanne and others that may be from the Balt-Wash area, the pentagon victims as well as the plane victims are never forgotten...  you just do not hear it on the news often...  

Michele
Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

• En Vino Veritas
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2002, 05:27:35 PM »
I have to say I had never considered the lack of coverage in regards to the Pentagon or the 4 planes before. I'm not saying it's not true, I had just never really thought about it.
2 of the flights of Sept. 11th have in one way or another affected me and people I care about very deeply. A member of our research team was scheduled to be on Flight 93. I remember 9/11 and the 5 agonizing hours spent as an office full of people waited and prayed. I worked for a Biotech in clinical research and all of our people fly from hospital to hospital checking on patients, clinical trials etc. We spent the first 2 hours locating employees - only to come up one short. Our travel dept would later confirm they believed our co-worker (and friend) was on Flight 93. It would be 5 gruelling hours before we found out she had rescheduled her own travel plans the night before, to stay at a hospital an extra day. I remember the sigh of relief in that office mingled with the guilt that so many of us remained unscathed.
It would be a week before I would learn a former co-worker and his new wife were on Flight 11. They were headed to LA for a job meeting/vacation. Though I never met either of them personally (he was a voice on the phone, a joker on emails) my best friend knew them both very well and was devastated by the news.
I actually failed to attend a memorial service last Wednesday... I spent the day on the phone listening to her grieve. I now believe it was exactly where I was supposed to be that day.
It's hard watching the footage, even harder when you can associate an individual(s) with the actions and events you see.
Though in no way shape or form should the passengers of those 4 airlines be forgotten, nor the loss of life in the Pentagon be overlooked, there is only reason I can think of that the images of WTC are so often used more than any other regarding that day. When it comes to the twin towers; we couldn't fight back and we can't rebuild it.
The passengers of Flight 93 had a chance to fight back to take some small amount of control. The Pentagon still stood after the attack and would one day be made whole, (certainly not the same, but that symbol of our military wouldn't be completely taken from us).
The terrorists took the World Trade Center from us that day, and we couldn't stop it. We couldn't fight back and the loss of life was unthinkable.
Americans are many things... but most of all they are survivors and we don't like to lose. The NY skyline will forever be altered and to look at it now is to remember what’s missing, what was taken from us, a symbol of that horrible day, if you will. I would venture a guess that's why WTC seems to get more coverage.
I don’t in my heart believe that Americans have forgotten the other victims of that day. If anything I’d like to believe they can look at the Pentagon and think to themselves, ‘You tried to destroy this too, and you failed.’
I’d like to think that Americans can hear the phrase ‘Let’s Roll’ and think for one moment, ‘You almost got away with your entire plan, but you underestimated Americans, and you should NEVER underestimate an American.’

Anyways… that’s what I’d like to think for what it’s worth.
You're a daisy if you do........

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2002, 09:23:54 PM »
I'm not going to be very good with words on this topic. I just had to poke my head in and say that you all awe me. And you, Yvonne, you are my hero.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• NYState_of_Mind
  • FAMILIE, GOD & VADERLAND! Zonder de een heb je niet de anderen!!

• Never forget what it MEANS to be an AMERICAN...
    • Uncover Fahrenheit for what it is
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2002, 10:00:58 PM »
Thanks LisaE I'm touched by those words but in no way am I that.  It just comes from my heart and soul.  I make it a priority to thank all those who serve and protect this nation even if it's just a smile.  

Suzanne, I'm am really sorry you feel that way.  Because here in New York we focus on everyone we have lost not just WTC.  Our school district/town/county honored all those who have perished.  Just the other day I watched Alan Jackson sing at the Pentegon.  Todd Beamer's infamous words "Let's Roll" has been painted on many of the FDNY's firetrucks.  All flights all events will be forever etched in our minds and hearts.  It saddens me that you feel this way.  This attack struck the core of America.  Our town lost three people and the Town of Rye lost 7 (one of whom was on Flight 77).  A close friend of our family, a nephew was in the Pentegon at the time of the attack.  I am in no way trying to change your mind those are your feelings but I can bet my LIFE and my AMERICAN CITIZENSHIP that when people think about 9/11 it encirles all events that took place not just WTC.  No life is more valuable than the next from the attacks of September 11, 2001.  They will all be remembered and honored.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2002, 10:27:12 PM by NYState_of_Mind »
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile--hoping it will eat him last."Forgiveness is up to God. I just hope we hurry up the meeting." 02.08.03, Gen. Schwarzkoph It's the SILENT MAJORITY that COUNTS not the LOUD MINORITY that CONSTANTLY WINES! http://www.leftnuts.com/images/fu_marines1.jpg
www.protestwarrior.com Proud Member of the V.R.W.C.

• NYState_of_Mind
  • FAMILIE, GOD & VADERLAND! Zonder de een heb je niet de anderen!!

• Never forget what it MEANS to be an AMERICAN...
    • Uncover Fahrenheit for what it is
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2002, 02:34:20 PM »
Didn't know you were speaking from a Washingtonian's point of view.  Diminish the horror and terror, it will never be diminished - at least I hope not.  Because if that day ever does comes (and I hope it never does) - that's when we should worry...
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile--hoping it will eat him last."Forgiveness is up to God. I just hope we hurry up the meeting." 02.08.03, Gen. Schwarzkoph It's the SILENT MAJORITY that COUNTS not the LOUD MINORITY that CONSTANTLY WINES! http://www.leftnuts.com/images/fu_marines1.jpg
www.protestwarrior.com Proud Member of the V.R.W.C.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab