Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Hello from San Francisco  (Read 965 times)

• Hi there.
  • Liked: 0
Hello from San Francisco
« on: April 13, 2004, 02:49:14 AM »
Hey everyone,

I just discovered this great site today!  Looks like a goodun!

My boyfriend is an Italian citizen applying for London jobs.  There is a chance he'll be leaving the Bay Area soon for this.  In the event he gets a job there, I'd like to live with him.  I understand that I can live with him there as a domestic partner, if I can prove that we have lived together as boyfriends for 2 years...alas I cannot.  We don't really live together.   :P

I'd love to live with him, and also get a job there, but I can't think of a way to make that case to the Visa officers.  I thought of applying for college over there, as that is another way to show a reason to be there long term.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

-lobsterjesus

• Liked: 1
Re: Hello from San Francisco
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2004, 02:56:43 AM »
College works great if you can do it lobsterjesus.  I have to admit I am cracking up over the nick!  Italian men are gorgeous!

Hope you find what you need here!

Welcome to UKY!
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2004, 02:59:45 AM »
hey and welcome  :)
i must admit, i've heard of jesusfish, but lobsterjesus?  hehe...like it  :D
Take a month and show some kindness for the folks who thought that blindness was an illness that affected eyes alone.    --maya angelou

• Burlesque Dancing Yogini
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2004, 03:26:20 AM »
Hey lobsterjesus!

My boyfriend is English and the only way I could go to the UK was to apply to college.

If you decide to take this route, make sure you apply to a college that is affiliated with the American Financial Aid system (unless you're wealthy and not concerned with international student tuition fees.) Most UK colleges charge anywhere from 7-9,000 pounds per year and that only includes tuition fees (not room & board, books, etc.)

My boyfriend is studying at a college that is NOT affiliated with the American Financial Aid system so I paid around 8,000 pounds (close to $12,000) for one year of college. I had to take a personal loan out to pay for the tuition.

Also, you will only be allowed to work 20 hours per week due to British Immigration laws. You will be considered part-time at 20 hours per week so therefore its highly unlikely that you will get a very high-paying job. I got about 1 pound above minimum wage and 'fought' for that wage because I had alot of prior experience (I worked at Gap in England.)

I lived off my savings from home and I dont have much left. That is why I had to come back to NY... :( I didnt attend the 2nd semester of college and recieved 50% of my tuition back.

Remember that London is VERY expensive (much more then San Francisco) so you would have to rely on either your boyfriends wages or your savings to pay your daily living expenses.

Right now I am looking into the London Institute/Fashion College. It IS affiliated with the American Financial Aid system. I am waiting to hear back from them because I applied quite late. Most applicants for this upcoming autumn sememster should've applied by January. I also need to see how much Financial Aid I would recieve. (But as a side note, I applied for college in Cheltenham quite differently. I emailed the International Student office and strictly corresponded with them. Students must go thru the UCAS system to apply to any college. I didnt. I also started to correspond with them in JULY and got accepted by mid-Ausust.) Most UK colleges start in late September.

Good luck with your journey; keep us up to date with your ongoings. And if you have any other questions, feel free to ask me.

:-*
Lived in Cheltenham, England> 2003-2004
Lived in London, England> August 2005- April 2009
Back home in Brooklyn, NY since April 2009

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2004, 04:19:51 AM »
Hi and Welcome!

• Liked: 2
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2004, 03:59:06 PM »
Hi Lobster, welcome aboard and good luck with everything. I think the living together visa is only for couples who cannot get married for legal reasons, eg one of them is still married to someone else or same sex couples. Have a look at the visa and immigartion boards for more info and ask away if there's anything you'd like to know.

Liz

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2004, 04:46:58 PM »

Hiya and welcome to UKY.I wish you all the luck in your pursuit  of living in the grand UK  ;D

Rhia

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2004, 04:51:17 PM »
Hello, going to college (or Uni as they say here) is not a bad idea but ny2uk is right about a lot of the pitfalls. That said, it is NOT hard to apply to many universities this 'late', espcially regular universities (fashion and art schools may be a bit different). Lots of English kids apply quite late and many of the big unis are used to dealing with American financial aid issues. If you are looking to get US financial aid though, you need to get going on that! Good luck!
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Hi there.
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2004, 07:15:21 PM »
Welcome LobsterJesus...I am sure you will find all the information you are seeking. People here are very much in the know, and are happy to help. You have come to the right place. Good luck!

Sponsored Links