Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Unmarried Partner Dependency Visa Questions  (Read 397 times)

• Liked: 0
Unmarried Partner Dependency Visa Questions
« on: January 02, 2008, 01:42:12 PM »
I'm just wondering if anyone has done the Dependency Visa but as an unmarried partner? My boyfriend and I have been together for just 2 years now and have only lived together in the UK for a year and a half. He is Australian though. He's been here for 3 years on a work permit and is staying for another 2 years, so naturally I want to stay with him, but we dont want to have to rush and get married or even engaged.

I have been here legally on BUNAC for a year then the other 6 months as a visitor. I actually got a multi-visit visa from New York and told them it was b/c my boyfriend lived in the UK and I didnt want to get held up at immigration at the airport. Now this visitors visa runs out on January 12th so I need to go back to the states and apply for another visa, I'm thinking the dependency visa as an unmarried partner but I'm worried that we havent LIVED together for 2 years but can prove the relationship for 2 years. And yes we have joint bills and lease and proof of flights and finances, I even have a letter from an employer saying I have a job awaiting me! Its just the 2 year thing that worries me?

Can anyone shine some positive light on this subject? The sooner the better is greatly appreciated as I still need to buy a ticket to go to US next week and sort out the online visa and biometric appointment.

Thanks so much!!

• Banned

• Liked: 4
Re: Unmarried Partner Dependency Visa Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 01:59:41 PM »
If you lived together 2 years ago and have done since then apart from the 6 month gap then you will be okay as long as you can prove the relationship was continuous throughout the gap.

However, if you only moved in together 1.5 years ago, and the six month 'gap' was at the beginning of the relationship, then you don't qualify.

Vicky

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 02:25:25 PM »
Yes, I can only prove we've lived together for a year and half, but I can prove that for the first 6 months, I couldnt move over b/c I was in uni. And our emails in the first 2 weeks talk about me coming over on the BUNAC student working permit which is what I was on for a year and now I'm on a year long multi visit visa.

Any other suggestions on how I can stay here in the UK and legally work then?

• Banned

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 02:35:12 PM »
You can't apply as his dependent for six months.  You need to look at work permits, TWES, any other employment or volunteer category.

Vicky

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 02:38:23 PM »
Is unmarried partner and dependecy the same thing? Or could we apply for that?

What about fiancee visa?  and then in 6 months apply for dependecy?

I have tried a work permit but the employer i worked for got denied b/c they could have hired a UK citizen...

thanks again!

• Banned

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 02:41:57 PM »
You can't apply for the fiancee visa if you have no intention of marrying - that would be an abuse of the system.

There are miscellaneous categories which involve someone being dependent on someone else, fiancee, spouse etc.

Unless you can think of another category which wiill keep you in the UK independently, then you are going to have to return home, and wait six months to apply.

Vicky

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 02:53:39 PM »
Any you're saying we wouldnt qualify for unmarried partner visa either?

And I cant apply for another multi visit visa as that would be a lie as well b/c its not just to visit really, correct?

Although the first visit visa was on the grounds that my partner was working here and I came to visit a lot... ?

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 03:08:07 PM »
They wouldn't refuse an entry clearance solely because you were applying back-to-back against an existing one, because people do that all the time.  They would refuse based upon the spent leave rule.

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 03:11:19 PM »
Sorry I dont know what you mean by the spent leave rule...

are you talking about me applying for another multi visit visa. The one that is to expire on 12 Jan.

thanks

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 03:14:15 PM »
And just to clarify we DO plan to marry. We just dont want to have to rush into it b/c of immigration laws.

I would in a heart beat if it were all my call. but my boyfriend hates the idea of getting hitched and its not on our time if you know what i mean.

:)

we said we would do that at last resorts...

Sponsored Links