Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: DVD format  (Read 2286 times)

• Liked: 0
DVD format
« on: April 11, 2004, 07:40:44 AM »
Well, here's an easy one- Is there a difference between the DVD's one buys in the U.S. versus those in the UK and Europe in general? I didn't know if the format was identical...

Thanks,

Sun King
The Sun King

• Life needs to be worked at.
Re: DVD format
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2004, 07:43:40 AM »
Yes dvd in the uk is region 2 i think and in the USA its region 1 and therefore they wont play in an english dvd unless the machine is capable of reading US dvds. :)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2004, 07:44:09 AM by waterg »
G

• Love Exile
    • stoat
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2004, 01:15:01 PM »
It's possible to get multi-region players over here.  We've got one and love it.
~Emily

"It is one thing to say that our feet do not know they are feet.  It is quite another thing to say that they are illusions."  --Ernest Holmes

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2004, 02:01:42 PM »
Yes, mulitregion dvd's are quite cheap!  We got ours from Amazon.com for about £40 and it plays both formats very well.

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2004, 04:26:28 PM »
You guys are great- Thanks for the quick response. Sounds like dual-region is definitely the way to go...Ironically, I don't have a DVD player here, but I do have some DVD's I've bought through the years in preparation for its purchase; I was going to wait until I moved to Europe to buy one, and I erroneously assumed the format was the same (Can't they EVER get it right? Mon dieu, we're in the digital age now!)

Cheers,

Sun King
The Sun King

• Love Exile
    • stoat
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2004, 10:04:52 PM »
Definitely wait until you get here to buy one.  I don't believe that multi-region players are available in the US, and they might even be illegal (you know how the entertainment industry is...)  ::)
~Emily

"It is one thing to say that our feet do not know they are feet.  It is quite another thing to say that they are illusions."  --Ernest Holmes

• Burlesque Dancing Yogini
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2004, 11:56:28 PM »
Regions-free DVD's are illegal in the US. You can get them thru shady websites. I got mine thru a friend.
Lived in Cheltenham, England> 2003-2004
Lived in London, England> August 2005- April 2009
Back home in Brooklyn, NY since April 2009

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2004, 08:02:22 PM »
We use our PS2 to play our DVD's. Since we bought it in the UK, it won't play US DVD's but we have this thing called DVD Region X which is a DVD that essentially tells the PS2 to 'switch' regions and this allows us to watch whatever DVD, no matter the region.

It's cheaper than buying the multi-region player.  :)
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

• Burlesque Dancing Yogini
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2004, 12:33:43 AM »
Great idea Ashley! My English boyfriend wants both a PS2 and DVD player. Maybe I should recommend him just buying the PS2 then.

Is the DVD Region X expensive/hard to find? Thanks!  :-*
Lived in Cheltenham, England> 2003-2004
Lived in London, England> August 2005- April 2009
Back home in Brooklyn, NY since April 2009

• Liked: 12
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2004, 02:08:59 AM »
Before you dish out cash on a multi-region DVD player or PS2, make sure your computer can't play region 2 DVDs first! Many computers actually switch from one region to the other automatically if they have DVD playing capabilities. My boyfriend bought me a region 2 (UK) DVD for my birthday, and I was able to watch it right on my laptop without any trouble.  :)
Plans on hold 'cuz Brexit

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2004, 03:27:31 AM »
Problem is with that that my computer says you only have a certain amount of times you can switch betweent the two.  Sucks if you ask me.  I personally am going  to fork out for a multi-region and dual voltage one if I can.  If not then just a basic multi-region in the UK.  
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2004, 08:53:36 AM »
I did a quick Google search and found this company:
http://www.dvdoverseas.com/dvd.htm

Even if you don't order from them, they give a good description of what everything means. And...I wasn't aware you can buy dual voltage machines!
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2004, 02:49:36 PM »
http://www.richersounds.co.uk/index.php?f=itemlist.php&c=1201

Regarding computers:  The mojority of drives will allow the user to switch regions up to 5 times before it is permantly locked (ie: not allowed to change regions again...ever) so be carful!

Check this little freeware program out (PC users) to fool the drive into NOT using up those vital changes left over.
(there's many other tools to use for this particular issue.... The internet if FULL of useful information and utilities to sort this situation. :)

http://www.inmatrix.com/files/dvdgenie_download.shtml

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2004, 01:06:34 PM »
Is the DVD Region X expensive/hard to find? Thanks!  :-*

We got it from GAME. And I don't recall it being expensive. The same as a normal DVD.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2004, 08:56:53 AM »
PS2 Region X Disk

Price  £9.99
or
11 Used & New from £7.00

Sponsored Links