Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Clarification with new and old passport please  (Read 433 times)

• Liked: 0
Clarification with new and old passport please
« on: January 02, 2008, 10:52:16 AM »
Hello,

I just received my new US passport with my married name change in it. My old US passport in my maiden name is the passport that has my ILR in it. When traveling, is it neccesary from now on to travel with both pssports or do I need to get the ILR visa in my new passport? If I do need to travel with both, is it advisable to travel with my marriage certificate as well?

Thank you!
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about?

Re: Clarification with new and old passport please
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 12:08:45 PM »
Travel with both, you don't need the marriage certificate, just make sure you book the tickets in your new name. 

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 01:57:14 PM »
I would advise that you travel with both AND the marriage certificate, in order to prove that both passports are legitimately yours.

Vicky

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 02:22:21 PM »
You should certainly travel with both passports.  It is actually very common.  I work for an airline and check in passengers every day with two, even three passports containing various visas.  Hardly anyone travels with their marriage certificate if it's a simple case of just having your name changed through marriage, but that doesn't mean it isn't good advice to carry it anyway just in case.  Maybe get an extra copy of the certificate rather than carry your only copy.
Most people staple the back cover of their new US passport to the back cover of the old one.  If you have one of the new chip passports, then don't staple but use a rubberband instead to keep the two together.  Open your old passport to the page with your visa in it, slip the rubberband through there, then slip the rubberband through the middle of your new passport.  This way airlines and immigration officers can easily scan your new passport and find the page with your visa in it on the old one.

Brigette

• I love you like a fat kid loves cake!
    • facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 02:56:32 PM »
i travel with my old and new passport and my marriage cert, just in case.
Sharon-UK

Sponsored Links