Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: NI Gray Area?  (Read 1065 times)

• Love Exile
    • stoat
  • Liked: 0
NI Gray Area?
« on: April 09, 2004, 03:29:23 PM »
I'm really not sure what to do about this....

I have an Unmarried Partner visa, which gives me the same working rights as a marriage visa.  I understand that I need an NI number to work, and that my employer is supposed to give me a temporary one and then it's my job to have the interview, etc.

Here's where things get sticky.

I'm a classical musician and although I haven't yet worked in Britain, my employment is almost certainly going to be a string of short-term freelance jobs, lasting perhaps six weeks at most, with many lasting only a couple of days.  Music employers typically can't be arsed with the paperwork (which is how a lot of music students, technically forbidden from working as "entertainers" on their student visas, manage to do it anyway--but I was a very good girl and I didn't do that).

Because I had a very unusual type of student visa (music students' private-tuition exemption, it's pretty rare), all I was ever issued with was the visa stamp in my passport.  No other paperwork.   ???

I suppose I should be considered "self-employed" at this point, but I'm not starting a business, don't have anywhere near £200K to invest, and don't intend to employ anybody besides myself.  

I am just dreading having to go to some interview and explain all this to a civil servant.  I feel like a criminal even though I know I've done nothing wrong.  In fact, I'm even beginning to wonder if it wouldn't be worth it to just grit my teeth and sign up for some secretarial work through temp agencies, even though I would hate it, just to get this crap processed through in some sort of expeditious manner.

Anybody know where I could get some help or advice with this type of problem?  I've tried other musicians but they all seem to have been enrolled at a school when they were students, so they didn't have this particular issue.

Emily
~Emily

"It is one thing to say that our feet do not know they are feet.  It is quite another thing to say that they are illusions."  --Ernest Holmes

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
Re: NI Gray Area?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2004, 12:43:38 AM »
Emily, you have a right to apply for your NI number if you are simply looking for work.  You don't have to start working first.  I never even had a temporary number - I had my legitimate number months before I ever even got my first temp job!  But I was making a serious effort in looking for work and was able to prove it at an interview.

True, the NI interview was more *intense* than the interview for my Fiancee Visa or anything we went through at Croydon extending the Fiancee Visa and then getting the FLR(M).  But I was lucky and had a really nice guy do the interview.  He filled out the paperwork with my answers and took copies of everything and was really very kind in general.

Call your local Job Centre or Department for Work and Pensions and tell them you want an interview to get your NI number.  And don't back down - with all you've gone through so far, I'm sure convincing them of your right to the interview and the number won't be a problem!   ;)
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2004, 08:04:33 AM »
I was never really exactly sure of the purpose of having that interview. I was never asked about work or if I intended to have, or already had a job. All they wanted to do was ask about my visits and then take a copy of each page of my passport. It seemed to be more about me coming and going rather than staying and working. Very odd.

But the most surreal thing was feeling I was the only <insert kinder word than I had originally typed in here> person there. Everyone else was queuing for their weekly benefits and I think the person interviewing me was happy to sit and natter with someone not there for the money.

But yes, do phone, make an appointment (it sometimes takes weeks) and go. Having the card is just one of those process things that has to be done. That and registering with your local surgery to get an NHS card are both things you can do yourself and best to have them in place so there's no panic at the last minute when you do need them.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2004, 02:43:30 PM »
I'll chime in on this, too. My NI interview was long but painless. I actually can't even recall any huge difficulty except I went to the wrong office first. I was in a small town so only had to wait about a week. You are legal here and when you explain the nature of your work, hopefully things will be OK. If you can show the variety of freelance musician work available, that may help, too.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2004, 03:35:45 PM »
Hi Emily, I thought I would share my experience in hope that you will feel a bit better. My interview was painless. In fact I didn't even consider it an interview rather a process. Basically the woman that I had the appointment with went through the long document line by line with me and she wrote my information down. I think they do that to ensure that the form is filled out properly. (Not sure if they do that in every office). While I live in Reading, I was sent to the Bracknell office. It was a breeze and I got my card in a week. I remember telling my husband that it was the easiest thing I had done since I arrived about 8 weeks prior. You should have no worries....you are here legally...case closed.  ;)  Remember your statement "Unmarried Partner visa, which gives me the same working rights as a marriage visa". There you go.  :D  All they want to do is get you set up with an NI.

Keep us posted!

Julie

• Philadelphia, PA to York in 2000
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2004, 10:21:11 PM »
It's sounding like I had the worst NIN process so far!  :(

I tried calling to get an interview before I was eligible to work (fiance visa) but when I finally got through, the mean lady told me I couldn't have an interview because I didn't have my FLR.

So when I got my FLR and was looking for work but no offers yet, I called again. Even meaner lady said no, I had to actually *have* a job to get an interview. I tried to press her by saying I was told that I could get one as I was actively looking and would probably have a temp job very soon. This made her more cranky and she barked at me that I was told wrong info and practically hung up on me.  >:(

After I finally got a job, I called again ready for action. Took me 2 days to get through on the phone only to be told I had to fill out my application and send it in. Fine. Did that. Weeks went by. Months went by. I called again only to be told that they were still processing applications dated 4 months prior to when mine was sent.  :o

Finally got an interview some 7 months after sending my application only to be grilled and treated like a criminal trying to weasel my way to the country or something.  [smiley=sad2.gif] No one warned me that I had to memorise every school I ever went to, the dates, the addresses and the names of my teachers!! What's THAT all about????

Not a fun experience at all and I'm soooooo glad I don't have to do it ever again.  :D

I would go with the others suggestions and just press them for an interview with guns blazing. I'm sure you'll have a more pleasant experience than mine....everyone else has!  :P

Good luck!!!  ;D

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2004, 12:15:28 PM »
Oh, lynne - that's horrible!

I didn't have to send anything in prior to my appointment.  I just called and got an appointment.  They sent me pamphlets telling me what to bring as far as identification and proof of eligibility to apply.

And that lady you spoke to was wrong - you do have a right to the NI number if you're actively looking for work.  Sometimes they just can't be bothered, it seems.   :P

You'd think they'd relish interviewing people who are getting the NI number so they can actually work and contribute, rather than those who are simply obtaining one to get benefits paid to them... >:(
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab