Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: So, here I am.  (Read 757 times)

• Love Exile
    • stoat
  • Liked: 0
So, here I am.
« on: April 08, 2004, 05:30:19 AM »
I fell in love with a Brit, 3 years ago.  Immediately began trying to move my life to the UK...although she would have much preferred to move to the US, unfortunately we have outlawed gay relationships for the purpose of immigration so that was impossible.  Hence, I gave up my career, my family, and my country to be with her.  "The inconvenience was temporary, the improvement was permanent," is what I like to say about it.  I would no more have given her up, than I would have cut off my right arm.

The move scandalized my family and effectively ended my career as a freelance classical french horn player in the States.  And because of British immigration rules concerning "entertainers," I could not work in my profession while I was here for 2 years on a student visa, even though I was studying music.   ::)  Thankfully, I now have a proper Unmarried Partner visa and can work without restrictions...but only in the UK, as the EU has not yet "harmonized" with regard to gay partners.  So at present, whenever we travel outside Britain, I only have "visitor" status with the ensuing restrictions.

Fortunately, my gf is a very successful opera singer, so we don't have to worry about money.  Still, though, I miss playing with other people, am currently looking for work as a musician, and I hope something will turn up soon.

Enough about my career travails.  I love it here in the UK, and even more so on the Continent.  This move was the best thing I have ever done for myself.  I do miss my family and wish I could see them more regularly--especially my mother, who is not in good health--but even so, I would not change my decision if I had to make it again.  I am happier here, with this woman, than I have ever been in my entire life.

I did find the move very stressful, but wouldn't admit that to myself, and as a result I ate and drank loads and I put on a lot of weight.  I am happy to say that I took it off over the past year, but not without a huge amount of effort.  ::)

Emily
« Last Edit: April 08, 2004, 05:32:00 AM by tholian8 »
~Emily

"It is one thing to say that our feet do not know they are feet.  It is quite another thing to say that they are illusions."  --Ernest Holmes

• Life needs to be worked at.
Re: So, here I am.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2004, 05:41:33 AM »
   Well emily i glad that things have worked out for you and wish you all the good fortune in the future, with a job and whatever you endevour to do. ;) :)
G

• Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2004, 05:45:43 AM »
Well welcome Emily and I hope to hear more about your life.  Nothing that is worth it is easy they say.  I'm truly happy that you have found a place where you can be happy and I wish only the best as you seek to play more.

I look forward to your posts.

The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2004, 08:54:19 AM »
It takes a lot of strength to leave a life behind for something relatively unknown...knowing you're going to be facing hardships from the beginning, and perhaps for a time to come. I have to admire the people on this forum who have also done such a thing. I found your story particularly poignant. Thanks for sharing.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2004, 12:00:18 PM »
So glad you've joined our little family here!  We are very pleased to have you!  :D
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2004, 02:05:29 PM »
Hi there!  Welcome to UKY!

I'm sure a lot of us who have moved over for love can relate to your story.  Many of us have gone through similiarly hard adjustments.  I personally have never doubted my decision, and it is by far the best thing I've ever done but that didn't make it an easy adventure!

Anyway, we're glad to have you here and I'm looking forward to more of your posts!  Oh and hey, you live very near me! I'm in NW9 and I believe you're just up the road a bit from us.  :)

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2004, 04:41:57 PM »
 Hiya Emily and welcome to UKY  :) I would just like to add my admiration for  you having such strength in a difficult time right now.

I wish nothing but the best for you and your love,and hope we get to meet her as well  :)

Rhia

• Banned

• English, living in Lewes, East Sussex
    • Pagination Associates
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2004, 08:15:46 PM »
May I add my welcome, too?

Do you and your girlfriend ever come down to Glyndebourne?  It's only on the other side of the hill from us!  Do let us know if you are ever down this way!

With my very best wishes,

Howard.
Deo gratias Anglia redde pro victoria

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2004, 08:58:40 PM »
Welcome Emily. This is a great site so you should find lots of good info and friends.  :)
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2004, 09:00:34 PM »
Hi Emily...welcome to UKY. :)

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2004, 06:09:48 AM »
hey emily, welcome

i'm so glad things have worked out for you!   My bf and I have encountered the difficulty ofwork visas for musicians as he is a music major and a guitarist...i'm trying to get out thereso he doesn't lose his connections and his big juicy panto gig every winter...lol.  welcome to the site, girl
Take a month and show some kindness for the folks who thought that blindness was an illness that affected eyes alone.    --maya angelou

• Burlesque Dancing Yogini
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2004, 12:26:54 AM »
Hi Emily!  :D
Lived in Cheltenham, England> 2003-2004
Lived in London, England> August 2005- April 2009
Back home in Brooklyn, NY since April 2009

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab